V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running into a lot more traffic lights that use vehicle sensors to trigger the change instead of timers. Trouble is, my 600 pound Harley won't cause a lot of these lights to change.

Just curious if you all are running into this more these days, and how you deal with it - i.e., . if you go through a red because it won't change, is this defensible in court?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Gov Jesse Ventura okayed a bill in Minnisota which allows motorcyclists stuck at a light to jump the light -as long as they come to a complete stop first of course.

I have no problem jumping a light....but only after I have sat there for a few minutes to verify the bike won't trip the sensor.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Some company makes a "green light trigger", a small magnet which you attach to the bike which is "supposed" to stop this. I tried it for my small 650 beemer, and it didn't seem to work.

I've had better luck (but not 100%) turning off the engine and restarting. Apparently most lights are triggered by magnetic field (e.g. a motorcycle can be too small). Starting the engine, or so I was told, sets off a powerfull magnetic charge of some sort from the alternater. I heardtjis on the BMW 650 site, where the problem is really prevalent.

I usually make a right and an immediate u-turn if I have the problem.

greg

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I usually try to stop with my wheels right on top of the saw cut where they put the loop if I can see it. On the rare occaision it still won't switch I just run the light or turn right for a U turn as gbenner suggested - whichever happens to be safer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There's one in town like that, first few times I sat there through 2 or 3 rounds. Now I know so I just wait until its safe and run the d*&^ thing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I treat red lights like stop signs, especially if it is real hot outside.

JMS

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi John,

Yes I run into this frequently. I have run several, but like Joe, I sit there for a couple minutes to make sure that the bike isn't going to trip the sensor.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
This happens just about daily for me. Depending on the time of day & traffic I'll usually sit through 1 light cycle & then drive through when it's clear. But if it's late at night & theres no traffic around, I'll be darned if I'm gonna stand around at the intersection for a light that isn't about to change.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
JoeJitsu said:
Gov Jesse Ventura okayed a bill in Minnisota which allows motorcyclists stuck at a light to jump the light -as long as they come to a complete stop first of course.
Sounds like legal precedent to me. There are a lot of Five-0 on this site, so maybe they can comment, but I can't imagine any cop giving you a ticket for safely stopping at a red light and going on if the light can't be triggered by your bike. Sort of like speeding a bit, they know you can't kill anyone but yourself, and they tend to look the other way unless you're acting the fool.

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is a real pain when half of the lights in town that don't sense my bike (about 25% of them), won't even sense my Bronco!

Funny how the city was quick to respond to my e-mail and call me back and leave a message, only to not return my return call where I mentioned the problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Isn't is funny how they can't make the ones to cycle the stop lights as sensitive as the ones on the toll road :mad:

The light outside my subdivision gets me every morning, I stop wait and go. But the damn toll road sends me nasty grams everytime I forget my EZ tag at the house.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Killing and restarting the engine works for me. I read it here some time ago. :Dennis

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Friend and I were eating lunch at Mexican restaurant near work about 3 years ago. We were on outside patio next to dead-end street that was about 150 ft. long and was entrance to some condos. Also parking lot from restaurant had an exit to this street. I started noticing something weird and took out my watch.

IF a car was on that street and reached the red light, when it changed to green, it stayed green 7 seconds before it changed to yellow. About time for 1 - 2 cars to get through light.

BUT if a car wasn't on that street and the light changed to green, it stayed green 27 seconds before it changed to yellow.

We checked this out about 30 times and laughed our asses off about it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I usually stop my scoot on the sensor and that usually works or I wait for a car to come up behind me. While working I've stopped bikes twice before for going through a red light and figured it was because the bike wouldn't trigger the sensor. As soon as they said the light wouldn't change I let them go. Of course, both times it was late at night with no traffic.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
If the traffic is heavy, I pull all the way forward and wave the car behind me up. A couple times I've had to get off and explain it to em though.

Bikes get a break on the situation cause I've been there, specially the intersections that do it every time. But, when they roll a car too far into the intersection right past the BIG WHITE STOP LINE, I let em sit, and chastise em if they run it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts