V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me out here...

I took delivery of my 97 Ultra yesterday, and can't even begin to explain how much I love this ride (except for the seat, which will be corrected with a RG take-off next week). I was planning to keep my FXDWG for a bar hopper, but now I'm not so sure I need a second bike.

The only problem that I have found is that the rear speakers will not work with the radio, though they do work for the CB. I'm probably missing something simple here, but I'm stumped at this point. Any idea why they would work with the CB and not the radio? I know that on the newer models the "speaker" switch is three-position, but the 97 only has a two-position switch (speaker and helmet are the two choices).

Any help you folks could give me here would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try to get the audio system manual from HD, but that may take some time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
prostreetpower said:
I hope someone can help me out here...

I took delivery of my 97 Ultra yesterday, and can't even begin to explain how much I love this ride (except for the seat, which will be corrected with a RG take-off next week). I was planning to keep my FXDWG for a bar hopper, but now I'm not so sure I need a second bike.

The only problem that I have found is that the rear speakers will not work with the radio, though they do work for the CB. I'm probably missing something simple here, but I'm stumped at this point. Any idea why they would work with the CB and not the radio? I know that on the newer models the "speaker" switch is three-position, but the 97 only has a two-position switch (speaker and helmet are the two choices).

Any help you folks could give me here would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try to get the audio system manual from HD, but that may take some time.
I had the same problem with my 99 Ultra, found the "fader mode" was set to the full front position. On the 99 you push in on the volume +- to change the mode, "bass, trouble etc". Push until it is in the fader mode, then push the same switch left and right for front to rear adjustment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I appreciate the suggestion, but that didn't work. All it does when pushing the volume button is to change the display from clock to the radio station that is tuned in (recall function). This radio has bass and treble knobs on the deck, so this seems to be different than the 99. From all that I've seen the 96 and 97 models were the bastard childred when it comes to audio systems. I guess I'll have to wait and get the manual to figure out if there is a fade function on this unit.

Thanks for trying to help...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry my post didn't help, but I think somewhere there should be a fade control and that is where the problem is. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I have the our 97 Manual in front of me. Nothing in there about Fader. The little round silver knob controls the volume in the rear but I do not see why the speakers do not work for both the CB and the radio if they work for one. Sounds like you may have a problem with the rear out on the radio/cassete player. One day I am going to figure out how to upgrade to a post 2000 radio system, only thing about the 97 Ultra is the radio system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bussiemi said:
I have the our 97 Manual in front of me. Nothing in there about Fader. The little round silver knob controls the volume in the rear but I do not see why the speakers do not work for both the CB and the radio if they work for one. Sounds like you may have a problem with the rear out on the radio/cassete player. One day I am going to figure out how to upgrade to a post 2000 radio system, only thing about the 97 Ultra is the radio system.
Yeah, something is screwed up; the CB will only work on the rear speakers, which doesn't seem right either. I'll probably upgrade the system in the next few months, using a Biketronics setup with a Sony deck. Even the speakers are oddballs.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know what is, or isn't, in the book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts