V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow just came from the dealer with the wife looking at an Electra Glide Classic. Torn between a Street Glide and the inevitable...:laugh: Really nice, wife liked the comfy seat, nice back rest, explaining the safety issue about ABS, etc. Then the salesman drops the bomb. My 06 FLHRCI is only worth about 10,900 in trade in. Dropped 9K in less then two years. Well there goes those thoughts. Anyone else seen trade in prices drop so low?

Jimmy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well DUH. They never give you what it's worth. They want to make a nice healthy profit on both the bike you buy and the one you are giving them.....

Sell you old bike your self. Not a good time of year to sell for preimum price.
Then go buy the new one

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I knew they were gonna make some cash both comming and going, but the least they could do is buy you dinner before they bend you over. :spank: I know I can sell it myself, just didn't want the hassle. I'll probably just wait awhile. Nothing wrong with the current scoot, just get to thinking...

Jimmy

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I say keep your ride and enjoy it. That is what I plan to do with my '06 RG. I have poured so much $ into this ride there is no way they would ever offer me enough on trade on it to make me do it. Not sure if you did any motor upgrades on your ride or not but for me already having a 103 a new stock bike is a step backwards and just a begining. You also have to consider that it takes alot of time and usally money to get a bike to where you want it and the prospect for me anyway of starting over setting up another bagger the way I like it is not a road I want to travel right now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah she's pretty much stock, just a few pieces here and there. Engine is stock except stage 1 and V&H pipes. What got me thinking in the first place was a stereo, tired of hearing my own bad voice while riding. Then was going to put new handlebars and cables, etc. so I figured I'd look into a new one. Didn't want to spend a few G's and then trade in.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Shop around. You can do better than that for trade in value. Go to NADA.org to get a fair assessment of your trade in value. You can also find the value at Motorcycle Consumer News' website.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
JimmyAGR said:
Wow just came from the dealer with the wife looking at an Electra Glide Classic. Torn between a Street Glide and the inevitable...:laugh: Really nice, wife liked the comfy seat, nice back rest, explaining the safety issue about ABS, etc. Then the salesman drops the bomb. My 06 FLHRCI is only worth about 10,900 in trade in. Dropped 9K in less then two years. Well there goes those thoughts. Anyone else seen trade in prices drop so low?

Jimmy
It's called negotiating. The salesman did what he is told.......and that is to try you on. Did you make a counter offer, or did you just leave? Did he have the bike you wanted in stock? Were you ready to do biz at the moment? Sales are slowwwwww right now.........don't hesitate to work them, just like they tried to work you. I bought my new Electra Glide 2 months ago, and it took me 3 hours to make the deal.

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
I would guess the best you will be able to do is NADA or Blue Book trade in value with no allowance for add ons. Market is very soft. Without checking tho I think the 10.9K seems pretty low.
It took me a year to sell my 03 but I was holding out for a good price.
Finally went to a Canadian thru HD Trader. It's very attractive for them to come here however riding season will be over in many place pretty soon.

·
Registered
967 Posts
For an 06? That seems way low. Maybe that was just the first shot across the bow, counter him with some return fire! When I bought my 04 EGC, they lowballed me with a ridulous number for my trade. I expected it and just laughed. Sold it on my own in three days.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
KBB and NADA are just guides. Other factors are time of year, old motor, milage, demand.........Just try calling someone at KBB or NADA to see if their willing to give you what they say your bikes worth. Opps....they dont have a 1-800 number with operators standing by to cut a check? BTW KBB's good trade in value is only $11950...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked HDtrader and NADA, lowest on the trader was over 15 and NADA says 15+. I'll go back and negotiate after a test ride of the Ultra they have. They don't have a classic in stock, so maybe they were just seeing if I was serious. I don't bring the wife unless I'm serious, but they don't know that. Funny thing is if they gave me a good offer I would've jumped. Oh well more time to think about it.

Jimmy

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I know a guy that recently bought a 06 RG with under 6000mi for 12k. The market is soft, he got a deal, but that is all a dealer will offer for a trade-in.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Dealers make a larger percentage on used bikes than they do new. I have never and never will TRADE in anything. You take it in the shorts EVERYTIME. You are correct its nerve racking to sell a motorcycle. NEVER let anyone TEST ride your bike without having the selling price cash in your hand. If the bike comes back in the same condition as it left and they aren't happy give it back to them, if not they just bought a new scooter.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Dealer just gave me 12K in trade for my 01 FLTRI. No one was more shocked than me when they made me that offer. I figured the most I could have hoped for in the open market was around $11k if I was lucky and might have taken me a long time to sell

Love my 08 Road Glide, no way I could leave that $12k offer on the table when I was gonna buy new eventually anyhow.

I still don't get it, they didn't jack the price on the new bike and I bought zero add ons...
The 01 was a nice bike but c'mon, why the $12k? Guess there's alot of $$ in those new bikes and they really wanted to move em... HMMM

·
Registered
8 Posts
:hmmm: Its a slow time of the season for selling a used bike and that is one of the things the dealer was thinking. He would have his $ tied up til next spring/summer sitting around going down in value.
I bought my 07 Roadglide this time last year and the dealer didn't even want to talk about trading in my 02 Ultra on the deal. I ended up having both bikes until 2 months ago when I sold the Ultra to a friend for a real good deal for him.
The last year M/C sales have slowed way down from thier level of the last 5 or 6 years, and that has made it a buyers market.
Mike
07Fltr

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
03 Roadking said:
Dealers make a larger percentage on used bikes than they do new. I have never and never will TRADE in anything. You take it in the shorts EVERYTIME. You are correct its nerve racking to sell a motorcycle.
Good luck
now imagine what its like investing a boatload of your money in a showroom full of them and having to sell them...

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
The current BLUE BOOK price for an FLHRCI, 06, is $16410 retail and $11720 wholesale/trade in value. $10900 is a real Low Ball.

jmho

Bwana01

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
03 Roadking said:
Dealers make a larger percentage on used bikes than they do new.
.......and I'm sure you have done extensive nationwide research before coming up with that conclusion. Interesting, how people have no problem counting someone else's money.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xcelr8 said:
funny how nobody asked about miles/condition/color before jumping on prices.......
It's a Black Cherry, in pretty mint condition and has about 7500 miles on it. Not a dog in any way.

Jimmy

1 - 20 of 52 Posts