V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a buddy did an 800 mile round trip ride this weekend and he was having some weird problems with his Road King along the way. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what was going on. He's taking it in to the shop today but I'm curious now.

It's a 2004 Road King. He had it in the shop earlier in the week for an oil leak at the rocker box. This was his first ride of any distance since getting it back.

His bike was running perfectly the first day, but the "check engine" light kept going on and off. We kept going and the bike kept running fine, but his gas mileage was terrible. He was only getting about 20 mpg when he usually gets about 35. He said the throttle response seemed sluggish too and he had to have the throttle wide open at 85.

The next day on the way back home his mileage was back up to where it should but, but now the bike was spitting and backfiring and took awhile to get up to highway speed from a stop, but once we got going it was fine.

I think it was something going on with the ECM. Does anyone have another ideas?

·
Free agent
795 Posts
Is the bike stock? Is there a fuel management system on it? Is there a possibility that when he had the bike in for repair that they disconnected the system for whatever reason?

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chrt396 said:
Is the bike stock? Is there a fuel management system on it? Is there a possibility that when he had the bike in for repair that they disconnected the system for whatever reason?
It's stock, no PowerCommander or SERT or anything like that, but I think they probably tweaked something along those lines when they pulled the tank to get to the rockers.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Check all of the wire connections and the wires for a pinch or a break. Pinched plastic insulation can cause a short to ground and sporadic signals to the connection.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
route66paul said:
Check all of the wire connections and the wires for a pinch or a break. Pinched plastic insulation can cause a short to ground and sporadic signals to the connection.
@gree: I think they may have a wire chafing or piinched some place under the seat. Just sounds to sproadic to be anything else

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
They had the tank off to fix the rocker box. It has to be something in the ignition circuit. The coil bracket can be a PITA when putting the tank back on. Make sure the harness is fully plugged back into the coil and those wires aren't pinched anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts