V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing a lot about high speed wobble, and discussing it with a fellow biker he showed me this article in Cycle World mag. has anyone tried this device seems to make sense. I have experience some wobble at about 85-90 mph when cornering. Check out this web-site?????
http://www.true-track.com/
What’s your opinion……On this product if you have tried it or know someone else who has?
Thanks for your replies…….
Sparky88{salute(

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
After more than a few handling surprises.........

.....on Indiana 62 and KY 10/22 loop, I got a Ride-Str8 package. Worked wonders - same idea as a True-Track. However, the King does ride a little tighter over bumps and so on afterward - not quite as cushy a ride.

All in all, if you like to push your scooter through some twisties you will enjoy it a lot more with either of these in my opinion. Depends on the taste of the rider.

:clap:

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
sparky88 said:
After hearing a lot about high speed wobble, and discussing it with a fellow biker he showed me this article in Cycle World mag. has anyone tried this device seems to make sense. I have experience some wobble at about 85-90 mph when cornering. Check out this web-site?????
http://www.true-track.com/
What’s your opinion……On this product if you have tried it or know someone else who has?
Thanks for your replies…….
Sparky88{salute(
I am running one and it does help in the twisties. It is worth the price. With it the urethane riser bushings, the 440 Progressives, and the Velva Ride motor mounts, all is well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Has no one out there tried sta-bo .com as yet ? I guess ill have to be the guinea pig , ordering a set soon, along with the velva ride mount !:hmmm:

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
sportking said:
Has no one out there tried sta-bo .com as yet ? I guess ill have to be the guinea pig , ordering a set soon, along with the velva ride mount !:hmmm:
Looked at ths sta bo stuff (used to be a guy on HTT that had them cheaper)and am interested, just didn't want to be the guinea pig. I have 80,000 on my 2000 road glide and would like to upgrade the suspension. I have all new swingarm bushings, rubber engine mounts etc waiting to go in when I finally break the original belt (bought the heavy duty side car belt).

Let is know how it works for you.

I do get a slow wobble around 100MPH in the corners. I don't panic, I just slow down. I wish there was a fork brace for the FLH series bikes. I actually believ it is more of a front axle bend/twist than a rear issue!!

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Thealien said:
I do get a slow wobble around 100MPH in the corners. I don't panic, I just slow down. I wish there was a fork brace for the FLH series bikes. I actually believ it is more of a front axle bend/twist than a rear issue!!
Absolutely agree. I have the same issue and do the same in slowing down.

The Velva Mounts (3) the TruTrac, and the 440's all that is set, the forks I believe are a huge issue.

I never understood the cartridge in one fork, and see they have dropped it now, wonder if a new left leg will fit a 05 RG?

On the brace if there was one made I would have it. I am a firm believer in fork flex and its effect on these gyroscopes we ride on.

Even steering dampeners work and are very cool but just so damn ugly hanging off a Bagger.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
apache36 said:
dr devon i live just a few miles from IN 62. i'm about 12 miles from the IN/KY border, south of corydon. if you're ever in the area let me know and we can hit 62 again....btw i recomend IN66 also.
josh

Apache - I am down in Houston now (moved around halloween) and if I am back that way I will definitely look you up. The 10/22 loop south of Cincinnati (Alexandria area) is a winner for sporty riding - goes thru Alexandria and Kincade park (the 159/22 junction is near there, and 159 heads you back north to Cincy). Really excellent. IN 62 is a beaut, never rode much of 66. Too bad.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've seen a couple of different homemade fork braces on FLT's but the cowbells have to be removed. I'd also like to run a fork brace.

I always kinda thought that you might be able to cut out some of the cowbell on the inside to clear the brace and it might work. Just never got excited enough about it to pursue it.

I'd be the first to admit I don't quite ride as hard as "thealien" but have had it happen to me too. I find that if you lean forward to put more weight on the front end, it also helps, plus don't tighten your grip on the bars. With 101,500 miles on my bike, I just replaced the rear belt (didn't break and in not too bad a shape), both belt sprockets, front motor mount and stabilizer links. Clevblock bushings looked fine so I left them alone. Also replaced clutch cable, throttle cables, and primary chain and tensioner. Just normal maint.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the true-trac and it got rid of about 75% of the wobble. Still would start on a trail brake into a high speed sweeper. Took it off and tried the sta-bo and it is like a road racer now. I can't get it to wobble now. I have tried everything. The only draw back is a little more motor vib. now through the seat of the pants. I called sta-bo about that and they said most of it would go away after 1000 miles. It has. The thing is on a rail now. This is my 03 SERK that has 119HP and 129TQ now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
True Track front fork wobble

Just ordered one. The guy on the phone says: what kind of bike? How much do you weigh?

