V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm leave a restaurant Friday night... get on the bike and it seems as if my security system won't disengage. The red key in the speedometer won't go away. I click, arm it, then double click, disarm it, and the key still stays on.

I need to get home, so I just start the bike, and luckily it goes. On the way home, I realize that the speedometer isn't lit up and my turn signals don't work... and my brake lights don't work either.

When I got home, I get out the owners manual. All it says is that if the key stays on, you have a trouble code. I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and pull the main fuse. I check for blown fuses, and check for trouble codes, and nothing gets displayed. I can't even go into diag mode.... and nothing turns that red key off.

The next day, I go to the dealership. Thankfully, the service guy is super cool and says he can get me in the mix. They get to the bike, they say it was a blown fuse (I thought I checked them all?) but it keeps on burning out. The service guy also says that there are no trouble codes.

So anyhow... I guess the constant red key on the speedo means I need a new security system? Seems strange that it would knock out my speedo light and brakes. Oh, and when I arm the security system, the turns signals do flash when I rock the bike.

Anyone know? Got any idea?

I've got a 2005 FLHRI, over 12,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update... 4 days at dealership:

So I decided to called today (for the first time) and asked about the bike. I figure four days is enough time to figure out what's wrong.

Dealer:
"We haven't isolated the short. We will call you when we find it."

Me:
"Has anyone mentioned changing the security system out for a new one?"

Dealer:
"No."

Me:
"OK"

Dealer:
"OK. Thanks. Bye."

·
Registered
792 Posts
czar said:
On the way home, I realize that the speedometer isn't lit up and my turn signals don't work... and my brake lights don't work either.

They get to the bike, they say it was a blown fuse (I thought I checked them all?) but it keeps on burning out. The service guy also says that there are no trouble codes.

I've got a 2005 FLHRI, over 12,000 miles.
And does your horn also not work? I had the same (or very similar) problem with my `05 FLTRI. Kept blowing one specific fuse (details at home but I'm at work). This did leave a trouble code - a very generic TSSM one (which was no surprise `cause I think it was the TSSM fuse that went).

Once I got sick of swapping the fuse I took it in and the local HD fairly quickly found a stretched wire (brand new bike!) from my turn signal switch down in my fairing that would occasionally short out. Problem has not happened since!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't try the horn... ?

The dealership said I had no trouble codes... which is really odd.

It bothers me that they can't figure out what's going on... or maybe they haven't started looking yet.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
I wonder if disconnecting the battery might have erased any trouble codes that had been stored??? That sucks...

H

·
0 Posts
Bad ground at the dash panel?

Seems to be fairly common on the Road Kings, especially if they've been wet, either due to heavy rain, or washing lately.

Harris

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem didn't go away after plugging the battery back up. Unfortunately. Problems were still there for the dealer to scratch their heads.

I'm going to look into the ground at the Dash Panel. I wish I took more time looking for wiring problems instead of assuming it was a security system failure. My own fault. I thought my warrantee ran out the next day (anniversary of purchase) and I wanted to get the security system replaced without me paying extra money. I thought the red key trouble code could only be security system related.

If i don't get a friendly call from the dealer by Friday, I'm going to go get her and look at the wiring myself.

·
Registered
792 Posts
fwiw the trouble code my Road Glide was throwing (as mentionedin the earlier post) was U1097 "Loss of Speedometer Serial data TSM/TSSM"

totally useless...perhaps your dealer meant that there are no "useful" trouble codes showing...or perhaps not.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...I got the bike back.

Dealer could not find what the problem was. Tested "everything" they said, and no cause or solution. However! In the testing process, I guess moving some wiring around solved the problem. I don't have any isses at all... right now.

Strange huh?

I was able to pull up DIAG (I couldn't before) and I did have a U1097 code. So... the plot thickens.

I just wish that the dealer used their own fuses instead of going through ALL my spares. Well, I wish they knew what the problem was too...

Anyhow, the dealer service manager was super cool. He said there have been other late model 2005's with the same problem. So he might hear something from HD for a solution.

Who knows? I'll post up if I learn anything new.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
ARRGH!!! That sucks!! I HATE when a problem that goes away by itself and you don't know what caused it. You just KNOW it's almost sure to rear its ugly head again at some point...

At least you're up and running - keep an eye on her and be sure to replenish your supply of spare fuses that the stealership so nicely used up for you...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Czar,
Did you do any work to your bike involving the hand grips lately.
It sounds like the same intermitent short I had shortly after I had the right side hand grip apart.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't done anything to the handlebar / grip since... well, it's been a while. At least 6 months.

It is a mystery.

...going to autozone after work to pick up a handful of fuses, just in case. I'm going on a roadtrip in two months. I'd hate to have this problem a 1000 miles away from home.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "accessories" fuse is blowing again.

I don't have any accessories, unless you count the turn signal / brake light box under the seat as one.

Tonight, I am striping the bike down. There is obviously a short somewhere.

It should be a warrantee issue, but I don't have any faith in the local dealership. The people that work there are real nice and friendly, but last time they had my bike for a week for the same problem and couldn't fix it. The dealership changed the fuse a half-dozen times, then one day the bike just happened to quit blowing the fuse, so they said it's "fixed for now."

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem...started yesterday. I was out riding when the speedo and tach went dead. Then noticed that my turns and brake light wasn't working. Get home and check the fuses and noticed the acc fuse is blown. I've gone through 3 fuses now and still haven't found the problem. It's got to be a short somewhere but finding it is the problem. Good luck with yours and let me know if you find it...although i doubt it'll turn out to be in the same location.

·
Registered
792 Posts
In retrospect mine gave me a vague clue as to where to look: I noticed that my blown fuse seemed to follow me fumbling for the left turn and/or horn button. So it seems that the exposed wire had to be in just the right position to short at the exact moment I hit the button...

..btw, I mentoined turn signal in my earlier post, but I'm thinking it was actually the horn wire that shorted...regardless, it was one of them wires coming thru the left side of the handlebar...8)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
End of the story:

So I couldn't find the short. Took the dash panel off, checked the wiring on the frame... possible the seat was pinching the wires, no... wasn't that... looked "everywhere" and then I gave up.

So I went back to the same dealership I went to the first time.

The service manager gets on the phone with the Harley Tech support, and they give him some suggestions as to where to look. They had my bike in the service bay for about 10 minutes when the service manager came up front and said "want to check something out?"

The wiring in the handbar switches (Just as some of you suggested, and I, like a [email protected], ignored) was pinched and exposed.

The dealer spliced it and had me on my way... AND the service manager even put the extra fuses back in the spare slots.

I wish the dealership could of done that the FIRST time I came in, but... what am I complaining about. I'm sure I caused the problem by switching out bars some 6-7 months ago, and the dealer fixed it for free. I tell you what, if anyone ever has a problem in Columbia, SC... Harley Haven is the place to be. All I know is that the service manager Jason is very professional and super cool.

·
Registered
792 Posts
czar said:
I'm sure I caused the problem by switching out bars some 6-7 months ago, and the dealer fixed it for free.
doh! really decent of him, considering the trouble shooting time spent!

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Same ole same ole

Just changed my grips and put on chrome switch housing....same problem...no speedo, blinkers, or brake light. :duh?:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Blown fuse

Alls well so far. Musta blown fuse screwing switches outta old housings and into new.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts