V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2011 FLHR. I took several long trips of about 400-500 miles per day. And by the end of the day my legs were killing me, and my butt was dead. I replaced the floorboards and brake lever with extended ones. But the seat I feel is the big problem. I seem to be sitting both too far forward and too low in the seat. It was suggested that I purchase a Harley Tallboy seat and fine tune it with additional memory form. I hate to spend big bucks on a Mustang seat, and find it does not work. Would appreciate any input you may have from your own experiences.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I put the sun downer on my RKC and have been very pleased with it. There may be better or worse options out there but this one works just fine for me. I can do multi 600 mile days without any trouble from the seat.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have 30,000 miles in this HD leather touring seat and it is still like a lazyboy. Can be found for around $250.00 on fleabay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, I won't use anything but Mustang. I've found that for long distance they can't be beat. They do have a return policy if you buy from them. I bought one that way too wide, sent it back for another that was better fit for me.

I recently purchased a 2011 FLHR. I took several long trips of about 400-500 miles per day. And by the end of the day my legs were killing me, and my butt was dead. I replaced the floorboards and brake lever with extended ones. But the seat I feel is the big problem. I seem to be sitting both too far forward and too low in the seat. It was suggested that I purchase a Harley Tallboy seat and fine tune it with additional memory form. I hate to spend big bucks on a Mustang seat, and find it does not work. Would appreciate any input you may have from your own experiences.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a stock Ultra I ride and my friend rides a Boulevarde. Took a trip to New Mexico last year " 1100 miles in 4 days " easy riding I thought, my friend was in bad shape on that trip. On the way back, he said he would give a $1000 for a good seat right then. He bought a mustang when he got home. This spring we went to Big Bend, 1300 miles rnd trip. He never complained once on the whole trip, in my mind, that speaks for itself. When we got back from Big Bend, another friend that went with us on both trips, he rides an RK, when we got home from the BB trip he bought a mustang. I am very comfortable on my Ultra all day. But, the Mustang seat has made a big difference for my friends.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have an 07 Deluxe, I always felt like i was to close and was being "scooped" under, I had my seat shaved at a auto upholstry shop, cost me $40 and was the best money i've spent, the good thing about that is you can change it if its not right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a stock Ultra I ride and my friend rides a Boulevarde. Took a trip to New Mexico last year " 1100 miles in 4 days " easy riding I thought, my friend was in bad shape on that trip. On the way back, he said he would give a $1000 for a good seat right then. He bought a mustang when he got home. This spring we went to Big Bend, 1300 miles rnd trip. He never complained once on the whole trip, in my mind, that speaks for itself. When we got back from Big Bend, another friend that went with us on both trips, he rides an RK, when we got home from the BB trip he bought a mustang. I am very comfortable on my Ultra all day. But, the Mustang seat has made a big difference for my friends.
deleted reply, read the thread wrong

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sundowner

I had the sundowner seat on my 2002 Road King clkassic and on my 2010 Street Glide. I absolutly loved that seat for comfort. On my Streetglide I wanted a more hot rod looking seat, so I went with the Corbin Gambler.. This is also a comfortable seat but after about two hours of straight riding it can start to hit your pressure spots. Sundowner all the way for hours of comfortable riding.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I looked at Mustang, Corbin, Russell --

Now we're seriously considering the H-D Road Zeppelin. It's air adjustable and 20" wide. The stock SG (FLHX) seat is 16" wide, and the others I look at come in at about 17 1/2". My specs in a seat are that it need be wide to support hips and adjustable so allow for dialing in rider position -- changing rider position.

The Road Zep also accommodates H-D back rests and passenger grab rails. I have both and want to keep them. It's spendy compared to the other options. But the people I talk to who have them -- 500 mile /day riders -- swear by them. The big attraction being that they're adjustable, which is a make or break on a long ride.

Road Zeppelin® Air Adjustable Seat

This remarkable seat removes pressure points and "hot spots" by adjusting the amount of air contained in each bladder within the seat. Three easy-to-reach rocker™ switches on the side of the seat control the built-in compressor, adding and bleeding off air with the quick push of a button. On a long run, occasionally inflating and deflating the air bladders reduces the "numb butt" effect by improving the blood flow to the extremities. It features two adjustment zones for the rider and one for the passenger, and a redesigned internal air compressor that adjusts the air level nearly twice as fast as the previous version. The ergonomically-friendly seat design features a narrow front nose for ease of touching the ground at a stop, with a wide seating surface for long range rider and passenger comfort. This easy-to-install vinyl seat accepts a rider backrest and passenger grab rail for additional touring comfort. Seat width 20.0"; passenger pillion width 14.5".

51072-09

Fits '08-later Touring and Trike models (except FLHXXX). Installation on '12 FLTRXSE and FLHXSE3 models requires removal of fender trim strips. Seat width 20.0"; passenger pillion width 14.5".

MSRP US $729.95

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sit on the mustang myself. It's never let my butt down yet. Had my stock seat redone with memory foam. No comparison. Plus, mustang tells you which seat you need based on your height and weight. Plus they do have a good return policy.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I picked up a used SE seat, practicly new.#51995-10A.. Lowered me and the best comfort ever. Leather... I hear it came stock on 2010 Road Glide..

·
Banned
589 Posts
Installed the Road Zeppelin Thursday and rode it back home 125 miles. LOTS of support. The backrest blends into the seat now, grab rails snug up nicely. Easy to install, basically plug and play. (Turn on your accessory switch!)

Solid support up the back of the pelvis, lower back. Wraps around the hips, cushy, like an air mattress.

I bought this specifically for long-distance touring, 500 mile day plus, day after day. No comparison this 20" wide saddle provides compared to 17 1/2" Corbins, Randalls, Mustangs . . . It's an adjustable air bucket.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sit on the mustang myself. It's never let my butt down yet. Had my stock seat redone with memory foam. No comparison. Plus, mustang tells you which seat you need based on your height and weight. Plus they do have a good return policy.
Where do they do that? I have not seen anything on their website.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts