V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I use 75w 90 syn gear oil in the trans,,, Harley recommends 20w 50 syn in the primary,,, formula+,, even auto trans fluid works in the primary..

·
Registered
929 Posts
I just bought the above from Wolverine HD today. Their recommendation. I decided to go with a black primary cover this year. The 80w-140 syn, of course it takes 38oz so 2qts needed for the change.
I believe you are incorrect.. It is less than a quart for primary oil change and refill
My 06 softail service manual states appx 26 oz....

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Is it possible some bikes need more then others?

·
Registered
559 Posts
That Harley gear oil was tempting until they said $20 a quart. then immediately lost interest. There are other great synthetics for about half that price.

·
Registered
929 Posts
That Harley gear oil was tempting until they said $20 a quart. then immediately lost interest. There are other great synthetics for about half that price.
LOL, what do you expect at the Harley Stealership..... I had been trying to get a hold of the local Amsoil guy with no success, so it wasn't much more and I was tired of fkn around......

·
Super Moderator
19,932 Posts
I just did a 1000 mile service on my 19 and I used Valvoline Synthetic 75-140 gear oil in the trans. $9.95qt. And I put Redline Primary Case oil in the primary, bout $18qt IIRC.

I was using Formula+ in the primary and trans on my 18, just in case of transfer, but this scooter has the vent in the primary. And I had a bunch of Redline on the shelf.

Redline in the primary has improved the clutch. Less pissy cold, less clunk from neutral to first. And easier to find neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 04 Road King and use Syn3 in Engine, Transmission, and Primary, change them every season, just changed them all today, my manual said my Primary takes 32 ounces.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the trans and primary my scooter tech i used to go to before he retired said Mobil 1 20-50 was fine. I wonder why HD came out with the heavier 80-140 oil .... just wondering ?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I found on a few sites they say they tested gear oil and regular 20-40 motor oil and found no difference in gear wear between the two. Used to run same shell rotella in all three holes. Now that I put the big bore motor on I'm running open belt and switched to synthetic gear oil in trans. Not sure if makes a difference but with the higher torque and abusive riding i figure it can't hurt having a little more protection on the gear box. But I also read the stress put on a harley gearbox isn't high enough to actually need it... I'm not an engineer so take it it with a grain a salt..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts