V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why aftermarket motorcycle engines and trannys are so expensive? I have a hard time understanding why some aftermarket engines are so costly 4-6-7-8 K! Ya just wonder what makes such a little package so expensive. And transmissions you see ranging from 1500-2800 k. Is it because they are not produced on such a large scale? Or mainly it's just because the market is limited and they charge what they charge because they can?

For those that know I'm an ambulance mechanic full time. I buy reman Ford E40Ds and 4R100 trannys from Jasper for about 2100 bucks. The transmissions are 10 times the size, have 10 times the parts yet are just as expensive as a lil' motorcycle tranny from HD or Baker.

On the engine side, a reman Ford Powerstroke 7.3 running complete engine goes for around 6k. It's 4 or 5 times the size has many more expensive components than a S&S or HD engine, yet these bike engines cost just as much.

I just don't get it. Just like I don't get why alot of people in the industry call motorcycle engines "motors". A "motor" is something that draws energy, like a vacuum or washing machine. An "engine" is something that produces energy by the process of internal combustion through a fuel source.

Oh well, titt for tat I guess. Just thought I'd ask. It's raining, getting cold and can't ride today.:yawn:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well not sure that I am 100% on this but I would think some of the pricing is based on demand , volume, and where it was built I can get 6 Speed kits for 799 or 2199 all depends on where and who built it. Buying a 6 speed that was made over sea's is less than buying a jims or Baker trans. How many E4OD' trans that are out there?? No compare that too the amount of hd that want a new 6 speed trans or a complete new engine?? I could be way off on this.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Because its a "Recreational Activity" :whistle:

Just like owning a boat:sofa:

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HDWRENCH said:
Well not sure that I am 100% on this but I would think some of the pricing is based on demand , volume, and where it was built I can get 6 Speed kits for 799 or 2199 all depends on where and who built it. Buying a 6 speed that was made over sea's is less than buying a jims or Baker trans. How many E4OD' trans that are out there?? No compare that too the amount of hd that want a new 6 speed trans or a complete new engine?? I could be way off on this.
What 6 speed gearset can I get for under a grand that is dependable? I just put the 3.37 gearing in my 04' Ultra as well if that helps for a recommendation on gearset ratios.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
timbo said:
What 6 speed gearset can I get for under a grand that is dependable? I just put the 3.37 gearing in my 04' Ultra as well if that helps for a recommendation on gearset ratios.

Thanks.
On another note...how are you feeling ? Any improvement??

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SYCLONE said:
On another note...how are you feeling ? Any improvement??
I love it. First time I hit the interstate with the bike running about 75mph I snapped back the throttle and was up to 90 or 95 in a freakin flash but turning about 4 grand. Not that I'm gonna ride that fast all the time on the interstate. But I'd like to cruise when feasable around 80-85 on long trips and not have the engine workin so hard on a 4-5k trip. I don't remember what the RPM is, but there is a post here somewhere of what the RPM is when running the 3.37 gearing and the SE OD gearset cruising about 80mph. As I recall it's around 3100 or 3200. Maybe someone can clarify it for me. If I do go with a 6speed it will be the SE OD. The Baker is too much and it seems quite a few people are happy with the SE OD anyway.

I guess I need to weigh the expense though. I'll do at least one 5k trip this year if not two. And should I decide to, I know I can get the SE 6 speed OD for around 1600 at Zanottis. I've already spent too much on the damnn thing since I've had it. I should have never taught the wife about all the different parts of the bike and what they do. She notices everything new I put on it now, right down to a Hot Topper. I can guarantee she could pick out the 6 speed script on the trap door and probably pick out the rpm difference between mine and her Deluxe riding down the road. Boy, I'd be in some deep shitt if I tried to slip a 1600 dollar 6 speed in under the radar.

We'll see.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Also gotta take into account that HD owners are known to pay whatever it costs to get something they want. Most don't see anything wrong with buying a bike at MSRP, and even higher sometimes. Do you really think it cost $600-1400 to "setup" a bike? For example: MSRP on an '06 NT is around 15.5k, but dealer invoice is only 13k. So the dealer is making 2.5k right off the bat, not including tax/setup fees etc. There are alot of R.U.B.'s out there that will buy it at whatever price. I blaim them... :sofa: :flames:

Thats my zero cents (after taxes)

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i will not speak for anyone else, but our engines are expensive because of the components we use. our typical profit is around $2000 per engine. machinists, builders, parts man, media, bussiness manager, building mortgage, utilities, insurance, etc come out of this. 4 engines a week makes us break even. ours start at $7500 and go up dependant on what you want or how exotic your build.
you can easily spend $15000 on a knuckle!
as far as others, i will let them explain, with this final words.
you know the flywheel set you order that says balanced?
well, we actually dissasemble, clearance, and balance it!
now, who do you want doing this work, a professional, or an assembly line worker?

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
It's really a very limited, specialty market. As with all things, there is a lot of front-end development cost. If the munber of units is relatively small, the unit cost will remain relatively high since the builder is trying to make some profit out of the effort.

Put another way, it's strictly a case of supply and demand. You can almost get two American automobile crate engines for the price of one S&S or JIMS stroker.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Here's another example;

Model airplane 4 cycle multi-cylinder engines can be around $1200 or more, and I can hold it in my hand. A brand new Chev 350 is the same price. Supply and demand, volumn brings the price down.

Chris

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
newultraclassic said:
It's really a very limited, specialty market. As with all things, there is a lot of front-end development cost. If the munber of units is relatively small, the unit cost will remain relatively high since the builder is trying to make some profit out of the effort.

Put another way, it's strictly a case of supply and demand. You can almost get two American automobile crate engines for the price of one S&S or JIMS stroiker.
That's exactly right. HD can sell their crate engines for less because of the quantity produced and they have an unsurpassed R&D department that is integral to the company. All in house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts