V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are requirments in terms of title, registration and insurance to enter Mexico? Do you have to have orginial doc for registration or will a photocopy work. I have Progressive insurance, will that be honored in Mexico.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Some information

This site is mostly for Baja, but there are links to information for other parts of Mexico.
http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/vehicle.asp
You do need additional insurance. You can purcahse insurance online and then print your own document that has all of the information (this is valid and is acceptable). You can buy by the day or for longer periods of time.
I used the original registration (the one you carry on the bike) and I also brought a couple extra copies. I did not bring a title and did not need one for any of the travel documents or visas.
You might also check http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/ there is information on international travel here also.
Good luck,
bb

G

·
This thread will likely answer all your questions (and then some):

http://v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39218

Short answer: Your registration & your driver's license. If you're not the registered owner, you'll need a letter from the owner granting permission to take the vehicle into Mexico.

US Insurance is NOT valid in Mexico. Not liability, not comprehensive, not collision. The best deal I found for full coverage Mexican Insurance is through Rocky Point (Website on the thread above).

Make sure to surrender you vehicle permit when you leave Mexico, unless you are certain you will be returning within 6 months. If you don't you it's a major hassle when you try to enter in the future, especially if you are going back in a different vehicle. Also, You buy your vehicle permit at the border, but don't need it until you get to the edge of the frontier, which is generally 13 to 17 miles in from the border as the crow flies, but may be 50 miles on the road. If you don't have it, the only way to get it is to return to the border.

Harris

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Insurance

I agree I would not travel without insurance but I paid less than $50 for two weeks of coverage, the underwriters were GE Seguros. You can find and purchase a policy with them as the carriers from more than one website. You can also get it at the border but I did not want to spend more time than necessary so I bought it in advance.
bb

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got a copy of the new Rand McNally-Harley Davidson Travel guide and Atlas. Real nice. They have a section in there about travel to Mexico and state that you need to post a bond at your entry point into Mexico and if you want to get it back you have to exit at the same point. Anyone every here anything like this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
vehicle permit

See the post above by Harris and the link provided. In the first few paragraphs of the section THE TRIP vehicle permits are mentioned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts