V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Gonna need to put new tires on the scoot this coming spring. I am mixed on what to put back on. I know the dunlops do well, but see that Michelin has tires out that HD approves of. Does anybody have any experience with the Michelins?

Anybody have a suggestion for all around good touring tires?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
I spent an hour last night doing a search here for a new rear tire for the fxdx-t. Michelin or Avon or Continental. Knock yourself out. After you read everyone else's choice you will still be just as confused. BTW, what oil is best?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am currently running the dunlop Elite 3 or E3 as most people call them on a heritage. I had been running Avon venom but was not getting any mileage from them. I currently have 3000 miles on the E3's and they still look new, at the same mileage with the Avon's they would be over half worn. I know that everyone has an opinion about tires and this is my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
CAS said:
All,
Gonna need to put new tires on the scoot this coming spring. I am mixed on what to put back on. I know the dunlops do well, but see that Michelin has tires out that HD approves of. Does anybody have any experience with the Michelins?

Thanks in advance!!
In reply to the above.

I like my E3's. Only 800 miles but I do enjoy their stickiness and ability to track.

TC

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Put E3's on last Thursday. Have 1400 miles on them in all conditions (except snow and ice; thank goodness) including touring 2-up and heavy with gear.

Very happy with them.

I was quite happy with how well they handled HEAVY rain (even hail) despite the lack of that dang center grove on so many touring tires. Biggest problem in heavy rain was negotiating all the cages parked on the Interstate.

But I'm also curious if anyone has experience with the new Michelins. Not that I'd change from E3s, just curious.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
chrt396 said:
I think the question was..."Does anyone have experience with Michelins"

must have missed the next sentence then:

"Anybody have a suggestion for all around good touring tires?" :yes:

·
Free agent
795 Posts
george248 said:
must have missed the next sentence then:

"Anybody have a suggestion for all around good touring tires?" :yes:
You're right!! My bad!! I looked back after I hit submit and said.."oops!"

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Terry C said:
In reply to the above.

I like my E3's. Only 800 miles but I do enjoy their stickiness and ability to track.

TC
Sure wish the E3s came with wide white walls. Dunlop has said they do not plan to do that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
trooper113 said:
I put an E3 on the rear of my Ultra about 1,500 miles ago.....love it! I'll replace both with E3s next time.
How does the E3 get along with the front stock Dunlop?

I'll be looking for a new rear tire soon for my EGC and have heard the E3's don't track rain grooves, metal gratings, tar snakes, etc. like the stock tires do, which is my only complaint with the OEM tires...

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Electraglidin' said:
How does the E3 get along with the front stock Dunlop?

I'll be looking for a new rear tire soon for my EGC and have heard the E3's don't track rain grooves, metal gratings, tar snakes, etc. like the stock tires do, which is my only complaint with the OEM tires...
They seem to work well together. I'd like E3s on both ends, but my front tire was in great shape. My indie said they'd been told there was no problem pairing the two. Anyway...my results are good, but I'll be even happier when I have E3s on both ends.

·
Registered
133 Posts
trooper113 said:
They seem to work well together. I'd like E3s on both ends, but my front tire was in great shape. My indie said they'd been told there was no problem pairing the two. Anyway...my results are good, but I'll be even happier when I have E3s on both ends.
Thanks for the information! :)

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I had Michelins on my bike. They were horribley out of ballance and they had to put many weights on the wheels. They don't grip as well as Avons. I wouldn't buy them again. I got 9000 on the back and it was worn, but I am rough on tires.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tires

Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to try the Elite 3's this time around. Question for those in the know.. I see that there is a MU series and MT series available for the rear. Seems that the MU series is a little wider that the MT.

Other than width is tere any advantage to going with the MU over the MT?

Will the MU fit without any clearance problems?

Thanks All!!{salute( Currently in Kyrgyzstan and can't wait to get home!!

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
CAS said:
All,

Thanks in advance!!

I've had very good results with Metzlers 880E both ends.

Just my -2$en#e- Worth

1 - 20 of 36 Posts