V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing the HD 55914-98 Touring Pullback bars or maybe the Flanders's F1 or E1 bars on my Street Glide since I end up with "knife between the shoulder blades" pain after 100 miles or so.

The HD catalog states that new cables and brake line are required. Is that really the case or can the stock line and cables be rerouted somehow to accommodate the bars?

I called a couple local stealers and they give me an expensive list of braided lines and cables. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on braided lines for a $49 set of handlebars!

Anyone know if HD sells 2" longer than stock versions of the standard black cables and brake line? If not, are there any aftermarket manufacturers you know of that make quality parts? Either way, part numbers are much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The throttle/idle cables "may" fit, you'll have the must trouble with the brake line. There is probably a longer version (in black), but not sure which one. There is detailed info on how long the braided cables are (in the P&A book), haven't seen that same info for stock cables.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
The 2" longer cables ARE available in black, gotem on my bike with the touring bars. As far as needing them, the clutch cable got changed on mine because I put on an Easy Pull kit, and figured for $20 to change the cable on mine already had 25K miles on it. The Throttle cables would have worked ok, but I put on an SNS carb and with the different angle, the stock ones wouldn't fit. I did make the brake line work, but it took awhile to get it bent to where it followed the handlebar. I would get the bars, put em on, and see how your cables fit. I've heard you can reroute the clutch cable inside the fairing to make it fit, but it would be tight. I don't know the cable numbers, but they DO exist.
Jerry

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I installed those bars on two of my buddy's EG Ultras, one an 02 and one an 04. Yes, you need longer cables. No you don't have to buy the braided ones from HD. There are other options out there on the web. But you have to lengthen them. Braided lines are best for brakes, no flex in the rubber hose, more sure stopping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts