V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW TO THE BOARD AND A RECENT HARLEY PURCHASE. I NOW OWN A 99 SPORTY 1200-XL.
WHILE CHANGING THE OIL I MISTAKEDLY DRAINED THE TRANS CASE. NOT A BIG DEAL BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE IT TOO. BUT NOW ITS DRAINED AND THE DEALERS ARE CLOSED FOR THE WEEK AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO REFILL IT WITH OR WHERE THE FILLER IS. CAN ANYBODY HELP. AND I KNOW, IF I DONT KNOW I SHOULDNT BE DOING IT. BUT IF YOU DONT ASK AND OR DO IT YOURSELF YOU HAVE TO RELY ON OTHERS. AND THATS NEVER BEEN MY WAY. I WOULD GLADLY TAKE ANY ADVICE ON THIS TRANS FLUID AND FILL MATTER.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
GS0248 said:
NEW TO THE BOARD AND A RECENT HARLEY PURCHASE. I NOW OWN A 99 SPORTY 1200-XL.
WHILE CHANGING THE OIL I MISTAKEDLY DRAINED THE TRANS CASE. NOT A BIG DEAL BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE IT TOO. BUT NOW ITS DRAINED AND THE DEALERS ARE CLOSED FOR THE WEEK AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO REFILL IT WITH OR WHERE THE FILLER IS. CAN ANYBODY HELP. AND I KNOW, IF I DONT KNOW I SHOULDNT BE DOING IT. BUT IF YOU DONT ASK AND OR DO IT YOURSELF YOU HAVE TO RELY ON OTHERS. AND THATS NEVER BEEN MY WAY. I WOULD GLADLY TAKE ANY ADVICE ON THIS TRANS FLUID AND FILL MATTER.
Welcome to the forum GS0248. If you look on the right side of the bike on the side cover on the transmission you will see a round plug with an allen-head socket facing forward towards the front of bike . This is where you add the trans fluid. I replaced my allen screw plug with a screw on knob for convenience. As for as the fluid you can use any 75/90 gear oil. I use a synthetic 75/90 but the choice is yours and will be available at any auto parts store.

Later,

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Be careful and ask someone that knows sporties. The gearbox and primary share the oil or something like that, and the wrong stuff in there might give you some grief, perhaps with the clutch slipping.

Check with THEM

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Thanks Hippo, I don't know why but i didn't even notice that he was talking about a sporty. I'm not even sure where the trans fill is on them. I guess i'll pay more attention from now on.

Later

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No problem, don't know a thing about them myself. Other then machine work only work on one of them because I like the lady that rides it, but have to grab the book every time. (for the sporty) :D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Of course I told her the only way to go is to keep it totally stock.

Down, down, bad Hippo.

Blahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sporty trans/primary

GSO,
I've got a '93 Sportster. The trans/primary filler is on the left,(shifter) side. Look on the primary and you'll see a little round disk, bout 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Take it off, have someone sit on your bike to hold it straight up, an pour in one quart of Sportster Trans/Primary fluid. If you saved your fluid and it's not in a dirty container or mixed with your oil, just pour it back in. If not, go to AutoZone and get a quart of Mobil 1, V-Twin motorcycle oil. Mobile 1 is damn proud of that V-Twin oil, 7.99 a quart here in GA. I've checked with Mobil and they say Sportsters are different from other HD's and recommend using the same oil in the trans/primary as the oil tank. I'm already runnin Mobil 1 V-Twin oil in my oil tank and plan to use it in my trans/primary at my next change.

If you have any othe questions, email me at [email protected] (put in your heading you're GSO, or I may delete it without reading)

Malfunction

1 - 7 of 7 Posts