V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Damn, you can't be too careful when going over used equipment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick question: To combat the dreaded "clunk" I tighten the steering nut to 100 lbs, but how tight do I tighten the pinch bolts on the lower triple clamp, once I'm done with the steering nut?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Jacked it up and found the clunk. I loosened the lower clamp bolts loosened the big nut. Adjusted the neck beard just a bit and rechecked fall away. Than re-torqued the up tree nut to 100 ft pounds and the lower pinch bolts to 35 ft pounds. Make sure to apply blue lock tight. Re checked and clunk is gone. Also serviced my folks too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER Re: Fork clunk

I bought an '02 Deuce yesterday. Today I was wondering how I was going to explain the CLUNK that I feel and hear. I'm so glad this has already been solved! I thought it was a problem with one or both forks. When I would brake hard enough to almost fully compress the forks... CLUNK! And it wasn't just a noise, I could feel the bars move. And sometimes I didn't notice when it would 'un-clunk,' but often there was a 'return clunk' when I would take off. I asked the PO about it, and he responded with, "Huh?" I tried to diagnose something to do with the triple tree by locking the front brake and then pushing and pulling the bike forward and back. That can work on a lighter bike, but I got nothing when I did it on this one.

Until I can get that super-special $8 - $10 washer (and the service manual and parts book), I'm sorely tempted to just go tighten the nut a bit -- see what it's torqued to now and add some, not to exceed 50 - 60 pound feet. Opinions?

What kind of bearings are in there? I'm used to ball bearings, but I'm thinking that more modern bikes probably have tapered roller bearings.

Greatly relieved,

Paul

·
Registered
224 Posts
Until I can get that super-special $8 - $10 washer (and the service manual and parts book), I'm sorely tempted to just go tighten the nut a bit -- see what it's torqued to now and add some, not to exceed 50 - 60 pound feet. Opinions?

What kind of bearings are in there? I'm used to ball bearings, but I'm thinking that more modern bikes probably have tapered roller bearings.

Greatly relieved,

Paul
They are roller bearings. I wouldn't overtorque until you get the washer. You'll probably just tear up the original washer and it isn't that big a deal in the short run after fifteen years.

I'm glad you resurrected this thread. I left the Harley dealership about twelve years ago and this is the first I'd heard of an upgrade. I know the clunk was frustrating for us back then, and I know that people were annoyed with "dealers who don't know anything" but the reality was that Harley tech support (which was generally very good and very responsive to our questions) told us that it was normal and that nothing could be done so to blame the dealers back then is a bit unfair. I do see that the part number is an -07 for the washer kit so this did not come out until 2007 and presumably the bulletin came out around that time as well. The problem dated back well into the 90s however as that's when I started wrenching but I left the dealership in 2004 so never saw this one.

That sort of brings up another issue which maybe needs more discussion, namely why Harley is so secretive about their service bulletins. They all contain good advice and need to be published, especially since many dealerships won't work on older bikes. If you are going to force owners to do their own work or go indy, it would make sense to give them the information.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts