V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will puting on a set of true dual head pipes make my bagger louder? I'm not looking for a louder note. I really want to avoid that.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I put Duals on my RKC using the same Samson mufflers that I had ran with the stock headpipes. The bike was a little louder. Around town, it didn't bother me. On the interstate, it was annoying. However, I put in some lollipop baffles to add some backpressure. That took out some of the loudness.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I have a 95" motor that had the stock headpipes and SE Pro one piece mufflers. I recently changed the header to Bassani Power Curve True duals, keeping the same mufflers. The tone of the exhaust improved a lot, much deeper. But overall, there is no difference in loudness over the stock head pipe to my ears.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I have been thinking about the idea to put the real duals on my RKC 2001. I like the sound and the music coming from "separated" pipes and cylinders.

So, do I have to do some changes or modifications on the engine or on any other part of the bike, do I need to do something special in order to have true duals? As far as I can see, RKC pipes are "connected", the first cylinder "goes" 100% into ONE pipe, and the second (back) cylinder is "divided" into two pipes/mufflers.

Is it OK just to mount two pipes (true duals) into two cylinders, having NO modifications? I do not think so, but I am not sure.

Thanks for your inputs and experience.

Emirharley
[email protected]
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Thanks for the inputs, I appreciate that so much.

I do have Stage I kit (29489-99C : Screamin' Eagle Air cleaner and 32708-99B : Calibration Cartridge ) and I am about to remove my damegad SE Perf. Muffs. 65115-98 and to mount Pig Pipes.

What do you think, will this combination work?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Again, MM ain't what I know, but with the Delphi bikes the Dyna maps work better with the duals. Not sure if there is a difference on yours...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
emirharley said:
Sorry to bother you too much: what is MM bike?

Magnetti-Marrelli fuel injection was used by HD on early Twin Cam motorcycles.

emirharley said:
I do have Stage I kit (29489-99C : Screamin' Eagle Air cleaner and 32708-99B : Calibration Cartridge ) and I am about to remove my damegad SE Perf. Muffs. 65115-98 and to mount Pig Pipes.

What do you think, will this combination work?
Sure it will work. The question is, "will there be any tuning required to optimize your set up?"

As you know, HD reflashes are configured for all HD components.

Please let us know if you experience popping noises on deceleration with your new pipes.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
First of all, thanks for the reply.

You will be surprised when I tell you that I have had popping noises with and from my SE Performance Mufflers 65115-98.

But, the fact is that I LIKE TO HEAR POPPING NOISES, especially when I decrease my speed! Once upon a time I asked my authorized H-D dealer if they could remove these popping noises form my mufflers. They answered - yes, but in that case I would not have - popping noises. So..........

What is going to happen with my brand new Pig Pipes that I have to order from the USA, I shall be able to tell you......well in about 4 months, since it is almost winter here in Bosnia (the climate is almost similar like in New York)

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
It's a MM bike. If he has a Stage I, likely it'll run just fine with the Duals and no tuning.
I think you may need it re-tuned.

I have a 2001 Ultra with M&M, and it seems like everytime I did something to it, it needed to be tweaked.

If you intend to keep the bike, I suggest you get the SERT for the M&M. I did and I can do ANYTHING I want to the intake, exhaust, cam, etc... and still be able to tweak it. It is expensive, but worth if if you intend to keep the bike.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Yes, MegaGlide also suggested SERT.

But I refer to your post, and something is not clear to me: do you think that once I do the SERT, that I can do further changes and modifications without doing the SERT again? Can my "forthcoming" SE calibration cartridge do the job of SERT?

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
emirharley said:
Can my "forthcoming" SE calibration cartridge do the job of SERT?
Not really it's a limited calibration.

The download that HD sells is a one time thing. Use it and toss it. That is why HD promotes the download applications for HD accys only. The program written for that download was written for bikes with only HD accys. It is just not cost effective to dyno and write a download for every possible combination of pipes, cams, and intake available.

Several things to consider before buying one download.

1. All HD downloads tend to run lean, to improve fuel usage and lower emissions. So while it may work, it may not be optimal, especially in light of non HD accys.

2. Your M&M bike does not have a spark knock sensor like the Delphi bikes. So anything that may cause your bike to ping, i.e. too lean of a fuel curve, too much spark advance, low fuel octane, hot weather, may lead to spark knock. Where as with the Delphi, if spark knock is present, the ECM adjusts for it. On my bike spark knock was a big issues, even after dyno tuning. With the SERT, I was able to pull a few degrees of timing in certain parts of the MAP to get rid of the knock.

3. The future. With the SERT, in the future you can do anything to the bike and still tune it. Change cams, pipes, intake, pistons, headwork, etc....

Hope this was not too confusing.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Thank you very much for your time and your willingnes to clarify to me several issues. I hope you will not mind if I ask you an additional questions, i.e. very precise questions:

I am about to inastall Stage I kit (SE Air Filter and Calbiration Cartridge) on my H-D RKC 2001. Even though my SE Performance Muffs are damaged, I have just gotten from my friend ONE used SE Perf. Muff. that I am going to use instead the one that is damaged. So, I am supposed to do the SERT.

1. Do I need Calibration Cartridge at all?
2. Very soon I shall remove SE Perf. Mufflers and mount Pig Pipes. Do I have to do the SERT again? Or the SERT is "busy" all the time and will "recognize" the changes?
3. Since I like to change sound(s) of my bike, it is very likely that I shall soon or later mount again my old SE Perf. Mufflers. SERT again or no? Where my Calibration Cartridge is supposed to be: on the bike or on the shelf?
4..... and what about the Power Commander? Where this machine matches in this story?

I certainly intend to keep the bike, so please excuse me (all of you out there) if I push you to much with my questions.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
emirharley said:
Thank you very much for your time and your willingnes to clarify to me several issues. I hope you will not mind if I ask you an additionl question, i.e. very precise question:

I am about to inastall Stage I kit (SE Air Filter and Calbiration Cartridge) on my H-D RKC 2001. Even though my SE Performance Muffs are damaged, I have just gotten from my friend ONE used SE Perf. Muff. that I am going to use instead the one that is damaged. So, I am supposed to do the SERT.

2. Very soon I shall remove SE Perf. Mufflers and mount Pig Pipes. Do I have to do the SERT again? Or the SERT is "busy" all the time and will "recognize" the changes?
3. Since I like to change sound(s) of my bike, it is very likely that I shall soon or later mount again my old SE Perf. Mufflers. SERT again or no? Where my Calibration Cartridge is supposed to be: on the bike or on the shelf?

Please excuse me if I push you to much with my questions.

The Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) is a powerful tool that allows you to adjust many variables in the Electronic Control Module (ECM).

The SERT has the stage I calibration file (as well as all of the HD calibration files). So if you purchase the SERT, you will never have to purchase the calibration cartridge again because you already will have the information and the ability to transfer it to your ECM.

The SERT has two modes: Tuning Mode and Data Mode.

In Tuning Mode, a skilled tuner will use a dynomometer to adjust and optimize the ECM settings.

In Data Mode, you can hook your laptop to the ECM, ride around and record performance variables of your bike, and adjust the ECM variables yourself.

The SERT is a very powerful tool. Also, be advised that once you connect the SERT to your ECM, it becomes "married" to it, meaning you cannot use your SERT on another bike.

Because different exhaust pipes have individual flow properties, you most likely will need to re-optimize the ECM everytime you change pipes.

One other item, several HD dealers in the USA sell HD parts at 20% discount to MSRP. I wonder if you could find one that ships internationally. In this way, you might save some $$$ over the tremendous costs of HD parts in your country.

regards,

wyo

PS - you may download a copy of the SERT manual from HarleyHog's Lair

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Thanks, man.

You said that the SERT was a powerful TOOL. Since this is my first experience with the SERT, I did not get if the SERT was a "machine" (like Calibration Cartridge or Power Commander), or the SERT is PROGRAMME that H-D dealer is supposed to install in my bike?

As the second commnet, in my country of Bosnia I can buy NOTHING for Harleys, except the fuel. So, I have to go to our neighboring countries of Croatia or Slovenia (not very good option) or to remote Germany and the Netherlands (1,000 miles !!!). Now you understand how great my love for Harley is!

I have my Wish List for the next riding season, and that Wish List costs about 4,500 US$ in Europe, and about 2,000 US$ in the USA. Fortunately, I have few very good biker buddies from the USA working here in Bosnia for an American XXXXX (can't tell you, but you know what I mean), so they will order for me all the items from my Wish List. So I have to decide to put the Calibration Cartridge on the list or not, since I shall order Stage I kit (SE Air Filter). That is the reason why I ask so much.

Thanks for taking care and ride safe.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
emirharley said:
Thank you very much for your time and your willingnes to clarify to me several issues. I hope you will not mind if I ask you an additional questions, i.e. very precise questions:

4..... and what about the Power Commander? Where this machine matches in this story?

I certainly intend to keep the bike, so please excuse me (all of you out there) if I push you to much with my questions.
Please don't take this question the wrong way, but you do have regular access to a computer correct? Or at least one that you can either take to the motorcycle, or bring the motorcycle to I hope.

If you buy the SERT, you will not need the calibration cartridge. The SERT is a program for your PC, or lap top computer. You load the software into your PC, and then use a cable to connect it to the Electronic Control Module on your bike. Once it hooks up to the bike, it is "married" to that bike only. With the SERT, you can actually go in and change the settings on the ECM, change timing and fuel. You can do it as many times as you like. Say you load one program, and the bike runs great. Then you add the PigPipes, and the bike runs too lean, you can hook the bike back up to the computer, and using the SERT add fuel where you need it. Then you unplug the computer and off you go.

Now the Power Commander is a separate box that mounts on the bike. Instead of changing the settings in the ECM, it "fools the ECM" into doing what you want it to do. So say you add the PigPipes and the bike runs too lean. Whereas the SERT allows you to change the setting in the ECM, the PowerCommander interrupts a signal to one of the sensors on the ECM and modifies it making the ECM think it is running too lean. The ECM "adjusts" for this and enrichens the fuel curve.

I hope this does not confuse you too much, because it took me long time to catch on.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
My friend, NOW it is perfectly clear, I have no more questions about that. You wrote all information very carefully, step by step, just like in school, but the most important thing is that everything is clear......to me and I hope to other folks who are interested in this matter.

So, since I have laptop, I have to prepare money and I have to contact H-D dealer in order to buy SERT. I hope that my not very experienced H-D dealer in Croatia will be able to help me start using SERT programme that is going to be installed into my computer.

As I wrote previously, excuse me for asking so many questions, but please understand that there are the number of people/us who are not familiar with these issues, but we like our bikes and we know what we want, but we do not know (did not know!) what to ask for.

Thanks and ride safe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts