V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise. I have a '99 FLHRI. The motor has Big bore kit, 9.5 compression pistons, SE heads, SE211 cams, stage II burn on ECM, larger throttle body, PC II and SupperTrapp slipons. Like most other EFI bikes the deceleration popping is a bother. My wrench suggested that I put true duals on the bike to eliminate the crossover. He said that this would help the popping.
Any thoughts out there on this? Also, regardless of the popping would the true duals affect HP output?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't like them.

They are likely to help with the popping on deccel.

The Y pipe on the dressers is not a crossover, as a matter of fact the headpipes on the dressers act a lot like a extremely low budget 2 into 1. With built in reversion but a cheap 2 into 1 none the less. The left canister is cosmetic for the most part.

Putting a 2 into 2 or true duals on these bikes has much the same effect as removing the crossover on the little bikes. Not good. Even worse with EFI.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess I just don't get it.I've been wanting to put true duals on my Classic but everyone I talk to says not to waste the money.What the hell is going on here?Some one please explain why true duals aren't worth a crap.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The performance aspect is explained in the post above yours.

In addition the left side exhaust on the true duals has to make two very sharp bends right after the port and the primary pipe lenghts for both cylinders are grossly unequal. How many strikes do you need.

The mounting of the left side exhaust is also not good. Generally they are only supported at the port and by the hanger at the rear. The flanges loosen all the time and the pipes change position. In extreme cases the studs in the rear head break off. On the Bub systems it is necessary to remove the left side exhaust to remove the left sidecover.

There are documented cases on built engines where removing true dual systems and installing a 2 into 1 gained 30 HP, no other mods not even dialing the bike in.
Yes, 30, like from 70 to a 100.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hippo- Thank you for the response.Now I understand.It is funny how marketing and one sided write-ups make you think you "need" something when it really does you no good at all.Thanks again.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So 2 into 1 would be a good idea over my Hooker slip-ons? ('02 RG, 95" heads, cams)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have recently installed Bassani Power Curve system on my 1999 FLHRCI and it certainly has eliminated the popping AND I have gained some HP/TQ as well. My motor is 88" with SE 203 cams, SE air cleaner and PCIIIr. Dyno run shows 81.5 HP and 90 TQ... not bad for a nearly stock 88" motor. .jpg of the dyno chart on request...

dick - peoples republiK of chino

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Chinorider, what is the bassini power curve system?

greg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Hippo if I take the Samson Duals off and put the stock headpipe back on with the same SuperTrapp slipons are you suggesting that I could INCREASE HP output over my current system? ( I started this thread ) I understand that my baffels would have to be adjusted to get closer to the 90/10 flow (or whatever the % is side to side). If true this is a real blow to the true dual concept.
I can accept the physical limitations of the true duals ( in fact I am going out to the shop and check the headbolts) and I understand that the header lengths are different but aren't they different on a 2 into 1 system as well?
My problem is personal apperance preferance. On a bagger i think dual exhaust is a must - it is part of "the look". So I apparently will be sacrifising HP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gbenner said:
Chinorider, what is the bassini power curve system?

greg
The Bassani Power Curve System is essentially a 2 into 2 exhaust system that utilizes a wierd looking loop for the rear exhaust to make it nearly the same langth as the front pipe. I say nearly because I don't know if they are exactly the same or not. You can see the system at http://www.northcountycustoms.com

·
Registered
129 Posts
My experience with the Bub true duals has been quite different , we tried many different exhaust combinations on my 99 - 95" FLHR , each step of the modifications we tested on the dyno (Dynojet 250 , at sea level) being in Australia has it's own unique problems when trying to obtain aftermarket exhausts for the FLH series , as nothing is made locally and the FLH being a low volume seller , due to the low volume importers are reluctant to stock expensive items like exhaust sytems .
To cut a long story short , the Bub system overall gave as much HP and better torque than the 2 into 1 System from Bub . The system has been on this bike for over 2 years and 33000 km , in that time nothing has loosened - fallen off or broken , It's true that the rear pipe mounting system is questionable , however we have had no problems with it .
My modifications (which are mild) give 79 hp and 106 ft lbs torque , quite respectable figures .

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In a way you are making my point. A 95" that can make 106 lb/ft on a 250 is a very nice engine. The fact it makes 79 HP speaks for itself and comparing the Bub 2 into 2 to Bub's 2 into 1 is the only time it will look good. It should be in the mid to high 90's.
If you are happy with your bike that's all that counts, but if you were to slap on a E pipe or a TH if the bike is carbie just for one run, you would see what we are talking about.

You might have a very unusual combination that responds different, I don't know that, hard to say without knowing what's in the engine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
true duals , pros and cons .

My engine mods consist of the following .Bored to 95" - SE cast flat top pistons - heads flowed to 130+ cfm - TW21 cam - Jims Powerglides - Jims roller rockers - SE adjustable pushrods - Bub true duals with their Bad dog mufflers - Mikuni HSR 42 - SE air cleaner kit - Synthetic oil in engine and trans .
The bike is used regulary on 5000+ km trips in the outback so reliability was the most important factor , also being able to pass road trains of 55+ metres in length and with them travelling at 110 +kph on secondary Australian roads was another factor .

We also have a 99 - 95" FXDWG with the same engine mods except for the exhaust system and cam , this has a Supertrapp 2 into 1 with the disc system muffler and TW 26 cam , best hp for this unit is 82 with 96 torque , with the torque a lot higher in the rev range .

I'm always looking at improving my ride so if you supply the part # s of those two systems I will order both and try them for myself .
TIA X .

·
Registered
134 Posts
As someone that has had the stock system with Wildpig slipons , then Samson True Duals with Wild Pig slip ons and finally the Vance and Hines 2into1 Pro Pipe, I can honestly say that Hippo is on the money. I have not put this bike on a Dyno , but from shear seat of the pants testing , Im blown away by the performance of the 2into1 on a stock 88 with only the K and N Filter and PC3r .
I was actually disappointed at the performance I LOSt when I installed the Samson True Duals. It felt like a real lag in the midrange but was smoother at high speed.And the rear pipe support bracket removal was just plain silly!
But the 2into1 Pro Pipe has a powerband that just wont quit ! The fit and finish are tops. I cant say enuff good about the difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Bub true duals on my 01 RK. They didn't do that much with the popping on decel. A custom map completely eliminated it. Anyway, I just cruise around and I can't tell any difference between how it perfoms with the stock headers and the true duals. Also, although it might be the difference in the model years, the rear header also bolts to to a bracket on the starter. It seems pretty solid to me. And I can also get my left side cover off with no problem. I did have to take the rear header off to change my primary case gasket. I don't think I would have had to do that with the stock setup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 2 into 2 works better in the heat. The more the temp drops, the worse mine ran. Plenty on the top end but NO LOW END with the 2 into 2!
I just removed Bub 2 into 2s and reinstalled the stock header with Bassani slip-ons. The "seat of the pants" power increase feels like 10+ more HP with stock, deeper sound and no more popping on decel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Moondog,

On your Vance & Hines Pro pipe what is the sound like on that? I just have the Screamin Eagle slip-ons with removable baffles on mine now, would you know how the sound compares to those. Also how long have you had them? Guess there is no bluing at all with these? Easy to install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
gilb66 said:
Moondog,

On your Vance & Hines Pro pipe what is the sound like on that? I just have the Screamin Eagle slip-ons with removable baffles on mine now, would you know how the sound compares to those. Also how long have you had them? Guess there is no bluing at all with these? Easy to install?

Thanks!

These pipes are now about 1500 miles old and they have FULL heat shields , s theres no blueing. I think that the installation is a breeze compared to the true duals.
And the sound is incredible at idle and f*kin deeeeep on acceleration(IM TOLD...LOL);)
If you go for these, I guarantee , you WONT be sorry !

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been seeing so many mixed reviews about performance losses and gaines depending on the type of setup.....baffle this, true dual that, fuel pack this..... it's no wonder there are so many confused rookies out there.

I know that most of us motorcycle enthusiasts are consumed with sound, looks and performance, but the bottom line is that a good sound and looks is easily obtainable given the appropriate funds. However, the main key to performance exhancement is the adequate fuel/air ratio. I've seen cheap, ratty and old drag pipes outperform some of the big name exhaust systems just due to the fact that the fuel/air ratio was perfectly dialed in.

Food for thought.

·
05 Flhrci
135 Posts
I'll take the looks and sound anyday. If I wanted to race I would have bought a rice burnin sport bike.​

1 - 20 of 30 Posts