V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 04 Roadking with a stage 1 upgrade. I'd like to go to true duals but don't want to lose lowend torque. What's my best setup? Would I get better results with a powercommander as oposed to just a flash upgrade? Is now the time to also upgrade the cam?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Don't waste your $150 on the HD download...........it's worthless.

Get yourself a Power Commander and use the maps made for the stock ECM.

I had true duals on my bike for a few weeks, and I didn't like them. There was a loss of low-end power that was very noticable. I went from stock headers/Wild Pigs to true duals/Wild Pigs..........and I should have stayed with the stock headers.

Now I have a Thunderheader 2-1.........and it runs great.

Good Luck,

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
One of the best true duals for low end is the Bassani Power Curves. Use them with a baffled exhaust like VH ovals, or SE-Pros so there is some restriction. You will still lose a few ftlbs over the stock pipe with the same mufflers. In my case, the better breathing and pull from mid range to redline makes up for it.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
Use them with a baffled exhaust like VH ovals, or SE-Pros so there is some restriction. You will still lose a few ftlbs over the stock pipe with the same mufflers. In my case, the better breathing and pull from mid range to redline makes up for it.
Amen to that!

Don't miss that pipe on the right side at all.

Love my duels and whatever I am missing in torque the
TW-6HG compensates for with a flick of the wrist :whistle:

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I posted below I gained H.P. and TQ overall on a 10 deg hotter day with Rineharts true duals over wild pigs and stock headers with crossover. Sound is
much better and the bike has a much cleaner look without that extra pipe on the right side.
Now I have to also admit that although their was an overall gain in HP and TQ it came on 200 rpm later. A very worthwhile sacrifice which I cant tell. Bike was dynoed at the same place both times. Good luck.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I have the samson true dual fishtails and i love them. Didn't notice any power loss going from V&H bigsots long to them. I also have a revtech sfo which made a big difference.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Maine ultra, how was the sound with the true duels and wild pigs? did you try different maps, maybe the tune was off a little. im really curious how it sounded going from stock head pipes to duels with the pigs.:beer:

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
Steve, off the subject a little! How much louder are the longer Thunderheaders for a dresser?? Are the better than the Wild Pigs?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I'm running V&H Dresser Duals w/ Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers.
With my cam and compression, it sounds just like a Harley should at idle and when you whack it, with the deep rumble at cruise.
Absolutely no torque dip. Over 80 ft/lb at 1900 RPM.

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
I have the Rinehart TD's on my Road King and the bike runs great. I ride with a guy who has the thunderheader on his Road King and the Rineharts definitely sound better to me. They REALLY open up on the highway and I have not personally noticed any of this "tourque loss" that people keep telking about. They run better than the stock headers BUt you must re-tune the bike for them. I guess if you just bolted them on and didn't do anything else then you might experience a performance loss but it's because the pipes breath better and you need to add more juice to make the whole package work together. YMMV.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
JohnyRRR said:
Maine ultra, how was the sound with the true duels and wild pigs? did you try different maps, maybe the tune was off a little. im really curious how it sounded going from stock head pipes to duels with the pigs.:beer:
I liked the sound of the Wild Pigs with stock headers........it had a great "natural" sound to it. When I put the true duals on, they got ALOT louder, and the "potato, potato" sound kind of got lost.

I played with the map to get rid of any decel popping..........which I did accomplish.

If I was doing it again..........I'd stay with the stock headers, and just put on the Wild Pigs. 4 of my buddies did this and they all sound good.

Steve

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
zenwee said:
Steve, off the subject a little! How much louder are the longer Thunderheaders for a dresser?? Are the better than the Wild Pigs?
Alot of people have labeled the Thunderheaders as being super loud and obnoxious......that is completely false.

My 2-1 TH is alot quieter then the Wild Pigs/Duals setup I was running previous. When I start cruising (50+mph), the TH mellows out and is just a deep rolling rumble. I have a much easier time hearing the radio with the TH then I did with the Pigs.

Now don't get me wrong..........if I want to make some noise I can......just take the revs up to 3500+ and it will let you know I'm around. But if I want to be quiet to sneak past the cop and not draw attention........I can do that very easy too.

Steve

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
i currently have the wild pigs with the stock headers. I was thinking of adding the fullsac kit to make them true duels but if it sound like crap why bother. i really like the pigs now, they are turning a little on the right side from all the exhaust going out on the right though. really dont need it any louder either as they are plenty loud now.

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4520&cat=500

Rinehart True Duals for Dressers are availble with three baffle choices. Stock are the 2 1/4" in blue on Dyno. However if low end torque and horsepower is what you seek the 2" in green on Dyno, shows a better HP & TQ curve for a useable power band. This is typical for stock or lightly modified motors. Again the need for a little back pressure improves performance. Also dual exhaust with no crossover is a little trickier to Dyno so it takes the right person to get the right results.

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
MegaGlide said:
If they are turning, it's from a bad tune, lean probably.
I received my Fullsac recored muffllers and true dual kit last week. I installed the mufflers on the stock head pipes and started up my bike. I did not like the sound mostly coming out of the right hand muffler. I didn't even ride it, I shut it down and installed the Fullsac true dual kit with recored mufflers. After a 60 mile ride (40 deg weather), I was convinced these are the ones for me. I'm still using the SERT from my original dyno.

This was the best decision on exhaust I've made over the years. The sound and performance is great.

Prior to this I was running stock head pipes with SE performance mufflers. By far this new setup out performs the old.

Dave

·
Registered
225 Posts
what was the turnaround time on recoring your mufflers?i'm seriously considering the same setup you have on my '06 rk custom.are they pretty loud without sounding bad?

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
Dave98684 said:
I received my Fullsac recored muffllers and true dual kit last week. I installed the mufflers on the stock head pipes and started up my bike. I did not like the sound mostly coming out of the right hand muffler. I didn't even ride it, I shut it down and installed the Fullsac true dual kit with recored mufflers. After a 60 mile ride (40 deg weather), I was convinced these are the ones for me. I'm still using the SERT from my original dyno.

This was the best decision on exhaust I've made over the years. The sound and performance is great.

Prior to this I was running stock head pipes with SE performance mufflers. By far this new setup out performs the old.

Dave
I have to agree with you 100%. The sound "quality" of the Fullsac True duals and mufflers is unsurpased!
RB

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
billzbubba said:
what was the turnaround time on recoring your mufflers?i'm seriously considering the same setup you have on my '06 rk custom.are they pretty loud without sounding bad?
He received them on November 23rd. They were back on my door step December 7th.

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts