V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed for a ralley next month that's four hours away. Wife's butt can't take it. The four hour trip would turn into eight hours. I've got a low-boy trailer and my question is: do you really need one of those racks that the front tire goes into or could I just tie the front tire (ratchet strap) to the front of the trailer and then finish up by tieing down the handlebars?
Yeah, I know, she's a sissy...but I like her (and her butt).

·
Registered
177 Posts
First thing have you considered a new seat for the OL, sorry had to get that out of the way. The rack lets you position the bike futher back on the trailer for proper tongue weight. If that is not an issue go ahead, handle bar straps are nice they keep the hooks off the bars. IMPORTANT.. Don't forget to secure The rear of the bike.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose there would be some bouncing around and the bike would end up sideways on the trailer. Thanks Rog.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
dave51 said:
.....and my question is: do you really need one of those racks that the front tire goes into or could I just tie the front tire (ratchet strap) to the front of the trailer and then finish up by tieing down the handlebars?
You're talking about a wheel chock. Prevents your ride from slipping sideways .

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
If your trailer has a wood florr, just screw down some 2x4s and make your own temporary chocks front and rear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
shouldnt use the tie downs from the handle bars. the right way is to strap down from the forks. i know alot will be said about this. but the bars have a rubber bushing thing in them and you could damage it. the forks are the best way to go.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I'M SORRY BUT IT IS KILLING ME !!!! :eek:

WIR BRAUCHEN KEINEN STINKING ANHÄNGER NICHT !

Ahhhhhhh ! I feel better now.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uh Jimmy? Run that by me again. En englais, por favor.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Creo que es muy importante que tenemos el trailers, pero todo el tiempo...no.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Remember when you go to tie it down to put a 4x4 or something similar under the frame before you compress the front forks. This will avoid compressing the forks till they bottom out and will help ensure a secure bike

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well Dave. I probably don't place the same importance on the things, BUT!, I do believe in live and let live. :D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Puede hablar Espanol? Muy bueno. Creo que no es posible a vivir en Tejas y no habla Espanol. Verdad?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well, I suppose one could live in Texas without it, but you would probably have to mow your own lawn. :eek:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Dave, I used to trailer regularly with my motorhome. A real nice accessory, and I can't remember the maker, is a nylon web contraption which fits over the handlebars. Its has loops to then connect to the tie downs. This way, you never hook a tie down to ant part of the bike and the nylon web distribetes the tie down force over the entire handlebars. It also positions the tiedowns out far enough so they will rub on the gas tank (don't ask how I know this can f%&$ up a paint job.

I got the idea from a guy who transported motorcycles for a living (in a semi) and said he always used this because it was so secure and so easy. Could probably find it with a search using motorcycles, tie down etal, Cost about $50 or so.

greg

ps, finally got a road king and sold the motorhome. The king and a cheap motel is lots more fun than a nice motorhome and a Honda.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info. Straydog told me in an earlier post that American Iron magazine had an article about trailering a bike. The article had exactly the tie down system you speak of.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts