V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, been awhile since I have posted anything, but here is my question today,
- I have a 06 Electra Glide Classic, I was thinking about putting true duals on it, but I have been told that the 06 doesn’t like true duals, and that I shouldn’t do it because of the bike needing the back pressure from the factory/stock exhaust. Is this true ? I have done intake and installed slip on rinehart mufflers. I was going to get a tuner and dyno it, but the one Harley dealership told me I was just wasting my money, and that all I needed was a flash ? Not sure what to do !!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I put Vance and Hines true duals on my wife’s 06 ultra with a stock engine to give her better leg clearance. It ran just fine. Later, I built up the engine to a 98” big bore. I then installed a Rinehart true dual system which has a stepped header. The stepped header gives it performance closer to what a 2 into 1 into 2 system has. That bike runs great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
265 Posts
You will loose a little bottom end, but other than that it's not an issue, my 05 RK had duals and punched out stock mufflers.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
If you go true duals make sure what you're getting is actually true duals. Be careful of the description wording and even some dealers misinform. For instance, Cobra sells "True Dual looking" pipes but a lot of people don't pick up on the 'looking' part.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,956 Posts
Hello all, been awhile since I have posted anything, but here is my question today,
- I have a 06 Electra Glide Classic, I was thinking about putting true duals on it, but I have been told that the 06 doesn’t like true duals, and that I shouldn’t do it because of the bike needing the back pressure from the factory/stock exhaust. Is this true ? I have done intake and installed slip on rinehart mufflers. I was going to get a tuner and dyno it, but the one Harley dealership told me I was just wasting my money, and that all I needed was a flash ? Not sure what to do !!
Run away from anyone who uses the term "back pressure".

What did 'they' tell you was special about the '06 that it doesn't "like true duals"?

A good tune on a dyno is always superior to any other kind of recalibration, but with just intake and exhaust changes a dealer flash might give you what you want (albeit we don't know what that is). The advantage of a tuner is that you can make more calibration changes in the future if you make other upgrades/changes. A flash is one and done and you get what you get. There is no tweaking to do after a flash.

Reactions: Dannyboy58

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
use your current mufflers, get a tuner,,, other than anything built by harley,, and tune it.. it will be ok,,, true duals are not really good for making any power,,, but look and sound good..

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had true duals on my 04 FLHTI TC88 for a while. Cobra true dual headers and the screamin eagle slipons it had when I bought it. I loved the look and sound as Terry says but definitely lost a little lower end torque with them. The biggest issue I had was getting the headers to seal against the exhaust manifold. They seemed just a hair big and didn't seem to go inside the hole well enough to really mash and seal the gaskets. In retrospect I'd spend more for a better brand of header or tuned pipe like the rineheart mentioned above in the thread. The V&H 2-1 propipe I have on the bike now seems far superior in terms of fit, finish and performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts