V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this will be my first trip to the Harley Museum, riding my Street Glide from Nahville.
Would like to see some country... What are the best Scenic roads from Indi to Chicago and than Chicago to Milwaukee??
Thanks for input.
Leaving this Friday!!

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
I live between Indy and Chicago and, there ain't much for scenery between the two points. I travel between Lafayette, where I live, to Indy all the time and I usually take US 52 which you could pick up just north of Indy off of I65.

Now, if you jump of US 52 it's a nice 4 lane from Lebanon, IN to Lafayette, IN and then a nightmare of stop lights in Lafayette for about six miles. If you stay on it, NW of Lafayette in merges onto US 41.

US41 will run you all the way to Stoney Island in Chicago. It's a bear for traffic once you get up around Merrilville. Check it out on the map. I've traveled on 41 all the way to Milwaukee but it's heavily traveled through Lafayette, IN , Merrilville, IN and Chicago.

Also, I wouldn't personally ride through Stoney Island (Chicago) at night. 41 is cool in Chicago because it goes right along Lake Michigan. If you have a high tolerance for traffic, it's beautiful.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I live between Indy and Chicago and, there ain't much for scenery between the two points. I travel between Lafayette, where I live, to Indy all the time and I usually take US 52 which you could pick up just north of Indy off of I65.

Now, if you jump of US 52 it's a nice 4 lane from Lebanon, IN to Lafayette, IN and then a nightmare of stop lights in Lafayette for about six miles. If you stay on it, NW of Lafayette in merges onto US 41.

US41 will run you all the way to Stoney Island in Chicago. It's a bear for traffic once you get up around Merrilville. Check it out on the map. I've traveled on 41 all the way to Milwaukee but it's heavily traveled through Lafayette, IN , Merrilville, IN and Chicago.

Also, I wouldn't personally ride through Stoney Island (Chicago) at night. 41 is cool in Chicago because it goes right along Lake Michigan. If you have a high tolerance for traffic, it's beautiful.
I would likely ride west of Indy towards Turkey Run State Park , catch 41 North. but like above its pretty flat and not much between Turkey Run and Chi-Town, I like riding 41 up along the lake, but it is busy nowadays.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I've been to the museum several times. You'll LOVE IT!

Once you get near the Kentucky/Indiana state line, take Interstate I-64 west over to state road 135 North. Stay on it. This will take you all the way to the south side of Indianapolis. When you get near Indy, I would jump back over to state road 37 North/I-465 west/I-65 north, and stay on it until you get to I-94 west.

I-94 west will take you all the way into Milwaukee.

By all means, please double check my directions by looking at a physical map. I'm going by memory.

P.S. once you get onto I-94 west, avoid downtown Chicago like the plague during rush hour and stay in the far left lane as much as possible.

Good luck and God Bless :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've traveled most of the routes between Nashville and Chicago (I live in Terre Haute, IN) and I personally like US 231 from Lebanon,TN. Takes you through some windey roads and hills of KY into IN. 231 will take you all the way to Lafayette, IN. North of there I would pick up Interstate 65 to Chicago take Int. 80/94 west to US 41 North in Hammond, IN which turns into Lakeshore Drive. US 41 will get you through Chicago (very nice ride at certain times of the day) to the North Shore area. After that I don't know. Be VERY careful in Chi-town. Crazy drivers and all. Good luck and keep the shiny side up, rubber side down.:boobies:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nazzdak is onto it when it comes to Indiana. 135 north is a great for a first time ride to experience southern Indiana. Once north of Indy, everything is flat and straight. 52 is better than I-65 up going north. Some new wind mill farms up towards Lafayette that are interesting if you've never seen one. 41 along the lake in Chicago is good for scenery as well. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
793 Posts
135 to 46 west to 231. 135 is nice up to nashville, but not the greatest north of there, not bad mind you, but 46 west is much nicer, and you can get 231 downthere and enjoy a nice ride north(agreed on the 231 route).

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've made this run a few times. I got across IL and 39 up to Beliot, taking I43 into Milwaukee. Time was it is not much different then going through Chicago. Chicago can really vary on times, based on traffic. Going through Beliot is consistent.

Scenary isn't great. There is a descent stretch in IN, west side, along the river kinda, they call Turkey trot or something. Last I did that then cut over to Danville, IL. Lots of was across IL. I have also done 55 and 57.

I live in NW IN, and have had lots of crappy rides through Chicago. Last few years I have gone through Rockford and Beliot.

Milwaukee is an any city navigate, except 43 and 94 come together and split, this can be confusing. But north south the streets are #s, lower numbers east towards the lake.

North side is black. South is Mexican. I would avoid north side. East is university and odd hippie types but it then merges with north side. Milwaukee has been called on of the most segrated cities in America. The bad and good areas have splits.

Crime is commuting now though.

Personally, I like the north of Milwaukee Ozaukee county. In Grafton they built a motel at right at the exit of hwy 60 and I 43 with the Water Street brewery next door. Its about 25 minutes, but thats normal commute.

There is not of ton of motels in Milwaukee itself, plus I personnally wouldn't stay there, but thats me.

For entertainment, you got Water st, bunch of bars, Mexican food along National, Brady street bars and restraunts. Some crime at night.

·
Registered
762 Posts
With the exception of Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, there are no scenic roads between Chicago and Milawukee. Best thing is to stick to the interstates and get there fast. Avoid rush hour in Chicago or you'll regret it.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Ya but he probably doesn't want to go touring Gary.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I most have repressed it from my memory.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts