V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Iron-Butt Hardcore
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a friend with an '04 Heritage who would like to swap out the factory pipes for some true duals. I'm not really familiar with what's out there, except that a buddy of mine has Samsons and they SUCK! They have turned all yellow, and sound and run like crap.

Anywayz--any recommendations for pipes that sound (and run) better than Samsons but are also cheaper than Rineharts?

Thanks,

-Fat

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Um, how was your buddies bike (the one w/ the yellow pipes) tuned?

V&H Dresser Duals and any slip on you want, for my money...

·
Iron-Butt Hardcore
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MegaGlide said:
Um, how was your buddies bike (the one w/ the yellow pipes) tuned?
He had a Stage 1 flash and a Power Commander--not sure if it had a pipe-specific map or not. His motor is otherwise stock (2005 FLSTNI).

The Samsons struck me as being junk mainly because most of the header pipe(s) is un-shielded. Even the best chrome is gonna turn yellow or blue.

Double wall, Baby!

-Fat

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Sorry that I have to dissapoint you, but even though I am Harley-Davidson owner, Harley-Davidson fun and Harley-Davidson freak, I have to emphasize that the PIEPS AND MUFFLERS on almost all Japanese bikes NEVER becomes blue or yellow. Never. Since I live in Europe, once upon a time, I bought three years old Yamaha Virago 1100 and had riden the bike for about next 5 years under various weather condition: the pipes are STILL (15 years later, I can check out the bike from time to time, since my friend owns the bike) like BRAND NEW, no blues of yellow. Believe me or not. Also, I paid attention to the pipes and mufflers of the bikes of my other firends/Japanese bikes owners - so, no one of them has any singe problem with the discoloration of the pipes or mufflers. And Japanese bikes have no heat shield at all!

And that is what I can not stand: we buy expensive H-D motorcycle and expensive parts/aftermarket parts, we get for our money poor H-D quality, and the people who ride cheaper Japanese bikes, and pay very affordable prices for parts and aftermarket parts, get very good quality!

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
emirharley said:
Sorry that I have to dissapoint you, but even though I am Harley-Davidson owner, Harley-Davidson fun and Harley-Davidson freak, I have to emphasize that the PIEPS AND MUFFLERS on almost all Japanese bikes NEVER becomes blue or yellow.

SORRY to burst YOUR bubble but most ALL stock Japanese headpipes on cruisers are DOUBLE WALL which means that they will not change color. Almost all Japanese SPORT BIKES are single wall and DO change color.

Never. Since I live in Europe, once upon a time, I bought three years old Yamaha Virago 1100 and had riden the bike for about next 5 years under various weather condition: the pipes are STILL (15 years later, I can check out the bike from time to time, since my friend owns the bike) like BRAND NEW, no blues of yellow. Believe me or not. Also, I paid attention to the pipes and mufflers of the bikes of my other firends/Japanese bikes owners - so, no one of them has any singe problem with the discoloration of the pipes or mufflers. And Japanese bikes have no heat shield at all!

And that is what I can not stand: we buy expensive H-D motorcycle and expensive parts/aftermarket parts, we get for our money poor H-D quality, and the people who ride cheaper Japanese bikes, and pay very affordable prices for parts and aftermarket parts, get very good quality!
EVERY aftermarket pipe that is single wall that I have seen for a "cruiser" has THE SAME "coloring" as the ones you would see on a Harley.
Discoloration is a product of POOR A/F ratio ! Plain and simple, Europe, Japan or the USA. And for those that are not capable of tuning the A/F there are things called heatshields, I know I designed the FIRST collector heatshield in the industry for a Harley aftermarket pipe.
As for afordability and quality: we have a saying "you get what you pay for"

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
To burst the bubble or not to burst the bubble - that is not an issue. The fact is that you do agree that the pipes on Japanese bikes do not blue - double wall or single wall, whatsoever, they do not blue, they do not yellow. And yes I was talking about Japanese cruiser/metric bikes.

So, let us go back to the"affordability": WE (WE !) pay for OUR Harley parts, i.e. pipes and mufflers a lot of money, and WE get poor quality, since THEY pay affordable prices for forever-lasting chrome pipes. Double wall, or single wall, whatsoever.

And please remember, you and I, we are not "enemies", you and I - we are on the SAME size of the story! If you do not agee with me, just check out the number of threads and posts on this Forum and you will discover that the number of people have similar problems. You do not need to "protect" H-D Motor Company, I shall do that for the both of us, or on behalf of myself as well as on behalf of yourself, since Harley has been tatooed into my heart!

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
hdfat2002 said:
Greetings,

I have a friend with an '04 Heritage who would like to swap out the factory pipes for some true duals. I'm not really familiar with what's out there, except that a buddy of mine has Samsons and they SUCK! They have turned all yellow, and sound and run like crap.

Anywayz--any recommendations for pipes that sound (and run) better than Samsons but are also cheaper than Rineharts?

Thanks,

at
I have the NEW samson true dual fishtails, these are a new model for 06 and they are great.They have full heatsheilds unlke the old ones. also they sound great and my performance stay the same as when i had the V&H bigshot longs on. The price is about 485.00

·
Runs with scissors!
8 Posts
NEW Samson True Duals

mori55 said:
I have the NEW samson true dual fishtails, these are a new model for 06 and they are great.They have full heatsheilds unlke the old ones. also they sound great and my performance stay the same as when i had the V&H bigshot longs on. The price is about 485.00
I have not seen much about these around here... Can you give more information about them? Fit? Finish? Chrome Quality? Hardware?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
05Deluxe said:
I have not seen much about these around here... Can you give more information about them? Fit? Finish? Chrome Quality? Hardware?

Thanks!
The fit and finish is great ,the heat sheilds are full length unlike the old one's that were in pieces. i actually canceled and order for the old ones when i saw them. The new ones are great 1 piece sheilds great chrome, as nice as my V&H bigshot longs plus they sound better to me.
Also my performance is just as good as before if not better. Everthing is included in the kit.
This were i got mine if you don't see it i would call.http://stores.ebay.com/AMERICANCLASSICMOTORS-610-754-8500

·
Runs with scissors!
8 Posts
mori55 said:
The fit and finish is great ,the heat sheilds are full length unlike the old one's that were in pieces. i actually canceled and order for the old ones when i saw them. The new ones are great 1 piece sheilds great chrome, as nice as my V&H bigshot longs plus they sound better to me.
Also my performance is just as good as before if not better. Everthing is included in the kit.
This were i got mine if you don't see it i would call.http://stores.ebay.com/AMERICANCLASSICMOTORS-610-754-8500
Thanks Mori! Nice to know that there is a way to get the look and not take a big performance hit...

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
05Deluxe said:
Thanks Mori! Nice to know that there is a way to get the look and not take a big performance hit...
i'm sure somone will say they lost torque or somthing when they did a dyno run. But in seat of the pants i didn't notice anything at all.

·
Registered
624 Posts
"emirharley: To burst the bubble or not to burst the bubble - that is not an issue. The fact is that you do agree that the pipes on Japanese bikes do not blue - double wall or single wall, whatsoever, they do not blue, they do not yellow. And yes I was talking about Japanese cruiser/metric bikes."

I've owned a couple of Japanese cruisers and the pipes blued/yellowed. Even have friends who own them and their pipes blued/yellowed, especially at the heads. Check out some of the metric forums, they usually have posts concerning their pipes bluing/yellowing. If your talking strictly stock pipes, I don't know that many folks who keep stock pipes on their Japanese cruisers. Most change them out first thing to get some sound, same as the HD folks. So I guess the aftermarket pipes are of poor quality too.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I would not like to argue with you: yes, I do agree that the pipes on several Japanese models do blues as well, but I emphasized that I see the Japanese cruiser bikes of my friends, their pipes and mufflers NEVER blue, as well as the pipes and mufflers of my previous bike Yamaha Virago 1100 (now 12 years old, my friend owns the bike) - NEVER, the pipes and the mufflers are like brand new - shine and glittering. Yes, and the pipes and the mufflers on the bikes of my friends who ride German BMWs. Please do not be angry on me, these are the facts, and I AM a Harley rider and I shall never again switch to Japs - but OUR problems makes me be very......well, I do not know what to say - mad, crazy, dissapointed, sad, angry?:badmood: :mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go with the Hooker true duels. I.m on my third set with my third bike. Never had a problem with blueing. The current bike is an o6 street glide with a 124 S&S which I switched in. The others had 95 inch kits. All ran real strong and sounded great. They are also tuneable.

·
Runs with scissors!
8 Posts
mori55 said:
i'm sure somone will say they lost torque or somthing when they did a dyno run. But in seat of the pants i didn't notice anything at all.
Which map did you use? Where you able to get it dialed in good?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts