V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a new set of HD Billet Triple Trees that Io want to install on my bike. I'm one of those guys who would rather install it himself then pay someone to do it. How easy/hard is it to remove the stock triple trees and install the new ones? Do I need any special tools, or can I find alternatives? The service manaul isn't very informative on the subject. Any tips?

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Easy job

Just take your time. No special tools required. I did it on my '04 Softail Standard. If you need a set of instructions, get your Harley dealer to download you a set for the H-D billet triple tree.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The lower bearing may need to be pressed on, no?

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
202 Posts
No special tools are needed unless races need to be changed. Bottom bearing is a loose press fit and to install it I use a steel pipe cut nice and square and drive it on, after I pack it with grease. Handlebars can be left intact as far as the controls are concerned, just cover tank with a moving blanket and lay them on the tank after removing the clamp. Get a shop manual and make sure you follow steering adjustment procedure. Most of them call for a 1-2'' fall away from center. Its very simple just read thru it.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
202 Posts
Another option is to hang handle bars from the ceiling using tie downs or rope but cover the tank with a blanket anyway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts