V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone here. Weird thing happened yesterday while riding the bike. First off, 2007 street glide , stock besides cams pipes race tuner. Was taking off, not too fast or anything went through first,second, then third gear about 3200 bike kinda bucked, like as if I hit an oil slick and tire grabbed then slipped then grabbed again. Dont know what this could be, kinda upset only have 23500 miles. doesnt happen in first or second, I tried with shifting at 3800 and nothing until I hit third. could my 3rd gear be chipped or clutch issues??? Dont know if anybody has any answers on here? I just know its going to cost $ which is really tight. Bummed :confused:

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bucking

Also forgot to mention. the bike will ride fine if its babied. But any quick acceleration in 3rd it feels like going in then out of gear for a second. ???? might go pull out trans. But never did before..Hard to find trustworthy mechanic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark but check your drive belt and see if any of the cogs are missing and check your sprokets for damage, bent or broken off cog, that would make it do that except for the third gear thing and that might just be because thats where the real torque is causing the belt to slip in third. It's a slim possibility thats it, but on a long shot it could be, worth checking before pulling the tranny.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trans

Yep checked rear pulley all good. drained trans fluid, kind of alot of metal shavings like glitter... ?? Dont know on this one. Gonna have to try to find reliable mechanic around here.. Really bummed

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Don't fret, it is most likely in need of a clutch. Easy to do yourself and not too expensive. The outer primary gasket can be re-used if you remove the outer primary carefully. If you do replace the clutch friction discs replace the spring with a heavier one like a barnett. Check the steels also as per your service manual.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you checked your primary chain tension yet. Slop in your primary chain could cause what you are experiencing (although I'm not sure it would only cause third gear to slip). I have an '06 Softail that has done the same thing, just not very often; my transmission checked out fine. I'll be checking my primary chain this weekend.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I am thinking the clutch is out of adjustment

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I am thinking the clutch is out of adjustment
Would that cause slippage in a single gear like the OP is experiencing? I'm not experiencing any creep or drag and I haven't noticed any foul play at the lever. No problems finding neutral - just a little slip in third.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here, but if the shift collar dogs(for 3rd gear) were worn or maybe broken off it possibly could cause a skip. And possibly 3rd gear itself where the dogs engage could be worn, also the 3rd and 4th shifter itself could be worn and it isn't holding the gear.......just a thought.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here, but if the shift collar dogs(for 3rd gear) were worn or maybe broken off it possibly could cause a skip. And possibly 3rd gear itself where the dogs engage could be worn, also the 3rd and 4th shifter itself could be worn and it isn't holding the gear.......just a thought.
I would expect that to make a hell of a racket...

streetgliderr:

Always check the simple, and cheap stuff first...

Try adjusting the clutch...both at the cable and the clutch itself.

Also check the shifter linkage, make sure the lever on the shaft that comes out of the transmission is not loose.

If the problem is not in the linkage or clutch adjustment, disassemble the clutch and inspect.

It is way too early to blame the transmission...

·
Registered
3 Posts
found this thread by searching "third gear problem" , My '06' deluxe sometimes makes an ugly sound if I short shift into 3rd. I checked the primary chain and it seems ok.

It's a crunchy grinding sound, just for a second, and it's not consistent. I hope the tranny isn't going away.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Lol that's funny my bike is doing the same thing on my 2017 Road Glide Special
I don't thinks it's funny. Problems suck.

I am sure this thread would be a lot more helpful to you if the original poster had said what caused his problem
SEVEN YEARS AGO.

Reactions: Uncle Salty

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
All good advice given first make sure your drive belt has no missing teeth and has proper tension. Second primary chain. Third check clutch adjustment. Fourth R&R clutch pack. Fifth would be third gear dogs or gear teeth. If it is the transmission still not a horrible job to replace or upgrade gearset you can do this without removing trans

·
Registered
3 Posts
bucking

Also forgot to mention. the bike will ride fine if its babied. But any quick acceleration in 3rd it feels like going in then out of gear for a second. ???? might go pull

I am sure this thread would be a lot more helpful to you if the original poster had said what caused his problem
SEVEN YEARS AGO.

SEVEN YEARS AGO.
I feel you but the reason it's funny to me is because I tooken my cylinders apart because I thought it was my big bore kit I put on it b4 I went to Vegas so I swapped my 124 S&S & put my stocc 107 bacc on thinking that was the problem because it didn't start buccing till I got to Vegas after the big bore kit was installed but it wasn't that because the 107 is bacc on & still doing the same thing so I moved on to the clutches that I been replaced with screaming eagle so I inspected them nothing's wrong just to be on the safe side I put my stocc clutches bacc on as well same thing so I pulled out the transmission & you would never guess what I seen

SEVEN YEARS AGO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts