V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove home from work this morning and noticed my left turn signal came on several times along the 14 mile trip. First I thought I was just sleepy and accidently hit it. When I got home it came on again. I let bike idle in driveway and it occured several times back to back. Turned motor off and kept ignition on, no signal. Started motor and signal came on. Vibration related, I do notice that left grip shakes alot. Any ideas on how to cure? Bike is 2004 FLHTC with 14000 miles, mostly stock.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Have you recently changed out handlbar controls?? I know when I changed mine out some of the buttons were tight and I had to take them of and reposition useing the slop in the screw.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Could be the TSSM. Hopefully not since that would be much more expensive than a bad turn signal switch or short somewhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike has been in shop since 4/6 and still can't find solution. Replaced switch, checked wires, TSSM, bulbs, sockets. Missed out on these beautiful days. I've got this sick feeling now!

·
Registered
218 Posts
WHen ever it comes on turn. It might make for a really cool ride. Maybe the bikes trying to tell you something. Otherwise get the shop manual and start checking for a short. You got one somewhere.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You keep saying (thinking) that it may be vibration related. Start at the source -- the motor. Check the motor mounts, exhaust flanges at the heads, and exhaust pipes. Did you do or have anyother work done? Check there.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Kenny

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing

Forelanne,
Did your shop ever figure out the problem?
My 2001 FXD started doing that last night while out for a ride. Does anyone know what would cause this? :blink:
I have not washed the bike lately so I know water getting in somewhere is not the problem.
It happened last summer and I thought I got rid of the problem because I had a bad TSM after checking the codes. I have about 900 miles on the new TSM so I don't think that is the problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I figure if we post solutions to the problems we have, we can save someone else some $ and time in fixing their bike. It cost $25 for me to replace a switch compared to taking it to a dealer and spending $65+/hour and then buy the part on top of that.

Don't get me wrong, I do take my bike to a local indy. for things I can't do myself, they do the work right and don't overcharge. But if I can save money....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts