V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use a sounding board before I tear into this. Have a bike I threw together using a 1989 tapered shaft trans and BDL open belt primary and chain drive conversion. I didn't go through the trans before installing it b/c it felt fine on the bench. In the bike it feels fine with the rear wheel raised up and shifts fine with me manually turning the wheel. Problem starts as soon as I have the motor running....shift into first is a super hard shift. Shifting into other gears after that is nearly impossible like it's locked in gear. Occasionally, if I get the rpms just right and hook the shifter behind my heel giving it a good yank, it will upshift. But I have to put serious violent effort into it.

Clutch has been adjusted about 20 times using a variety of methods. I can visually see that the pressure plate is releasing adequately. Shifter pawl adjustment has been adjusted and readjusted several times. Checking external clearances for external binding has been checked several times. Trans oil has been drained a few times looking for metal or signs of internal failure, but nothing but clean oil comes out.

I'm planning on pulling the trans and cracking it open for a look, but before I go down that road, is there anything I'm missing or haven't checked while it's still in the bike?

Any help would be appreciated. Thx

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
If the belt is too tight or not aligned it can pull the clutch hub and make the plates hang up in the hub.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Thought about this also. It's a brand new BDL set up, complete clutch and all. Clutch disks seem to move freely in and out of the basket during the several times I have removed and installed them investigating the issue. I dont see any obvious hang up marks. Any ideas of how I might check beyond general smooth assembly and looking for scars on the parts? At one point I even tried removing a disk from the clutch pack. But I couldn't adjust enough to get the pressure plate to grab with a disk removed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the belt is too tight or not aligned it can pull the clutch hub and make the plates hang up in the hub.
Maybe. This could be the issue. Belt is pretty tight and snug....wonder how I'd fix it. The whole BDL assembly came as a matched set with the belt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe loosen the motor up front the mounts and inner primary and see if the belt pulls it back a bit and to tighten?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Seem to recall this "issue" in the past...…...and a fix of either a slightly larger-belt.....or a slight "egg-shaping" out the mounting-holes in the inner-primary where the transmission mounts against it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks. Thought about this also. It's a brand new BDL set up, complete clutch and all. Clutch disks seem to move freely in and out of the basket during the several times I have removed and installed them investigating the issue. I dont see any obvious hang up marks. Any ideas of how I might check beyond general smooth assembly and looking for scars on the parts? At one point I even tried removing a disk from the clutch pack. But I couldn't adjust enough to get the pressure plate to grab with a disk removed.
Are you using all the same plates in the clutch that you used in the stock oil bath clutch?
I kno you said the belt drive was brand new! What about the clutch disc set-up?
I’m figuring that when you say you are spinning it with the back tire it works fine? Do you have th belt pulled off completely. Also. What weight oil ar you running in you trans? Is it suppose use the same as when you use a oil bath clutch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts