V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all probably know by now Harley Davidson has cut back on shipments to dealers. Ok, that really shouldn't be a problem or is it?.

I am trying to purchase a new 08 Night rod with ABS. Apparently has to be ordered. So Fine, I can wait. But dealers are dealing, or should I say, if it's not on the floor right now, they're not interested.

I went to one dealer (hacienda), who refused to take a trade in even they they sell the bikes. Said they could trade for the bike wanted from another dealer but no one in AZ has one, or even has one on order. Only the DX.

Go to another dealer (buddy stubbs) who says that each Harley dealership is independent and they usually refuse to talk to each other. Then says that all their future Vrod shipments (that's all Vrod line) has been terminated by Harley. They don't even know if they can order, let alone receive anything in the Vrod line.

This is Arizona. Am I getting the run around or is something big going on?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I posted on this before and got flamed by the folks who feel that if you don't want a bike that over heats, shakes like it has the palsey, has numerous problems like broken starters, weak brakes, flexi frames, dragging primaries, transmission clatter, etc, etc, you aint a Harley guy so go to h*ll.

Well, it would appear that the public has spoken and according to the WS Journel the HD stock has been in steady decline and there is apparently quite a few class action lawsuits appearing for these same reasons.

I feel like as a customer who has bought several of their motorcycles I am just as entitled to my thoughts on the matter as others.

Those "***" bikes they are so fond of trashing are built right here in the US in US factories by US workers with parts sourced in the US and are free of those problems for thousands less out the door and have absorbed a tremendous amount of market share.

I understand that I can't walk into the Kawihondoyammy shop and by socks, glasses, underwear, scented candles, rings, cappucino and the like... but I can't ride those either. All I want is for the MoCo to quit BS'ing me and deliver a bike that is up the quality theirs is. All of the "***" big bikes put out over 90 rear wheel horse power bone stock...my HD..60 or so. Not a one of those companies sell kits to fix problems that don't exist, think IDS, and I feel a little let down everytime one of those bikes blows by me like I was sitting still and I have put an extra thousand in my bike just to get it to run decent.

Used to be in our area that when you went on a charity ride if you saw a bike that wasn't HD it was an oddity. Now days there is about 60% other bikes and 40% HD. Those numbers are eating the MoCo's lunch and it is really starting to show in the show rooms. Our local dealer is busting at the seems with 07 bikes and making used car lot deals to unload them. I rest my case.

So all the guys who hate my expectations can let me have it now. I am riding an 07 and have been riding HD for years. But I rode a friends 06 Kawi 2000 and I can tell you unless HD starts letting the engineers build the bikes instead of designers they and we are in trouble.

So heres a toast to nostalgia, heritage, rugged individualism and all that!!

Budman#[email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be ok if the foreign bike companies would stop thinking that all Americans are 6.2 with 33 inch seams. Harley was one of the few companies, (actually the only company) that how seats in the range of 24 - 26". There are a lot of bikes I would love to ride, but starting at 30+" seats makes them impossible to be comfortable on. Honda has discontinued their VLX line for 08 so there goes that low Japanese model of 25.6" seat.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Budman said:
I posted on this before and got flamed by the folks who feel that if you don't want a bike that over heats, shakes like it has the palsey, has numerous problems like broken starters, weak brakes, flexi frames, dragging primaries, transmission clatter, etc, etc, you aint a Harley guy so go to h*ll.

Well, it would appear that the public has spoken and according to the WS Journel the HD stock has been in steady decline and there is apparently quite a few class action lawsuits appearing for these same reasons.

I feel like as a customer who has bought several of their motorcycles I am just as entitled to my thoughts on the matter as others.

Those "***" bikes they are so fond of trashing are built right here in the US in US factories by US workers with parts sourced in the US and are free of those problems for thousands less out the door and have absorbed a tremendous amount of market share.

I understand that I can't walk into the Kawihondoyammy shop and by socks, glasses, underwear, scented candles, rings, cappucino and the like... but I can't ride those either. All I want is for the MoCo to quit BS'ing me and deliver a bike that is up the quality theirs is. All of the "***" big bikes put out over 90 rear wheel horse power bone stock...my HD..60 or so. Not a one of those companies sell kits to fix problems that don't exist, think IDS, and I feel a little let down everytime one of those bikes blows by me like I was sitting still and I have put an extra thousand in my bike just to get it to run decent.

Used to be in our area that when you went on a charity ride if you saw a bike that wasn't HD it was an oddity. Now days there is about 60% other bikes and 40% HD. Those numbers are eating the MoCo's lunch and it is really starting to show in the show rooms. Our local dealer is busting at the seems with 07 bikes and making used car lot deals to unload them. I rest my case.

So all the guys who hate my expectations can let me have it now. I am riding an 07 and have been riding HD for years. But I rode a friends 06 Kawi 2000 and I can tell you unless HD starts letting the engineers build the bikes instead of designers they and we are in trouble.

So heres a toast to nostalgia, heritage, rugged individualism and all that!!

Budman#[email protected]
No flame here - your thoughts and observations are well founded. I too believe HD is in for some hard times if they don't get their $hit together and at least build the bikes to run right in stock configuration. The decline in quality started in 2003 when they eliminated the Timken bearings, and it's been going down hill since then. There are a lot of die hard Harley fans out there and i'm one of them. But, i would not buy or own a 2007 model. The verdict is still out on the 2008 models.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Carrie, point taken. I expected dissenting opinions. I am however ridding an 07 FLHT, not a Kawi. I've had 2 Kawi KX 250's and they were awesome. I'm riding a KTM 300 XCW now and it is truly dirt bike nervana.

Night star, I am 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam so the bikes feel a bit cramped to me.

If I came across a little strong I regret if it offended others. I'm not trying to offend others or make enemies.

I still feel as long time rider, owner I am entitled to point out that they are not treating the people who keep them in business right.

Budman

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Budman said:
Carrie, point taken. I expected dissenting opinions. I am however ridding an 07 FLHT, not a Kawi. I've had 2 Kawi KX 250's and they were awesome. I'm riding a KTM 300 XCW now and it is truly dirt bike nervana.

Night star, I am 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam so the bikes feel a bit cramped to me.

If I came across a little strong I regret if it offended others. I'm not trying to offend others or make enemies.

I still feel as long time rider, owner I am entitled to point out that they are not treating the people who keep them in business right.

Budman
nothing wrong with expressing your opinion or offending others. i hate to sound like a broken record but we are adults and if someone cant take it they can change forums.

i think if you do enough playing on the net though...youll find other companies have their share of problems as well...including suits...lets not get going on that though.

i'm not certain how many times it has to be said...but with the incredible increases in production hd has made over the past few years it shouldnt come as a surprise that with our economic conditions and a certain amount of saturation from record sales figures that the moco would eventually have to scale back. the knee-jerk reaction of stockholders is expected and the whole thing can start all over again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm 5.7 and need a seat around under 28, best if its 25 - 26. Harley supplies this, most other bikes don't, so I look at Harleys. But I can't believe the take it or leave it attitude of the dealers here. You would think they are rollingin doe to turn cash customers away, and they do it all the time it seems.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How many mutual funds ride Harley's?

I am sick of hearing about Harley stockholders. Harley-Davidson Motor Company is doing what is necessary to protect the brand. If the stockholders don't like it, let them get out. How many companies can show the 20+ year record of Harley-Davidson for delivering not only excellent returns for their stockholders, but millions of miles of lifetime experience for their owners.

Regarding the metric bikes, if you feel better putting your investment there, go for it. That is what capitalism and competition is all about. For me, I wouldn't be caught dead on a *** bike. I'll take the Harley with 103 years of heritage and all of its flaws, real or perceived.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
It really is the start of a down turn in the economy and that is when people start cutting back on extras. A motorcycle is an extra for most people. There is also high competition among the industry, and HD dealers are feeling the pressure from all of it.
I just got back from the local dealer and for the first time I was treated like my business was appreciated, instead of expected. I also saw for the first time a selection of other used bikes on the floor for sale at this dealer. They had Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi, all late model (even '07's).

Can't find a Screamin' Eagle though!

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
What bothers me about this thread the most is this is Nightstars first post. A complaint about Harley. Complaints about harley are a dime and a dozen....If a dealer has dealt me wrong, I don't go back. And if a brand has done me wrong, I get another brand. Just simple. MoCo will feel the bite, but it just doesn't stop them from selling. My suggestion...try the Victory bike out. Almost the same as the Vrod.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
07roadking60 said:
I'll take the Harley with 103 years of heritage and all of its flaws, real or perceived.

@gree:

I've owned just about every brand that there is. I keep coming back to Harley. It's where I am now, and I think I'll stay, thanks very much.

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Carrie said:
You all need to quit your bitch'n and just do it. Why brag about your dislikes on a harley forum when you can brag about your Kawi on the Kawi forum?
I thought his post was very reasonable. The man stated he rides Harley's and has an 07. The fact of the matter is that most new Harley's are delivered on the dealer showrooms as a "work in progress". Many of the bikes simply don't run properly out of the crate - and that is an irrefutable fact. Need more proof? How many discussions on this forum are about putting new pipes on, a PC or SERT and a Dyno tune so the bike will run:

1. Better
2. Richer
3. Cooler

Additionally, on the later model bikes, there have been multiple claims of leaking rear gaskets, noisy trannys and a host of other problems pointed out on this and other HD forums.

Look, I love Harley's like everyone else, but you need to face the truth. If anything, it sounds to me like you are in denial.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
07roadking60 said:
I am sick of hearing about Harley stockholders. Harley-Davidson Motor Company is doing what is necessary to protect the brand. If the stockholders don't like it, let them get out. How many companies can show the 20+ year record of Harley-Davidson for delivering not only excellent returns for their stockholders, but millions of miles of lifetime experience for their owners.

Regarding the metric bikes, if you feel better putting your investment there, go for it. That is what capitalism and competition is all about. For me, I wouldn't be caught dead on a *** bike. I'll take the Harley with 103 years of heritage and all of its flaws, real or perceived.
Ah, lots of them. And don't forget - we buy, build and ride the bikes made by the company owned by the shareholders. Emphasis on "owned by the shareholders". If the stockholders get out, then credit ratings drop. When credit ratings drop, the cost of capital goes up. When the cost of capital goes up, there is less development funding and operations funding available for our bikes. Get it?

Find me a company that shareholders put up with being unhappy for a long time that is still in business and has not been hit by hard times as a result.

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Carrie said:
First post isn't reasonable. Denial? Highly doubt that. :)

I was referencing Budman's post, sorry about that. And I do think you are in denial. :wavey:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Budman, I don't want to come off here as thinking H.D. is the best made bike in the world but for you to say the others do not have this problem is wrong. Sons 07 Suzuki is on a recall rite now due to the throttle speed just going haywire. The recall says do not ride the bike but the moduals are not available to do the repairs. Two years ago my other sons high dollar Aprillia had the swingarm crack under warranty and 6 months later finally got a new one. Wife had a Honda shadow that the wire harness burnt up on. Honda goldwings for two years had frame weld problems. Its all makes and models not just Harley. If folks want a honda or yamaha so bad why buy one that looks like a Harley ? They are all two wheeled machines and machines break when you ride them hard so you have to spend a little time fixing them. I for one never minded sitting on a stool beside the lift with a cold beer wrenching on my rides. Its kind of like my quiet time. JMHO
BC

1 - 20 of 108 Posts