V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose this question has already been asked several times, but I hope you will not mind this question once more.

So, I'd like to go with true duals (pipes/headers) on my 2001 Road King Classic. Since I have DFO installed, do I need to do ANY additional modification, or just to remove my stock crossover pipes and just to mount true duals (pipes/headers)?

Thank you very much for your comments in advance.

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
MegaGlide said:
Nope, that should do it.
Can you please recommend few (or several) sets? Since I have contacts with J&P Cycles and possibility to get the parts via postal service, can I buy there something that you would recommend?

What about the heat shields? I suppose I can use the stock shields?

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
emirharley said:
Can you please recommend few (or several) sets? Since I have contacts with J&P Cycles and possibility to get the parts via postal service, can I buy there something that you would recommend?

What about the heat shields? I suppose I can use the stock shields?
J&P Cycles can get you several "true dual" systems that already come with heat shields.

There is this company that is closer to you that might be able to help http://www.zodiac.nl/

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
The only ones I've heard nothing truly awful about are the V&H Dresser Duals, the Hookers, those cool looking Hard Khrome ones, and Rinehart seems to have solved most of their earlier QC problems.
Oh, and the Bassanis, if you don't mind your bike looking like it has a rupture on the right side. Heard some heat issues w/ those as well.

And they come w/ heat shields. Yours won't work.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys very much for your inputs.

2wkohn: yes, I know everything about ZODIAC company from The Netherlands, especially beacuse I go very often to this country (by the way, the Netherlands in the Heaven on the Earth, extraordinary people!)

But, our European prices are up-up-to the sky, so whenever I can I try to get my parts from the States. Just one example: my battery is dead. European price is about 200 EURO (about US$ 250 !!!). My friend bought for me in the States TWO ORIGINAL Harley batteries for US$ 38 + shipping costs. Two batteries! Example two: I paid my f*cking Screamin" Eagle Performance Mufflers 65115-98 about US$ 1,077.00 in Austria (Europe), and the price in the USA in Harley catalog is US$ 359.95.

I have several reasons to say: Long live the USA! Not only because the money or Harley issues, remember the huge help of the USA to us Bosnians during the aggression against our country! We respect that. And remember.

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for pushing this issue to much, hope you won't mind it.

So, I have two additional questions:

1. Why those "rear-cylinder-pipe" and "the-front-cylinder-pipe" are connected? Some special reason? Obviously some Softail and Dyna (for example Softail Standard) models have 2 into 2 system, since (for example) the Fat Boy pipes are "connected", too. Just like the Road King Classic's pipes are, even though they are not the same type of pipes.

2. In order to find out the simple solution for getting "true duals" (for me, it is expensive and complicated to get parts from the USA, so whenever I can I am looking for other possibilities), what do you think about an idea just to CUT that pipe/part of the pipe which makes the connection between the left and the right one pipe, and just to WELD/CLOSE the holes in left and right pipes? Does this make sense?

Thanks again for your respected advise.

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a nice bike! Congrats.

I respect your opinion and I think that you are right 100%. We all should stay away from the grief. But I am just "investigating" possibilities and I'd like to emphasize that I intend to keep my mufflers, so this solution is not realistic for me, since I am talking about the "true dual pipes" on which my mufflers are supposed to be bolted!

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Why not check out E-Bay and the Fulsac conversions, a lot less money and a good product. Just my -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
bountyhunter said:
Save yourself the grief, go with some Hard Krome 3" T-Rex True Duals. Do it right the first time! Ya wanna play, ya gotta pay $$$$.

They are some sharp looking pipes, wish they had em for a softail.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Bountyhunter,

Do you have a pic of the other side of your bike you could post? Like the looks of the T-rex but would be helpful to see both sides. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
emirharley said:
Sorry for pushing this issue to much, hope you won't mind it.

So, I have two additional questions:

1. Why those "rear-cylinder-pipe" and "the-front-cylinder-pipe" are connected? Some special reason? Obviously some Softail and Dyna (for example Softail Standard) models have 2 into 2 system, since (for example) the Fat Boy pipes are "connected", too. Just like the Road King Classic's pipes are, even though they are not the same type of pipes.

2. In order to find out the simple solution for getting "true duals" (for me, it is expensive and complicated to get parts from the USA, so whenever I can I am looking for other possibilities), what do you think about an idea just to CUT that pipe/part of the pipe which makes the connection between the left and the right one pipe, and just to WELD/CLOSE the holes in left and right pipes? Does this make sense?

Thanks again for your respected advise.

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

EMIRHARLEY,

Regarding your questions:

1. The intent of tying the front and rear pipes together is to create a pressure balance between the two and also create a minor scavenge effect. Placement of an effective "crossover" is dependant upon the many engine variables that differ from package to package. There are some physics rules that one can follow in placement of a balance tube but to really make it work would require lots of testing on a dyno and a lot of pipe. The basic Harley system/layout is very good despite what some people want you to believe.

2. As for creating an economical dual setup then consider contacting the folks at Fullsac. http://www.fullsac.com/products.htm They make a "true dual" headpipe conversion kit that is very inexpensive and would allow you to use OEM style mufflers of your choosing. The stock dimension pipes will flow very well when coupled with free-flow mufflers and it looks/sounds good. Some people will say otherwise to justify their big $$$ "investment" in the show of the month pipes and/or a piece of paper with colored lines on it.

Some good detailed information regarding Harley exhaust flow may be found at: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm

I hope this helps some. Good luck with whichever direction you choose and enjoy the ride.

EZ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts