V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else ever notice that some days out on the road it is really turbulent and some days are smooth as glass? I don't even know if it's wind or not, it's seems like some days the air is thicker than others and it takes more to "slice" through it. Maybe it's just me, I don't know, just thought I would throw it out there for a reality check ;) -Frank

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
A lot of it has to do with wind spped and direction, of course. But I noticed that 75 on an Interstate is a lot more turbulant than 75 on another road that has much less traffic. I think all those semis and other cars really churn the air for quite a while.

The other day we had 20-30 mph wind with gusts around 40, all from the west. My ride into work was fantastic, it hardley felt like I was moving at all. On the other hand, the ride home....

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Riding into a gusty headwind today was quite interesting. Solid wheels or no solid wheels today the wind was slamming me and I was moving the bike around.

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
I was riding today on I84 doing about 70 and getting the hell knocked out of me. I have found, just like flying, if you don't have a death grip on and let it kind of find it's 'center' it's a not as bad. Just don't have too loose a grip that the next gust knocks you off.

There was one steady gust that hit me that made it feel like the front end was off the ground for about 5 seconds. It was weird in that it was really smooth. Happened just as I was getting on it leaving a light.

Of course it immediately hit me that it wasn't the front end coming off the pavement simply because I'm still stuck with what the MOCO deemed enough without re-mortgaging my house.

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was getting blown around on the parkway pretty good today but it was so nice out you just start zoning out until another gust hits you. But hey, any day on my bike is better than a day in the truck :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts