V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to tow a bike in an emergency, what would be a good place to connect the tow rope on a Dyna? (using the Dyna to tow)

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Tow with a rope? Not very safe, in a turn, it could put you into a slide or even turn you over.

·
Banned
455 Posts
JRS said:
If you had to tow a bike in an emergency, what would be a good place to connect the tow rope on a Dyna? (using the Dyna to tow)

Thanks,
John
isnt that why they got cell phones?...to call for a trailer

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have to admit, with a little shame at my disregard for safety, that I have done this before. It was a long time ago, my sportster (with a king size peanut tank) towing a friend's sportster (with the little peanut). He had switched his fuel valve to reserve and we decided that he should see how many miles he could get on the reserve before he ran outta gas (good information to know with a tank that only holds 2.2 gal). After he ran it outta gas, we tied some 550 cord to my sissy bar (rigid mounted, not detachable) and he wrapped it around his handlebar a few turns and held the end in his throttle hand. I towed him a mile or two to the nearest fuel stop, and as we were getting close to the station he let go of his end of the two rope and it unraveled and he coasted on in to the gas station.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Far 3ast said:
I have to admit, with a little shame at my disregard for safety, that I have done this before. It was a long time ago, my sportster (with a king size peanut tank) towing a friend's sportster (with the little peanut). He had switched his fuel valve to reserve and we decided that he should see how many miles he could get on the reserve before he ran outta gas (good information to know with a tank that only holds 2.2 gal). After he ran it outta gas, we tied some 550 cord to my sissy bar (rigid mounted, not detachable) and he wrapped it around his handlebar a few turns and held the end in his throttle hand. I towed him a mile or two to the nearest fuel stop, and as we were getting close to the station he let go of his end of the two rope and it unraveled and he coasted on in to the gas station.

Boy, that story brought back a long forgotten memory. Years ago my brothers 500 Triumph threw the chain. Not only was he lucky at that time
as he was doing about 60 when it happened, but the way we got him to my buddy's house was even more lucky. lol Several of us took our belts off and
linked them together. I hooked the one end to the sissy bar on my Sportster and wrapped the other around his handlebars, between the risers. He held on to the end and I pulled him about 8 miles,down the shoulder of a hiway to a buddy's garage. It took us about an hour to put together a chain that would get him the 30 miles home. I don't think I'd try that these days. lol

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've done it, wild ride. We made a Y, two points on the bike and one on truck. Used ratchet straps I think for the bike side. I think engine guards, but could do forks. Wrapped up the center of the Y with a t-shirt to prevent scratching.

When the slack gets taken up, it jerks hard.

·
Twist it, pop it, burn it
161 Posts
That must've been fun!!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its scary. I was honestly thinking this was how I was going to go out. What a way to go, getting towed and bouncing your brains off the pavement. I seriously was thinking that. Happened to me last year.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
And then there was my good buddy

A couple of years ago my good friend decided to pull start his deuce. He went for the Y attachment tow line attached to his handlebars. Everything was going well until the tow line got slacked and the big Y dropped down and went around with hid front tire. It took about a third of a turn before the Y and the tire became locked up. Any doubts about how it turned out from there.

Towing...ropes NOT a great concept for motorcycles

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
On a sunday morning in 1974 we towed a VW 3 mi or so with a triumph trident. It got us there.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
HiAngle said:
Somehow "Darwin Awards" comes to mind.
And the word ***** comes to mind, too.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I took a trip with a guy once, who carried a strap, for towing bikes from other bikes. That I don't think is so bad. You don't get the hard jerk. But the lead bike is more vunerable to what happens to the rear bike. But if your going slow...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts