V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have an 08 street bob. I am new to harleys but not bikes. Anyways there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the top of the triple tree and the neck. Is this normal. It seems to be handling ok however on these washboard roads I can feel a slight bang and it sounds like metal smacking metal. If there is someone out there with the same bike would do me a huge favour and just have a look at theirs. Right at the top where neck and triple tree meet. It would give me some piece of mind. I tend to ride this bike 100 mph and would hate to find out the hard way that there is a problem. And also,I had to replace the front wheel bearing on the stock 19" spoked wheel. The bike has 18000 kms. What gives. I hope this isn't the norm for harleys. I put 40000 kms on my 1100 v-star and the only work it needed was oil changes and tires. But the v-star didn't give me the feeling inside the Harley does. These bike have a soul,a personality. Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated and if I can give reps I will for each answer given. Thanks again. Keep er in the wind.

Everett

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey guys. I have an 08 street bob. I am new to harleys but not bikes. Anyways there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the top of the triple tree and the neck. Is this normal. It seems to be handling ok however on these washboard roads I can feel a slight bang and it sounds like metal smacking metal. If there is someone out there with the same bike would do me a huge favour and just have a look at theirs. Right at the top where neck and triple tree meet. It would give me some piece of mind. I tend to ride this bike 100 mph and would hate to find out the hard way that there is a problem. And also,I had to replace the front wheel bearing on the stock 19" spoked wheel. The bike has 18000 kms. What gives. I hope this isn't the norm for harleys. I put 40000 kms on my 1100 v-star and the only work it needed was oil changes and tires. But the v-star didn't give me the feeling inside the Harley does. These bike have a soul,a personality. Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated and if I can give reps I will for each answer given. Thanks again. Keep er in the wind.

Everett
If you have a lift, lift the bike slowly and watch and see if the gap your seeing changes when the front end starts to raise off the ground. (make sure you have the bike secured to the lift/Jack). If it does, have the neck bearing adjustment checked and adjusted. Ask the shop how they adjust the neck bearing, if they state they use the fallaway method, ask them how many have they done. Most shops that use the fallaway method end up adjusting them too-loose, and will end up clucking. I would tell you how to adjust it without using the fallaway method, but it takes experience to get it right.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have a 2000 softail springer and have 54,000 miles on the org wheel bearings, but I have been told that the newer bikes have had wheel bearing issues, it also sounds like your neck bearings may need adjustment

·
Registered
138 Posts
my friends 2010 roadglide had his front replaced at 25,000 under warranty rumor says the bearing on the abs was made smaller to accomodate the abs

·
Registered
138 Posts
just put a midglide on my 06 sporty, i adjusted the neck bearings with no slop rode it, too tight backed off twice after road tests feels good and works for me!!!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
there is a factory issue with certain dyna models, a clunk noise coming from
the neck/top tree area, more prevalent in the wg 08 and back but might apply
to your bike. harleys answer was a thicker steering head washer, part # 45740-
07. this combined with a higher torque on the stem nut, 80 ft lbs over factory
45/50 whatever.
gotta lift bike, loosen pinch bolts, do fallaway after adjust ect..

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my 05 dyna I had the clunk. The dealer told me he had never heard of it.All the other riders I spoke with had the same.The fix was to add one ounce of shock fluid to each tube. Problem solved!.

·
Registered
514 Posts
some who have had the clunk found the gas tank mounting bolt(s) loose

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can get a clunk noise if the steering head bearings are too loose. But if that is the case then you have a lot more handling problems besides the clunk. The bearings and fall away should be checked per the service manual interval. If you are not sure how to do this then ask on the forum or get and follow the service manual. The dealer can do this but mine didn't notice the slop in mine when I took it in for a wobble when I took my hands off the bars. Replaced the bearings, adjusted the fall away and now it is rock solid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts