V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other topic regarding purchasing from dealers that are away (miles) from me, got me thinking.... If I was to buy from a dealer a hundred or more miles from home, I'm not sure I'd want to ride the bike home, this being my first bike. :eek:

I have a non-enclosed all aluminum car hauler. Is it possible to safely carry a H-D on this? How do you normally tie it down? I've done this with dirt bikes before but I'm assuming this would be a different animal.

Thanks again for the help! :)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Bigtoe said:
"......Is it possible to safely carry a H-D on this?......"
Thanks again for the help! :)

OH GOD NO! THAT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AS IT COULD PERMENENTLY DAMAGE YOUR reputation.

Bla HAhahahhahahSorrySlowDayAtWorkJustKidding HA !

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Trailering Tips

You will want to ensure that you center the bike on the trailer:

1) Use Softy loops. Attach one to each side of the handlebar, and run your ratchet style tie down straps through the softy and tighten down.

2) Attach a tie down strap inside of the front wheel to the front of the trailer. This will alleviate the bike from moving back and forth.

3) Attach softy's to each side of the rear of the bike. My Roadking Classic has a rear crash bar that I attach the softy's to.

4) Be sure to leave the kickstand down. The bike should NOT move a bit when you try to rock it back and forth.

5) Drive like a bat-out-of-hell and get to your destination quickly and safely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Here I go assuming again.... :eek:

You said to eave the kickstand down... The bike is not resting on the kickstand is it??

·
Registered
266 Posts
Another option is to ask the dealer to deliver the bike. I bought mine 250 miles away, and they delivered it 3 days later. No charge. Every dealer I've seen has an enclosed trailer to do just that. Have them throw it in on the deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trailering your bike

Get a Pingle wheel chock and read the instructions on it. It will make all the difference in the world trailering your bike.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: If YA GOTTA

highrider said:

Be sure to wear a mask though, preferably one with a fake nose and mustache.

LMAO :D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Re: If YA GOTTA

highrider said:

Be sure to wear a mask though, preferably one with a fake nose and mustache.

Have fun.

Ok that's it! I have to say something here.

Highrider, I think that advice shows a lack of concern for not only the person you gave it to, but the entire planet !

Recent studies have shown, that "Groucho Masks" have been left along side styrofoam cups to litter the worlds garbage dumps with materials that will not break down over time.
Scientist and Medical Researchers are concerned that within the next decade, the problem will have become one that .... "...could endanger the ecological balance of the planet forever..." stated one prominent member of the Spokane Chapter F.A.G.M.A. ( No it is not a gang of *******. It stands for Fu(k A Groucho Mask Anyway, )

At a recent FAGMA meeting in Bullhead City Az, the members were alarmed at the rate of increase of these discarded masks. One member commented, "Well, I was ridin through the Grand Canyon mindin my own stinkin bussiness when all of the sudden there it was right smack in the middle of the road. A two year old Buck wearing a Groucho Mask frozen there in my damn headlight. The damn Buck musta been rumaging through one of the local dumps and picked up one of those stinking non-biodegradeable damn masks. It was a nightmare I tell ya! I still to this day wake up screaming in the middle of the night."

Stories such as this are all to common these days for us to continue to turn our backs on this mounting problem.

I think it behooves us as Bikers to take a stand for what is right. The smart thing for us to do is to quickly form a group and rally behind this cause.

Therefore I formally propose that we be called.......

B.A.G.G.E.R.S. Bikers Against Groucho Gear Echo Resourse Savers

We shall forever be committed to our duty to save the planet and henceforth vow together that if ANYONE HERE ever thinks of putting his baby on a trailer he will do so wearing a Paper Bag and NOT an Groucho Mask!

·
Registered
432 Posts
JIMMYK, what about all the computers you just wasted from coffee being blown on then reading your post. I ride a bagger so I'll take that pledge. But I think I'll ride instead of trailer.
LMAO Dan

·
Registered
432 Posts
JIMMYK, what about all the computers you just wasted from coffee being blown on then reading your post. I ride a bagger so I'll take that pledge.
LMAO Dan

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
98rk said:
JIMMYK, what about all the computers you just wasted from coffee being blown on then reading your post. LMAO Dan

Well, if ya make yer coffee like I do, the keyboard will quickly disolve so as not to be a menace to the EchoSystem.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
WIR BRAUCHEN KEINEN STINKING ANHÄNGER NICHT.

·
old timer
516 Posts
If it were winter....snowing, that is, or if the bike is broke down...trailers are useful.

No other circumstances.

I bought my new bagger in phoenix...900+ miles away and I rode it home. I then rode it 9770 miles cross-country. I have a great disdain for trailering bikes.

I see baggers on trailers and wonder....

I see perfectly good bikes on trailers and wonder...

If you are gonna haul your bike get an enclosed trailer so that folks can't see your folly.

Groucho glasses are not disguise enough...

manny

·
Registered
903 Posts
If it is snowing or if the bike has broken down . If it is winter..."We shall ride into battle, and the bagger will be our horse".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:D LMAO!!!

Damn, you guys know how to drive a point home!!! :D

I get the subtle message.... :p But remember, this is my first street bike and i didn't want to get my feet wet driving through Atlanta traffic. :eek:

I'll figure something out though...
:)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yo Toe !

Bikers LOVE a good sport and you sure as hell seem like one man!

Hey, see if you can get someone to follow ya in the truck. Hell, Ride the thing out of the lot and get a few miles in before ya decide. If ya just can't do it, toss the thing in the back of the truck.

My bet is if your ride it out of the lot, and ya got someone at yer ass in a truck, a few miles down the road you will KNOW you are riding the sucker all the way home. Try it that way man ! If you do, I will be someone ya always remember years from now when ya look back on it all. That woulkd be an honor for me bro ! Come on, you can do it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts