V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/3336.aspx

I've got to hand it to Triumph. Their latest designs and styling are pretty awesome. Do any of you own one of the new Bonneville series motorcycles? I'm just curious how they run and just feel.
Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
I nearly bought their cruiser ,(America?) several years ago. It was a nice ride but to "plasticky". I've got to hand it to Triumph though, through the years they always kept their own unique design and never went the way of copying Harley like every other yamahondazuki.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had an '04 Triumph Thruxton 900. I really wish I had it back! That bike was smooth, and after changing the mufflers, had that classic vertical twin sound. It was a blast running around on. I sold mine for a Triumph Speed Triple when I got the *fast* bug. The only drawback to the Thrux was the clip-on bars. My neck really started feeling it after a couple hours on the bike. For shorter rides, though, it was comfy and had major cool factor.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I see excellent quality in Triumph motorcycles now. The present management is very smart and have brought the company back from the grave, much as the Harley group did in the early eighties. I wish we had other American groups that were as bright. I'm referring to Indian and Excelsion Henderson.

That Scrambler brought back memories of my desert riding. I had an iron-barreled 650 Triumph that was a real goer in the desert.

I wish Triumph all the best. That's a great name in motorcycles.

BTW. there's another group attempting to bring back the Norton Twin. See the issue of Cycle World that is out now.

·
Registered
944 Posts
A friend purchased an American and I have ridden a Rocket III ( WAY TOO BIG)..
I noticed the bikes came a little plain and the chrome add ons were real spendy.. Triumph dealer told me the new marketing guy came from Harley... Ya think......

·
Registered
185 Posts
You haven't looked at the Speed Triple? Don't know if you like the styling, but it's a blast to ride and still an upright riding position (though more sporty than the Bonneville). A guy at work traded his Bonneville for a Speed Triple and he found the Triple way more fun. The Triple is atleast 2000$ more than the Bonneville though.

Regarding the Scrambler, sat on one a couple of months ago and didn't like how the pipes got in the way when you put down the right foot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my youngest son has a brandnew bonneville T100, and I like it too. Drove also the America, but I prefer the T100. It's a handy bike, great to ride. Of course it's a rather small one, you like it for the city or the mountain roads
On the long trips on big roads you surely don't feel at home, however.

(see the pics of the roads back home of me at
http://grafw.com/album/index.html

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
While riding last weekend, we rode past a Rocket III. Almost reminded me of a Victory, but it was much better looking. Had an awesome exhaust note!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 98 Thunderbird Sport (Yellowbird) with 50,000 klms. Other than regular maintenance had to replace a bulb in the tach. Very good quality, very fun ride. Bike still looks and rides like new. But doesn't fit my more rounded shape for long rides. Unfortunately it has to go as it will be nothing more than a dust collector with the Street Glide in the garage.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting and helpful comments. Looking at those high pipes on the Scrambler I can see where they could be a problem, especially for the passenger. I do like the looks, relatively light weight, and would have to think pretty good handling of the Bonneville. I've not heard of any quality issues either. The Thruxton has a little too extreme riding position for me, best suited for 80+ mph riding but uncomfortable at anything less. I guess it is still the British competitor to the Sportster and that ain't bad. Some coming from cruisers would have to get acustomed to the taller riding position which could put off many of the women riders too.
Rick

·
Registered
134 Posts
The new Cycle World says the new Scrambler is really gutless, especially for an engine of that displacement.
If they power it up where it would be expected, I'll think about buying one for running around.
I think the novelty factor is all thats selling this initial batch.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Ridewv said:
Their latest designs and styling are pretty awesome.
Didn't you have one of these the first time? The old (cirra 1969) 650 Lightning. I think it was BSA badged at the time, (Triumph and BSA were interchangable back then.) I was running a Thunderbolt when one of my roomies was running a Lightning. I never could the get trick of syncing up the twin carbs.

It was the same time as the BSA/Triumph Trident 3 cylinder job set the record as the fastest thing on the block.

And yes, he did burn the sh!t out of his leg a few times.

Everything old is new again, at least that's what I'm hoping. :beer4u:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Pac a Steel said:
Didn't you have one of these the first time? The old (cirra 1969) 650 Lightning. I think it was BSA badged at the time, (Triumph and BSA were interchangable back then.) I was running a Thunderbolt when one of my roomies was running a Lightning. I never could the get trick of syncing up the twin carbs.

It was the same time as the BSA/Triumph Trident 3 cylinder job set the record as the fastest thing on the block.

And yes, he did burn the sh!t out of his leg a few times.

Everything old is new again, at least that's what I'm hoping. :beer4u:

i have ridden a couple of the new speed triples, and love the engine. lots of torque down low, lots of HP up top. decent riding position, good suspension.

slightly more upright than my VTR1000.

-Dogtown

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
The scrambler riding is very good. Like a smaller machine.

I remember my OSSA Enduro....

·
Banned
31 Posts
"Triumph and BSA were interchangable back then."

Not when I had my BSA 650 Lightning. The BSA had a larger bore and shorter stroke than the 650 Triumph. The longer stroke on the Triumph would cause vibration that would rattle your teeth; the BSA had more of a high level buzz that would make your butt itch after a decent ride. I wish I still had it - a beautiful bike, but I like my present Lowrider.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
point98 said:
Not when I had my BSA 650 Lightning. The BSA had a larger bore and shorter stroke than the 650 Triumph. The longer stroke on the Triumph would cause vibration that would rattle your teeth; the BSA had more of a high level buzz that would make your butt itch after a decent ride. I wish I still had it - a beautiful bike, but I like my present Lowrider.

What year was that, Point? (Mine was a '69.) We swapped parts all of the time between them, (they kept falling off.) I had a Thunderbolt, Coleman had the Lightning, and Gaye had the Scrambler. All purchased for $1 / cc at the Canadian PX. Seems like the BSA had more than adequate vibration. Had half the bolts back out and the horn fall off on the way back to the barracks. :whistle:

You may well be right about the bore & stroke. Inspite of all of the rattles and troubles, we never had to tear into the engines touring most of Europe. But we shared a set of spares for fasteners, tools, electrical, tyres, chains, and other assorted things that tended to be left on the side of the road.

Gee it was fun being young and dumb as a box of rocks. ^rolleyez^

·
Registered
51 Posts
That Scrambler in my opinion is just about the best looking bike out there right now. I wish H-D would come out with a similar model Sportster, rather than keep coming out with all these goofy "low" models. All it would take would be different bars,seat,retro paint scheme, some lumpy tires, and most importantly the high pipes, BUT::you can't have a low seat height (which seems to be THE number 1 most important dimension/styling feature/selling point of every motorcycle today), with the high pipes. I am tired of choppers, psuedo-choppers, fat rear tires and this obsession with ultra low seat heights. My first ride, a 1971 70cc Honda with all of 4.9 horsepower, had a higher seat height than 90% of the bikes being sold today. I will likely wait to see what the '07 50th Anniversary Sportster models looks like, then decide if that is what I want?, OR get the Triumph Scrambler.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One of my co-workers just bought the Triumph Rocket III. Hasn't even got 100 miles on it yet. Great big nice looking bike. But it sounds like a dam Goldwing. He started it up right next to me after lunch today and i could barely hear it. So I cranked up my Heritage Softail Classic, looked at him and smiled.:harhar:

Rick

·
Registered
115 Posts
Saw some pictures of the Scrambler, very nice looking scoot. Very reminescent of my old '64 Honda Scrambler. I would guess the 680cc motor would be a bit faster than the 250 that was in the Honda. Everything I have read says the Triumph is kind of dog. Sorry to hear that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts