V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a continues issue with the TPS on my bike. About a year ago my OEM TPS went bad it seemed as the spring inside was damaged or broken. I replaced it with an aftermarket part, several months later it went bad again in the same way, I chopped it up as a bad part and went and bought a HD TPS and sure enough several months go by and it failed again. So now my third TPS has gone bad in less than 3000 miles. I have talked to many HD enthusiasts and mechanics with the same puzzled response. Has anyone seen this or heard of anything like this?

06 street bob, 88 cu in, 6-speed, aftermarket cam, V&H hi-output 2-1 exhaust, high flow intake, and a thundermax tuner

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It broke internally, not sure exactly how but when it is out of the bike and you turn the center piece it doesn't return to a closed potion. BIke never threw a code just starts running terribly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would start looking at the throttle shaft and how it fits the tps, also how the tps fits onto the throttle body.
If this is a mechanical breakage then something is amiss in how it is all fitting together or the interaction of
the throttle shaft and the tps.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Pretty sure you should have a 96 not an 88 just FYI.

Is there any resistance or binding at all on the butterfly, use your finger to open not the cable.
I just went through something similar on a friends 03. He went through two TPS sensors quick and the bike started loosing power once warmed up. His ended up being the butterfly shaft was binding and eventually sieved. It’s not a serviceable part so we had to get a new throttle body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts