V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going through the service manual looking at the job to swap a trans case. I'm not sure I get the whole process. It seems to me the process shouldn't be so complicated. Will the trans come out assembled? I'm thinking, remove primary, swingarm, starter, engine bolts and pull it out the left side. Why does the manual say to remove the main and counter shafts?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Take a good look at your bike and think about how that case is going to come out with the engine still in place. The answer to your question should reveal itself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the case has to come out empty and from the bottom? Would it be easier to remove the engine first?

·
Registered
85 Posts
EVO_FXR........
You're getting good information here.......but if you decide to do it your way, please take (and post) photos as you go along.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I just support the engine (usually with a pantograph jack but if the bike is on a lift it can be left dangling by the front mount and top link and wiggled easily with a small pry bar if needed), and pull the primary and transmission. Not sure why anyone finds it difficult. and I certainly do not pull the guts out of the gearbox or snatch the engine because the shafts don't get in the way of anything.
Pull starter, primary, swingarm, remove two bolts holding gearbox to engine mount, done. The case can't come out from the bottom because of the crossmembers but they do come out the left side. I installed the deeper (because it's got an oil pan) later bagger box the same way (after removing the crossmembers of course) and that was painless too.
How does anyone manage to make it difficult?? I've done it with tapered and splined gearboxes without a second thought and if it was difficult I'd find a way that wasn't because I'm lazy.
One other way I just did for grins (because it looked interesting in a Featherbed-framed Sportster build) was to stuff the engine on the floor then lift the frame with cargo straps as slings (I have a bad back so no lifting engines for me at all) to midair and finish the trans and swingarm install with nothing below the motorcycle except a pantograph jack to manipulate the gearbox. It worked great and I recommend it to all cripples like myself. I don't find the engine an obstacle at all either way but one cool thing about slinging the frame is you cannot possibly tip the machine over and the other is it's easy to roll the engine into the frame on the floor (pad frame rail to protect the paint) without lifting it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got the inner primary off. It looks to me like it'll come out with the engine in the frame. I'm going to take a better look in the morning.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the transmission out. I did not disassemble it or remove the engine. it came out very easily. The only part that looked like it would be tough was the back portion, but that slid right out where the isolators used to be. Hopefully it goes back in just as easy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve got another on the way. I will probably have mine repaired later on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad to hear all went well with the removal.
I had one (years ago at the Dealership) that the "pivot-shaft" was corroded in and would not move.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve had one like that, too. It got stuck in the sta-bo bushing sleeves. It came out easy this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts