V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best trailer hitch out there for the Ultra Classic bikes?

Also is there any wiring for the ultras that just plug in instead of splicing and soldering wires?

Info and links would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add just in case it makes a difference that I am going to purchase an 2008 ultra.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Just did a Google search... there are a bunch of 'em out there!
Hopefully you'll get an answer from someone who is already towing.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I got my hitch from the trailer manufacturer but I think it's the same one Kury Akyn puts out. I use a regular ball on mine. I have had the swivel type in the past, I believe it's called a Heim<sp> but find the ball works just as well. I think splicing is your only option for the wiring.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Hitch Doc (use google) makes a good one. Look for the "ghost" type setup. That way when you're not pulling the trailer, you can pull the piece with the ball on it off the bike. Little more $$ but worth it. There are probably a few more out there.

You can get a plug-in wiring setup (at least for 07 and earlier models) from J&P Cycles and probably a few other places. Don't know about the 08's but I'm sure they are covered too or will be shortly. Absolutely no need to cut, splice or solder nowadays. I've installed a bunch over the years.

I would also suggest LED lights on whatever trailer you going to use.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I have a Hitch Doc on my street glide. Its a great hitch

·
Flying low
812 Posts
I put a Kuryakyn hitch on mine, and picked up a wiring harness for something like $20 or so on Fleabay. Then I picked up the trailer harness from a local place.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the input. I really like that last link for wiring as you don't have to do anything but plug it in. The other ones you still have to use the butt connectors or solder which has always been a possible failure point.

I don't know which hitch to use, so many choices, but I do like that bushtec and the fact its 1/4 inch plate too.

If there is anyone else using different hitches please let me know.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I use a kury hitch but....I sure am thinkng the one EdY told you about looks real good to me. I might be doing some swaping out this winter. Oh and the wiring on the same site would have saved me a bunch of time designing my own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hitches

I to have been thinking about pulling a trailer behind my ulta. From everything I've read the Bushtec's seem to be the best. $4000 for a basic trailer just seems way to high.
When I had my bike in to the dealer last week for the 10,000 mile service I asked the service manager his opinions on trailers. Will accelerate rear tire wear, brake wear and if the bike breaks down under warranty as soon as Harley see's the hitch my warranty is void. Once the warranty is up it doesen't matter though.
I looked at Bushtec's last weekend at a rally and they are nice. The extra space would be nice.
For you people that already pull trailers, how has it affected your tire wear nad break wear?
The jury is still out on this one.

Bobo

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've pulled many, many thousands of miles with a 1988 FXSTS and my current 1999 FLHT. As far as tire wear and brake wear goes, I'm sure it probably affects it somewhat but definitely not extreme. I can get 12-14,000 on a rear tire on my FLHT with probably 5-6,000 of that pulling a trailer.

Most peoplet that spout all that BS about pulling trailers really have no idea what they are talking about. I've also had warranty work done on my 99 FLHT and no mention was ever made of a trailer hitch. They'd have to prove pulling a trailer caused the problem.

My opinions. :whistle: :whistle:

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Well, you've always heard the old saying about "you get what ya pay for".. That would be the case with a Bushtec. You're looking at, what I consider, the best. Do a search and I don't think you'll find anything negative about the Bushtec. I researched the trailer arena for maybe 6 months before narrowing it down to 2 maybe 3. Went to Sturgis in 2006 and looked at every trailer there..including the Bushtec.

One trailer company there said they'd sell me the trailer but I'd have to wire or get my bike wired (already had a regular hitch installed) and then they'd show me how to hook it up. Also they would mail me the papers for the trailer cause they'd forgotten 'em. Went to the Bushtec guys, John and Andy, they said we'll wire your bike, exchange hitches and walk me thru hooking it up...once I'd watched a complete DVD on maintenance, towing and such on the trailer (without any popcorn I might add..LoL!!). Yeah, $4000.00 is quite a bit for a basic trailer...but nothing is basic about the Bushtec.

As far as the Service Manager and voiding the warranty....tell him to pound corn. I've had several visits to dealerships for warranty work WITH a trailer hitch plainly in sight. AND I'm not talking my local bunch...I'm talking about on the road, Albany, OR, Ft Smith, AR, Seattle, WA, Daytona, FL....he doesn't know what he's talking about.

As far as tire wear. Let's see here: 45-50# stuff/luggage (tour-pac and saddlebags) or 35# tongue weight.. I've had NO visible tire wear problems since I started towing my Bushtec RoadStar, NONE!! And you right, that extra space is great. AND another thing I've felt stability in the bike with the trailer back there especially in the rain. You know every time I see one of those Dodge pickup commercials about being able to tow more than they can haul...I think about my trailer. The one VERY dangerous thing about towing a Bushtec "is forgetting it's back there" because you can't tell.

You want to talk tire wear...trying towing, pulling, pushing (what ever the hell you want to call it) a sidecar down the road.

o~\o

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ed Y said:
I've pulled many, many thousands of miles with a 1988 FXSTS and my current 1999 FLHT. As far as tire wear and brake wear goes, I'm sure it probably affects it somewhat but definitely not extreme. I can get 12-14,000 on a rear tire on my FLHT with probably 5-6,000 of that pulling a trailer.
:

Just curious, what tires are you running?? I never heard of anyone getting over 9000 on a rear tire before

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
wildey said:
.....I never heard of anyone getting over 9000 on a rear tire before
Well, now you've heard of two. I've gotten 12,000-14,000 out of the last 2 rears I've put on...I run Dunlop D402s on my '02 Ultra. I get about the same, maybe a little less on my Dyna running an ME88 Metzler. Most of my miles on both bikes are solo.

It's ALL in the way you ride, 2 up or solo and how you roll on that throttle.

o~\o

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
wildey said:
Just curious, what tires are you running?? I never heard of anyone getting over 9000 on a rear tire before
Started with the stock Dunlop 402 rear. Switched to the Dunlop 491 at the 1st tire change. Used 491's until they were replaced by the Dunlop Elite 3 about 2-3 years ago. Bike now has 118,000 miles on it so I've been thru a few rear tires.

That kind of mileage is not unusual. I will be the 1st to admit that I don't do too many high speed runs. Most of my trips I spend in the 70-75 MPH range on the interstate and 60 or so on 2 lane roads. In other words, I stay within reasonable speed limits.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts