V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 softail springer with 15000 miles on it. Have had it for 17 years. In perfect shape. I getting old and thinking about turning it into a trike. Any suggestions on a kit and how a springer would look like and handle as a trike.

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
How long have you been riding 2 wheels? I have a trike it sucks on the curves. Riding the BRP is a workout. That said trikes are popular on beer runs and straight roads.

Sent from a man who went to a trike to a Jeep

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long have you been riding 2 wheels? I have a trike it sucks on the curves. Riding the BRP is a workout. That said trikes are popular on beer runs and straight roads.

Sent from a man who went to a trike to a Jeep
Thanks captain for reply. Have had a bike since i was 15. Now i am close to 75. Hate to quit riding. Do alright when on the road but at stops i get very cautious Bike getting heavy. Thought maybe a trike would help me out.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I know this is kind of vearing off subject.
Do you have any health issues or are we just talking about age?
If it is mostly just age a little bit of weight training can work wonders. You don't have to go heavy to improve your core strength.
This could give you years more confident 2 wheel riding.
Core and leg workouts just a couple of times a week can make a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
Before I made my springer into a trike I would give it to a deserving relative or friend. This way you could keep tabs on it and ride it once in awhile. Selling it down here near Myrtle Beach is an easy 10k. Goldwing trikes with matching trailer goes for 10k here. A Harley trikes belt needs to be adjusted every 1,000 miles a GW has the driveshaft oil changed every 80,000 miles. Something to think about. I gave my trike to my son buying a Suzuki 800 for lighter weight, but still fun. No one here shot me the bird I just don't mention it too much.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is this system still available? A good friend had this installed on his UltraClassic after a severe injury caused by falling out of a tree.

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
Is this system still available? A good friend had this installed on his UltraClassic after a severe injury caused by falling out of a tree.
Well you haven't lived until you have fallen out your lifted jeep trying to shut the door on a windy day bending your glasses and head. Who knew that I should wear a helmet while driving a Jeep.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
i would def not convert it.

i would go with a *** Bike to be lighter.

and go all day test drive a newer HD trike, an Ultra, so you get wind protection & other things that making riding easier when you are older/go long distances.

used HD trikes have almost no value, so find one on CL of FB marketplace to buy.

i would go ride a newer trike though, we have one, an I like it, but i don't love it.
and the newer trike with Reverse, wind screen, cruise, navi, heated grips is basically a car, and could give you another ten years of riding. we can get $200 groceries in our Trike (use a sissy bar bag on passenger seat if need more)

your converted springer could you another two years, tops?

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
Trikes are for hauling fat assed wives down the road. Y'all know if she is heavy when you stop the bike and almost lay it down from the cramps in both legs holding the heavy hippo up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts