V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first bike was a 1970 triumph 650 Bonneville. At some point I Threw the battery away and started it and ran it off a "capacitor". That would be: capacitor +( [email protected]) + coil + plugs. Question - is this similar to how a Magneto functions? I own a 65 pan now. I got wiser in my old age. I still like the old Triumph's tho.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had a early 70's Bonneville, I loved that bike. I bobbed it out to look kinda like Hoopers chopper on easy rider (except it wasn't a harley of course).

I also remember the days of early transistions to newer ignition systems (and backyard chevy car racers). I also had a capacitor discharge box on my Triumph. The capacitor stores current and then releases it at a given time. It's not quite the same thing as a magneto.

The magneto is kinda like a "pulse generator" if you will. It can generate current just like a generator but only in periodic immediate spikes. It worked great for high performance race bikes and cars, but it doesn't provide any continuous current for the other electrical items needed on street vehicles.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
No. I had the capacitor set up in my 68 Triumph. If the capacitor goes bad the rotor in the alternator slowly de-magnetizes or magnetizes backwards), and the bike just dies. Took me forever to find it.
A magneto creates it's own current to fire the plugs/points.

·
Registered
205 Posts
MAgs are a complete ignition system.They have a coil,points,impulse that work in a seperate unit that is driven by part of the engine.Either off the crank,flywheel or a drive.
Once set up these are great for not running a battery.We run mags on oilfield motors.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
Always liked to looks of a mag hanging off a VTwin could never afford one and it was pretty hard to beat points ignition with a battery.Always put my hard earned money into things that made these VTwin sing! Used to run the Chev ventilated points in all my Harleys they lasted forever and had a superior rubbing block,requiring a lot less maintainance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Put a mag on my 69 Triumph. Liked it better than the battery elimanator system. Always felt that Lucas electronic Co. was the inventors of darkness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts