V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the budget minded bikers who trailer.
My wife and I have plans for a 3 week 3000 mile motorhome trip this summer. Our motorhome is a 1986 27' class C Winnebago with Ford 460. I plan on using a 05 FXD Superglide as our "tow" vehicle for exploring and fun sidetrips etc. Thinking of budget trailering options for under $1500.00 max. May get lucky and find a used covered trailer however I am also considering something like a used 5'x10' landscape trailer. They seem to be common in So Cal with 15" wheels, built in loading ramp and covered sides to give some protection from the road.
Many used ones between $600 - $1000. Just wonder if anyone else is using something like this or similar as a long distance Harley hauler?

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Trailer choice? <insert shudder here> :unsure:

Go with an enclosed trailer if possible so you can park and walk away without worrying about the bike and also so everyone won't point and giggle. :blink:

Just kidding ;) You need to understand and be ready for some good natured ribbing since topics in a motorcycle forum are primarily about riding and not hauling. :corn:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Leave the motorhome parked and take the bike. 3000 miles in 3 weeks? Sound like a nice leisurely putt on the bike that could easily turn into 6000 miles.

Wife doesn't like the idea??? Tell her to drive the motorhome and you can follow (wink wink).

darrell

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Ironrdr said:
Leave the motorhome parked and take the bike. 3000 miles in 3 weeks? Sound like a nice leisurely putt on the bike that could easily turn into 6000 miles.

Wife doesn't like the idea??? Tell her to drive the motorhome and you can follow (wink wink).

darrell
My thoughts exactly. They won't regret it!

·
Registered
769 Posts
mboogiemanusa said:
Question for the budget minded bikers who trailer.
My wife and I have plans for a 3 week 3000 mile motorhome trip this summer. Our motorhome is a 1986 27' class C Winnebago with Ford 460. I plan on using a 05 FXD Superglide as our "tow" vehicle for exploring and fun sidetrips etc. Thinking of budget trailering options for under $1500.00 max. May get lucky and find a used covered trailer however I am also considering something like a used 5'x10' landscape trailer. They seem to be common in So Cal with 15" wheels, built in loading ramp and covered sides to give some protection from the road.
Many used ones between $600 - $1000. Just wonder if anyone else is using something like this or similar as a long distance Harley hauler?

Ok lets get the original question out of the ways ,,, if you want a trailer spend the money to buy a real bike trailer.....a cargo trailer is a handy thing even if you dont use it to haul the bike.

Now lets explore this motor home deal with the bike on the trailer a little. Personally i think you are not going to save any money, you will spend more money , in fact you are exposing yourselves to what i call the nightmares of the road. Lets look at the facts ,, ya have an old motorhome that may well break,, you have a trailer that may well spin a bearing and break .... you have wear and tear all the bike , the trailer and the motorhome, and big fuel expenses..... The only thing i see is more chance of problems ...... If you want to explore on a bike ,,, start your exploration the minute you leave your driveway..on your bike. The only thing i see is that you have the wrong bike for real two up touring in comfort ,,,,, get a full dresser and go touring ,,, there is no more pleasure to be had on two wheels, in my opinion. Get the right bike , and the right gear ... and get out on the HWY and find a little adventure....... You take 4 days worth of clothes... your riding gear and the maps......and some cash and a credit card ......our longest tour to date was 7000 miles... with a nice 3 week break down in south texas, to have a little endless summer, hit the roar by the shore, and do a little business and maintence on a rental property i own down there........20 days total riding..... it was a great trip. I will admit that the first time you really head out on a long trip there is some anxiety......about being so far away from home with just your bike ..... after you do it a couple times .....you will find there is no better way to travel .......the secret is having the proper machine and riding gear to stay dry , warm , and cool.......Whats so funny is my wife who had never been around bikes, now looks at a 5000 mile run as a cake walk.....rat

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Heck yeah. You can probably stay in non-roach infested motels when you add the gas money you saved to the RV hookup/camping fees you'll save.
Unless your wife likes to take all the sh!t she owns with her...

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Mine fills whatever space is available to her. In the truck it's the entire bed under a tonneau cover.
But on the bike, it's only one saddlebag, and she does it w/o a complaint.
I done good... :D

·
Registered
769 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Mine fills whatever space is available to her. In the truck it's the entire bed under a tonneau cover.
But on the bike, it's only one saddlebag, and she does it w/o a complaint.
I done good... :D

Yup thats the way you do it .....after the shock wears off ,, its amazing what they can get into a saddle bag .....rat

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
to answer your question, in that price range you can get a one place Kendon trailer that will stand up in the corner for storage when not in use. For a little more you can get a two place. I used to own one and never had a problem with it. It has been towed all by over me and everyone that kept borrowing it. Because of that I got rid of it and combined my snowmobile trailer and motorcycle trailer into one.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
trailers must be more expensive in CA because around here, you could get a new one for that price. The Kendon trailer is a good option. A landscape trailer is another one. With sides on the trailer, you will worry less. You would just need to buy the wheel chocks to put on it and the tie down rings.

Isn't it amazing how no one cares if you pull a car behind a motorhome but a bike is a no no. ^rolleyez^ Good luck with your trip, mboogiemanusa!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I towed my bike from Anchorage, AK to NC on a Triton single place snowmobile trailer. Didn't have a problem. Oh by the way, I was moving from AK to NC.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Personally, I use a Triton 4x8 aluminum trailer like this when I need to tow my bike.
http://www.tritontrailers.com/accessories/XL AUT rail kit.jpg
I like it better than a MC specific trailer like a Kendon because I can use it for other things since I do I have room to store it at the house. Since it's all Al, I can very easily move it around by myself when it's not loaded and I don't have to worry about rust, etc. I mount an easily removable LA Chock like this one:
http://www.baxleycompanies.com/LAChock.html
It has build in channels for D link rings (bought from Triton). With correct strapping it is very solid for transportation anywhere. The build on tailgate works just fine as a loading ramp. As I recall I bought one as shown in the first link for about $1100-1220, added a spare tire kit and the D rings as extras.

Kendons are very nice trailers and the stand-up feature helps a lot of storage is an issue. But, as I said, I wanted one that can double as a general use trailer as well. The LA chock also gets double duty as a general bike stand for misc. maintenance work or just when I want to store it OFF the kick stand.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
One note about landscape trailers with the fold up ramp. It will act like a parachute at speed. If you go with one, omit this option and figure something else out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
got a VERY nice [good as new to me] 7x14 fully inclosed 2001 twin axle trailer off this board for $2200.
couldn't be happier with the trailer or doing bussiness with the member of this board.
look around, a fully inclosed 4x8 or maybe even a 5x10 in nice used condition can be had for your money.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
FWIW - you might look at a trailer with enough space for two bikes and a little gear. Ya never know - the wife/a friend might get into riding and you'll have room for options.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
just my .02
pulling a short trailer that you can't see, behind a long motorhome could be a problem if you have to back up.
i've seen some type of motorcycle carrier that's mounted to the rear(frame) of motorhomes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought a 6X10 single ax for one Ultra. Now my 18 year old step son is riding along with brother inlaw etc.... If I were doing it all over again, I would get at least a 7X14 twin ax V-nose so I could hall two bikes. We almost always have at least two bikes when we go. I live in the frozen north, and like to head south in the winter. Please dont flame me because I trailer in the winter months when snow and ice are a factor!

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I bought one of those Kendon fold up trailers off of ebay for a little over 1K, was almost brand new. Now I drove a few hours to meet the guy pay him and pick up the trailer after I bought it. Towed it home and folded it up and tucked it in a nice spot in the garage and have not used the darned thing since. I am serious, never once have I used it. No I am not wanting to sell it but heck if I know why I got it. Seemed like a good idea at the time but have not used it once. And yes I have tags on it and paid taxes to register it so that makes me an even bigger dumb ass doesn't it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts