V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trading my 98 Ultra for 05 Deluxe, need opinions PLEASE

Greetings all. I am thinking of trading my 98 Ultra (only 19K miles) for a 2005 Deluxe (only 1200 miles). The trade would be even, but here's the catch. The deluxe was a theft recovery and was stripped of the fenders, tank, tires/wheels and electrical. The person I would trade with purchased the bike and has replaced all of the parts with factory stuff. The bike looks right, runs and rides like it should. He is just ready to move to another project.

My Ultra is in very good condition, with a mustang seat, Bub exhaust, PC IIIUSB, EV 23 cams, bearings and adjustable pushrod upgrade. Not to mention various chrome accessories. Has never been down, period.

The deluxe is pearl white and black, new tires, wheels, fenders, tank, exhaust, etc.. Has Dakota digital speedo system now. No backrest or windshield.

So, any opinions about whether this would be a good even trade or not?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
first thing I would do is check with my insurance and be sure I could insure it , sometimes they will not insure a rebuild. Also some of the things , like the seat from your 98 should swap if you really like the seat.As far as the trade only you know if you will be happy with the deal .

LoneEagle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife and I are raising 2 grandkids now and most of my riding is around town, the lake or short half-day trips with my local MC. No real road trips and the Mrs. doesn't care to ride. My biggest concern would be whether I would be coming out on the short end of the stick ($$). Owner (local custom bike dealer) says that the title is clean (not rebuild), how it is I don't know, but I have known him for several years and he has always been honest. I will ask to see the title and also check with my agent.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow, reason to downgrade ? I sold off a 2003 bagger to buy a 2005 deluxe. The deluxe in my humble opinion is the best looking bike out there but darn after a year of changing shocks, seats etc... I went back and bought another electraglide. I just could not get past the difference in the ride.
I am also pretty darn sure a bagger seat will not fit a softail due to how deep the softail seat drops.
Best of luck with your decision.
BC

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
The question should not be about which is a "better" bike, the question should be about which bike is better for you.

If you have a 1998 Ultra with only 19,000 miles on it, and you planned to take some high mileage trips, that would be the choice, but since it sounds like you are planning to ride local, the deluxe is a good choice.

You better listen to the others and find out about insuring a rebuild before deciding.

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Your question is really a personal preference one... I had an 04 Heritage that got totaled, bought an 08 FLHR, sold it for an 09 FLHRC, then traded that back for a 2012 Heritage.. lol. Couldn't be happier.... I'll take the softail ride over the FL rides any day. LOVE my softail!

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
So, a basket case Soft tail with a shady past for an Ultra that in very good shape. Really.........you think that might be a good trade???? :wtf::hystria: RUN hard and fast.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why trade a EVO for a Twinkie. Your FLH is a much better ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts