V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have been building a (my version) bobber sporty with tall apes and I finally got to take it out for a ride and found the trans shifted up and down well while cold but after 10-20 miles the trans started to not like to down shift (only when hot) I have to really slam the shift down with my foot(up shift is fine). The clutch feels good and catches a little further out than 1/2 way.

It's a 2004 XL1200C with 50K miles on it and here is the bad thing, this bike was bought on auction from the bank that had the title and they repo'd the bike from the police because it was a drug seizure and the bike was a complete basket case. I tell you this because I don't have the luxury of asking anybody what happened to it or how was it treated or did this do this before. I have the Harley manual but the diagnosis area is limited on the transmission side. Does anybody have any ideas where I should start looking?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have nice fresh oil in there?
I have not changed the engine oil yet and while in the process of changing the primary cover gasket I found a crack in the cover so I'm waiting for a new cover now. Which oil is the one for the tranny is it the engine oil, the primary or does it have it's own oil?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just found it in my manual that the primary oil is for the trans. When I drained the oil it had an oder of gear oil but I bought the Formula + from Harley because they said that was what was required. Once the new cover comes in I'll put it back together and road test it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts