V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with an Auto Theft Detective the other day and asked if LOJACK was available for bikes. He said no because the equipment was too big to fit on a bike.

He did say there is a GPS system availabe for bikes. You pay a monthly fee for the service. You can also monitor your bikes whereabouts from your home computor.

Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I've never heard of a GPS that can be used to "track" a bike... GPS tells you where you are at that location, by using a receiver which picks up a satellite signal. Using mapping software in the unit, you can determine your location. GPS units don't send out a signal, therefore you couldn't track where something was. He has his info mixed up.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
It would probably have to combine GPS technology with Cell phone technology. I know that if some cars get into a crash, they will call a hotline and give the GPS location of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
IMAGINE THE SMILE ON YOUR FRIENDS FACES TO ACTUALLY CATCH SOME SH#TBAG THAT IS IN POSSESION OF YOUR BIKE.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I read all about this a year or so ago...... the system I read a review on would actually allow someone on a home computer to tell exactly where a vehicle (including a motorcycle) was at any given time..... right down to the street address if the vehicle was parked.

I figured that if my wife was on the computer at home, I did not want her knowing EXACTLY where I was ALL THE TIME !!!

LOL, that's one 'gadget' I did not buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lo Jack is proximity based and requires a great deel of wires and
eqipment
there are other GPS tracking systems that intigrate with navagation systems.

the unit referenced ealier in this thread is not priced to badly....
since all other option are moot for a motorcycle

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
DaveT said:
I figured that if my wife was on the computer at home, I did not want her knowing EXACTLY where I was ALL THE TIME !!!

[/B]

Imagine that, i will be dead :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts