V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out if it is possible to get a new fuel line, the one inside the tank, for an FXDI. Parts book and dealer said no separate line available, have to get new fuel pump. Am having some slight hesitation issues at steady throttle, bike will not start with fuel pump fuse removed. This supposedly means hole in fuel line. Any one help on this? Thanks.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Mile Hi said:
bike will not start with fuel pump fuse removed. This supposedly means hole in fuel line. Any one help on this? Thanks.
No EFI bike will start without hi-pressure fuel feeding the injectors. My understanding is that with a small hole in the internal fuel line you'll get the hesitation at low fuel levels but not at a full tank. At low fuel levels you may hear the fuel pissing (in the tank) from the hole too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Poorly designed F.I. system

I have a 2006 low rider and just recently experienced the same problem you mentioned . Bike hesitated and missed as if it were an electrical problem,which partially it is ( electronic fuel injection). The problem was the same ,hole in fuel line . My bike is still under warranty and the dealer repaired the problem no charge . The bad part is it took a FRIGGIN MONTH ! The part is hard to come buy due to the fact its revised . Maybe Harley doesn't have enough to go around due to the fact they have to replace so many . Then after I got the bike back went for a ride guess what same problem . This time it was a faulty fuel injector connection . Which again the dealer repaired no charge ,I've got to give them credit . But I have had 15 bikes in my day and not one of them nearly as expensive ,or as unreliable for that matter . My next bike won't be a Harley tell ya that . Good Luck tracking down that fuel pump . Make sure you install the revised part and not the defective one .

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but is there a seperate fuel line?

Anyone know? Hate to buy whole new fuel pump just for a line. Want to find out before I go into the tank. The road yachts have a fuel line problem, and a seperate line is available. Must be a whole different fuel pump/line set up for the Dyna.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Yes, pretty sure there is a separate fuel line. When I've disassembled tanks, it is attached to the fitting on the OUTSIDE of the tank, where the disconnect is.

You'll have to remove the console, then remove the 10 torx screws. Lift the plate up. The fuel pump will be attached to that plate. The feed line is a thin white hose, it is corrugated-looking (can't think of a better word). It is attached to the fuel pump with the same type of clamp as attaches the cross over line. It's a bit of a pain to get it off.

Take some cutters (dykes?) and cut the crimped piece, come in from the side. Be careful, because the portion it's clamped onto is just plastic. Once the clamp is off, you'll need to use a screwdriver and leverage the hose off the tip. Then you can take a 7/8" socket and remove the large piece on the outside of the tank (I mentioned earlier). Unscrew that, and the feed will come out with it.

If you're unsure, just go to a nearby dealerhsip. They should be able to call up the parts drawing on their screen and print it out, I used to do it all the time.

Just to let you know, I was a tech for 3.5 years, and I can't think of one fuel PUMP that we ever replaced. Certainly doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I wouldn't be looking at that first off. The line is a possibility, but also a broken wire going to an injector (I've seen THAT lots of times, especially on '03 touring models, a bad design). But that harness can get pinched, worn easily.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Mile Hi said:
Trying to find out if it is possible to get a new fuel line, the one inside the tank, for an FXDI. Parts book and dealer said no separate line available, have to get new fuel pump. Am having some slight hesitation issues at steady throttle, bike will not start with fuel pump fuse removed. This supposedly means hole in fuel line. Any one help on this? Thanks.
I believe that you will get the fuel line with the fuel filter kit. Might as well change the filter while you're in there...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have an 06 Lowrider that has the same problem and I could hear gas leaking in the tank. I was able to order the high pressure line for the inside of the tank. It ran a little over $50.00 and should come with the Quick Disconnect that screws into the bottom of the tank. It is about a hours worth of work. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have an 06 Lowrider that has the same problem and I could hear gas leaking in the tank. I was able to order the high pressure line for the inside of the tank. It ran a little over $50.00 and should come with the Quick Disconnect that screws into the bottom of the tank. It is about a hours worth of work. I'll let you know how it works out.
Seeing as you woke up a TWO YEAR OLD THREAD... I'm pretty sure he's already got it fixed by now?

But yeah, you go ahead and let him know how it works out.... :whistle:

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK so it's old, but it is relevant. I go the new line, had it installed in less than an hour and what a difference. Smooth idle, no hesitation. and nice feel to the engine across the RPM range. The new line is made different to prevent the cracking the original had. I', happy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts