V-Twin Forum banner

Tube or no tube

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Ed Y 
#1 ·
Anybody know if I can run a tube in this tire?

DUNLOP®/ Screamin' Eagle® GT502 180/60B17
This is the tire included in the wide tire kit (43768-06).

My bike came with spoked wheels. Do they expect me to buy new wheels for the wide tire kit? My dealer says "All Harley tires are rated to be used with a tube." Not sure what that means, but I took it as I could run it with a tube.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
road_king said:
If it says tubeless on the side of the tire you can go without a tube.
Not on a spoked rim you can't.

I think I'm going to run the tube. I found some posts at other sites. People have been doing this (running a tube in a tubeless tire) for years I guess.

#4 ·
Pikeslayer said:
Not on a spoked rim you can't.

I think I'm going to run the tube. I found some posts at other sites. People have been doing this (running a tube in a tubeless tire) for years I guess.
they run the same tires reguardless of solid rims or spokes . Fatboy Tubeless while the same tire on a Standard with spokes is run with a tube.I dont even think there are tires that are tube only anymore.

#6 ·
road_king said:
If it's a sealed laced wheel you can go tubeless. I have a set on my RK and run stock Dunlops tubeless.
Did those come from Harley sealed or did you have that done?
Have you adjusted spokes yet, and if so did it cause a leak?

Thanks!

#8 ·
I've got Bridgestone tubless radials on mine; when I questioned the dealer (Not a Harley dealer, obviously) about using tubes he pointed to some Aprillia super motards in the showroom that run tubes in radials no problem...have nearly 8500mi on now (and wore out one rear tire) and no problems...

Attachments

#9 ·
You can run a tube in any of the tires if you want. Now if the rim is standard spoke wheel you need a tube. We even seal up the standard version wheels in house and run many of the them tubeless. The main reason for sealing a spoke wheel is to keep water out of the inside of the tire as it causes rust and that over time can create a leak in the tube and thus you have a flat tire.

#10 ·
HDWRENCH said:
The main reason for sealing a spoke wheel is to keep water out of the inside of the tire as it causes rust and that over time can create a leak in the tube and thus you have a flat tire.
Good point. By buddy had some new tires installed at our local Indy a while back. They were spoke wheels off an 05 Sporty. The Indy showed me the wheels and how rusted the were. He couldn't believe how rusted they had gotten in just two years. I said i know for a fact he doesn't ride in the rain so he must be washing the hell out of it. The funny thing is the spoke wheels off my Heritage still looked new after three years. Of course i don't wash it much but have gotten caught in the rain plenty. Never thought about sealing them to keep the water out.

#11 ·
Tubeless tires and rims are designed to work together and I think not come off the rim as easily when you lose air. Something to do with the shoulder area on the tire. All the tires I have looked at say they can be used with tubes. I think they would run slightly hotter, but not enough that anyone is de rating the tire. I like the idea of sealing the spoke area to keep water out. I don't know if I would run a spoked rim that had been sealed tubeless, but I hear of more than few that do.
Mike

#12 ·
I'm a firm believer in running a tube, especially in the front rim. There is really no benefit to running without one. There are plenty of benefits to running with one. I probably would be in a hospital right now if I didn't run a tube in my front tire. Couple weeks ago I hit a pot whole going about 75mph. Hit so hard that it popped me out of my seat to the point where the only part of my body connected to the bike was my hands. Needless to say the pucker factor was HIGH!!! I kept the bike upright, but the front end was wobbling pretty bad. Pulled over to check if there was any damage. Sure enough the front rim had a dent in it big enough that I could see the tube on the inside of the tire. If it weren't for the tube I would have gone down, no question...

#13 ·
A good cheap fix for spoked wheels to prevent rust inside: use a brush and anti-seize around the spoke nipple holes every time the tire is changed. Been doing that for years and years on bikes with spoked wheels and never see any rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.