I ask him: Why?

He says: With a Road King and a light rider, 150-160 lbs. they had some wobble transmitted to the front forks. Since my left leg weighs 150 lbs by itself, he says I will have no problems. He said the heavier bikes, Ultras, don't have the problem.

I have no idea about this, but that is what the guy on the phone at True Track said to me when I ordered it.

Seabrook

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
B767capt said:
I had the true-trac and it got rid of about 75% of the wobble. Still would start on a trail brake into a high speed sweeper. Took it off and tried the sta-bo and it is like a road racer now. I can't get it to wobble now. I have tried everything. The only draw back is a little more motor vib. now through the seat of the pants. I called sta-bo about that and they said most of it would go away after 1000 miles. It has. The thing is on a rail now. This is my 03 SERK that has 119HP and 129TQ now.
Sure would be nice to get hold of the installation insts for the Sta-Bo unit. Any chance you could scan them and post them here???

Also, was any mention made of life expectancy on them??

·
Registered
73 Posts
It took me 15 minutes to install. They slip in under the cover over the swing arm shaft. The cover has 2 bolts, one on top and one on the bottom. Call and talk to Kevin at the number on their web site. He told me the oldest set they have are still good. This product really fixed my wobble 100%. HD should have these in from the factory, in my opinion.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Installing Sta-Bo next week. Will let you know how it works. I get wobble at 90+ but i think it has to do with the 21" on the front. Didn't have it when stock until about 110 mph. Worth a try...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a 98 Road King w/turbocharger. About 150 horsepower, and 97 cubes. I have done these modifications: Tru-Track, Progressive 418 adjustable shocks-lowered 1" in the rear, Race Teck front suspension also lowered 1" in the front, and Avon Venom X tires. I take the curve on south I-75 in Ohio just south of the Michigan border near the I-280 split at about 100mph as a test to see if it is wobbling. Not any more! Steady as a rock where it used to be very scary before the modifications. Friday www.dyno-power.com

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
rdking2005 said:
Installing Sta-Bo next week. Will let you know how it works. I get wobble at 90+ but i think it has to do with the 21" on the front. Didn't have it when stock until about 110 mph. Worth a try...
Please keep us advised. I'm very interested.

·
Registered
414 Posts
For those who were ordering last week, any updates on teh Sta-Bo or the Tru-Track? My problem is with a shimmy/wobble doing 85mph straight line? Anyone think either of these two products will help with this?
oh, riding a '04 RK Custom and weigh about 265lbs.

Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
I haven't received it in the mail yet. I was hoping yesterday, but maybe today. I will post as soon as I get it installed and ride.

·
Registered
473 Posts
HDWRENCH has finished the motor work and has installed the STA-BO for me. I will have the bike by Sunday and post my thoughts on this then. Hopefully for this small investment, it will be worth it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
DWhite said:
For those who were ordering last week, any updates on teh Sta-Bo or the Tru-Track? My problem is with a shimmy/wobble doing 85mph straight line? Anyone think either of these two products will help with this?
oh, riding a '04 RK Custom and weigh about 265lbs.
For D White of Dayton
Thanks
There are many, many factors that may cause the condition you describe. All should be looked into first:inspect tires for cupping, uneven wear, proper inflation, front fork bearings for proper adjustment, rear fork pivots for looseness, axles front and rear for proper alignment, see if it comes at 42.5 mph also but not as bad. I wrenched heavy duty trucks for 30 years and we found that tire and driveshaft vibrations usually occurred at double the mph-so if you felt it at 20 mph it would turn up again at 40, and again at 80, etc. I would not spend any $$ for either of these devices til I was sure it was not just a bad tire or bent wheel. Since you say it is on the straight and narrow your vibration appears, and mostly the Sta_bo and Tru-Trak are solving the dreaded hi speed curve hula, that is what I would try first. The MOCO manual has some pretty good info on how to check for these problems. I would do this work myself so you know the tests and adjustments are done properly! Friday www.dyno-power.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts