V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
preparing to head out on June 22 for a trip to Sturgis and then west to Wyoming and south to New Mexico. hope to take photos along the way to share (i know will not be as good as Durango's but will try). have my food already packed in my sidebag amazing got 12 dried meals and 12 tuna packs in the Harley provided case for the side bag. set up my tent which is new (have never gone camping on my bike) and actually got it back in the travel case. it will fit on the rack above the tour pak. the sleeping bag will fit behind me which will be comfortable. Have a friend going also and he has camped out on a bike alot and has the stove and extra gas tanks covered for both of us. just trying to figure out how many clothes to take. right now planning on taking a couple pair of jeans, about 4 underwear, long sleeve shirt and sweat shirt for altitude, chaps and jacket. these should all fit in the tour pak. the other side bag will have tools, bike cover and towels. anything else i should take or consider? oh yes the bike is 2017 Ultra new tires and just had it serviced for 25K and installed heated grips. planning on taking 9 to 12 days.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
edit - when you get to the mountains... It's cold at altitude, hot down low. You'll see temperature swings you won't believe, t-shirt at the bottom of the hill, everything you own on by the time you reach the top.

Cotton sweatshirt will take a lot of room and doesn't keep you all that warm. Consider a long sleeve polyester pullover shirt, something like UnderArmor, instead. Also a long sleeve UV shirt for the heat. Sunblock, maybe a UV mask for your face. Your nose will appreciate it, the sun is brutal. Rain gear.

Can't help with camping tips. I'm too old for that.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I enjoy eating local, mom and pops places on the road. Then you won't need all that food, fuel, or a stove. You can't find them traveling interstates, so it puts you on better roads.

Microfiber clothes work for towels and wash cloths for you and wiping bugs and dew off of the bike. You can wash them out in a sink and they dry fast. You can use them for cleaning camera lens and eye glasses too.

Sunscreen is your friend. Long sleeve wicking shirts are better than short sleeves in the sun. In place of the stove, put a large, insulated cup with ice water and a couple of bandanas. You can rotate the bandanas at stops, so you keep a cold one around your neck when it is hot. If you have a cooler, skip the cup. If you are thin on top or have short hair, put something on your head.

Break your tent down during the day in Sturgis or make sure it is staked down really well. Storms come up while you are out riding and tear the heck out of tents. Don't leave loose stuff for the wind, rain, and/or hail to carry away or destroy.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
One word of advise, from a personal perspective..... don't waste a lot of time in Sturgis. The mountains of Wyoming and Colorado are way more worth your time.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
One word of advise, from a personal perspective..... don't waste a lot of time in Sturgis. The mountains of Wyoming and Colorado are way more worth your time.
Idaho and Montana too. As I crossed the state line going into Idaho on Hwy 12, there was a sign that said "WINDING ROAD NEXT 99 MILES". Eat your heart out Dragon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only reason going to Sturgis is to go to Sturgis. just stopping there then heading to Mt. Rushmore and beyond. most of our days will be spent west of there. thanks for the advice which is correct.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
To ride Needles Hwy, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, etc; go the week before or the first weekend. After that it is packed with a bunch of people that can't ride.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
When emptying your dry food into your cooking pot keep the opening down to the bottom of the pot then add water or half your ingredients may blow away in the wind. Don't ask how I know.duh.

tarheel

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks yeah only a week to go. have packed most of my clothes in a back pack which will fit in the tour pak and still leave room for leather jacket (for the moutains) and possibly chaps. have filled one side pak with food and one with bike cover and towels still have room left. have the sleeping bag in a garbage bag and it will be behind me on bike. tent will be strapped down on the tour pak lid rails and sleeping pad is between the seat rail and side bag rail snugged up. all that i have left is hmmm let me think.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Leave room for water bottles. If stuck on side of road you will need to stay hydrated. It will be hot so take salt tablets too. I once worked flag duty for the NJDOT road crew in my 20's. They told me to drink 1 gal of water on the way to work and it is not that hot in Jersey.

tarheel

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
...have filled one side pak with food ...
There are grocery stores and restaurants outside of Alabama

The first time I rode out west in '84, I carried a couple of MREs with me because I had heard and seen on tv how remote everything was. I wanted to be prepared in case of breakdown or whatever may happen. Never again, that space is better suited for other things. Most have been listed here. Water comes in handy every trip I make. It can be replenished along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
To ride Needles Hwy, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, etc; go the week before or the first weekend. After that it is packed with a bunch of people that can't ride.
This is the exact strategy we have taken several times. We cross over the first 1-2 days of rally and then split but most of our trip is the week before. WAY less crowds.

Enjoy your trip

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we have the extra fuel covered my travel mate has two containers mounted on his bike. his is a BMW with a 9 gal. tank so he has much more range than me. i have been thinking of water so thanks for the advice.
as far as out strategy goes going to get to Sturgis in two days from B'ham then take our time on exploring the west. he has it all mapped out. i will try and see if i can show it on here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. A buddy of mine and I have been moto-tenting for decades on all different bikes over the years from Japanese sports to euro metrics to MoCo stuff - always a great time, like we did it yesterday - stories and memories last forever. We are returning to Nova Scotia next month for another. IMHO, personal hygiene and comfort go a long way and make everything better…toothbrush, foot powder, sunscreen, ChapStic with sunscreen, pillow, one complete set of clean, dry clothes in a ZipLock storage bag in reserve. See more, ride fast :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
papa shaw

Lots of beautiful riding in New Mexico, I live in the Sandia Mountains east of Alb. been here since 85, many lite traveled mountain roads, lots of neat historical locations as well, Under Armour is your best bet and long sleeves will serve you well. Plenty of water. Have fun. Robert

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
made it back safe. will follow with a map of our travels and photos (left my phone at my sisters house so will get it and the photos tomorrow). total travel distance was 5110 miles in 10 days. now my verbage and photos will not be the quality of Durnago Dave (stayed one night in Durango) but will try my best.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts