V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am anticipating that I'll be taking some longer trips on my steed.

Currently I have on order a Mustang wide studded solo saddle and fender bib.

I plan to remove the short back rest.
This will leave me with only the solo seat and nothing more.

My questions all roll up into this basic thought.
How will I haul my gear.

I'm thinking that I'd like to take my change of clothes, and toilet kit, small tent, rain gear, and the likes.

I know there are a lot of choices, soft bags, hard sided bags and the likes.

I think I prefer the idea of throw over saddle bags, soft sided. Where would I carry the tent ?

would I have to relocate the rear turn signals to do this ?

All ideas and suggestions are welcomed,
Thanks in advance !!!

Mikey

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
The Mustang seat is a good idea.

I've used saddlebags on a FXR2 and have decided that I'd rather have a bag that attaches to a sissy bar, and maybe another that uses a luggage rack behind it. So instead of losing the sissy bar altogether, I'd slide the short one you have out of the uprights and get a slightly longer (long enough to suit whatever upright bag you choose) one in its place.

My saddlebags are soft-side (but actually pretty stiff) leather. They leak water when it rains, generally look cruddy, and require the use of stiffener frames that bolt onto the fender struts. And they don't hold much of anything, either. Bigger bags look (IMO) ridiculous on a bike of this size. But I suppose you could forego style for complete functionality.

Plus, a sissy bar bag will mean you can leave the turn signals where they are.

And behind the sissy bar, there are numerous bolt-on luggage racks that will support a second upright bag. Don't know how much stuff you intend to carry--think about how many days out and what season (cold/hot, wet/dry).

Check Kuryakin for a large array of bike luggage. T-Bags also has some good stuff.

One more thing you might think about is a small windshield--[edit: never mind, I went back and looked at your photos.]

Tent? I did that in the 1970's. Nowadays, camping out is a black and white TV in the motel room.:laugh:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FXR2

FXR2 said:
The Mustang seat is a good idea.

I've used saddlebags on a FXR2 and have decided that I'd rather have a bag that attaches to a sissy bar, and maybe another that uses a luggage rack behind it. So instead of losing the sissy bar altogether, I'd slide the short one you have out of the uprights and get a slightly longer (long enough to suit whatever upright bag you choose) one in its place.

My saddlebags are soft-side (but actually pretty stiff) leather. They leak water when it rains, generally look cruddy, and require the use of stiffener frames that bolt onto the fender struts. And they don't hold much of anything, either. Bigger bags look (IMO) ridiculous on a bike of this size. But I suppose you could forego style for complete functionality.

Plus, a sissy bar bag will mean you can leave the turn signals where they are.

And behind the sissy bar, there are numerous bolt-on luggage racks that will support a second upright bag. Don't know how much stuff you intend to carry--think about how many days out and what season (cold/hot, wet/dry).

Check Kuryakin for a large array of bike luggage. T-Bags also has some good stuff.

One more thing you might think about is a small windshield--[edit never mind, I went back and looked at your photos.]

Tent? I did that in the 1970's. Nowadays, camping out is a black and white TV in the motel room.:laugh:

1) sissy bar - I thought this too, but thought that it would look strange behind a solo saddle.
1a) to get around that silly look, I was thinking that maybe I'd spring for the passenger pillion and only put it on with the wife wants to ride, or I'm off on a trip.
1b) If I did that, then I could also put on a quick detach luggage rack for a second bag behind the sissy bar

2) I hear ya on the soft throw over bags. I've seen some on bikes that look pretty bad
2A) I hadn't thought about the water getting into them in the rain .... DUH !!!!!!!
2b) yeah I don't think that fixed bags would look good on this bike..... and the stiffeners could get to be a hassle putting on, taking off, and don't look good on the bike when the bags are off.

3)I've looked at the Tbags, NICE STUFF, also I'm looking at some of the bags that Saddlemen has, looks pretty good in the cat, but I've never seen any in person. Their writeup reads good on them

4) I have a HD quick detachable touring windshield on the bike now. I like to look of the bike without it, but rarely ride without it. I don't like the noise, or the bugs without it.
I know what you mean about rider fatigue too without, it does make a big difference on long mileage days.

here's the setup a couple years ago .... some small changes since then
1) I cut the windshield down 2 inches so I can look OVER it
2) I put wide glide handlebars on it .... I could still be a little closer to the bars for more comfort, but it's pretty good now.
3) I'd still like to get rid of that chrome strip on the dash

5) tent ? LOL
the wife and I did that in the 70's too !!! I still REALLY LIKE IT, the wife likes your idea :)
I'm with a combination, some tenting, some motel-ing.
Depends on if I'm alone, in a group, or just with the wife.

Thanks for you tips and thoughts !!!!

Mikey

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
Maybe that chrome trim could be removed and the gauge console would still cover the valley in the tank.

Attachments

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
fxr4mikey said:
5) tent ? LOL the wife and I did that in the 70's too !!!
Do something nice for that wonderful woman.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
This mess is why I bought an E-Glide :wavey:
It's tough to pack all that stuff on any Superglide or Sporty.

It's a lot better way to travel but I do miss the FXR sometimes and will likely own another as a second bike someday.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you have a big tent :)

Y2K - you're right, it's a challenge to get all your gear on a sporty...... but I like it :)

I can put my tent inside of yours LOL
here's the tent that I use when I'm bicycle camping, and it's the same one I use when motorcycle camping.

I've since gotten rid of the white bicycle for this one, which is MUCH SWEETER !!! :)

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
It is black, so it must be faster!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yoooooooooo hooooooooooooo

my new mustang saddle will be here Monday or Tuesday

so today I decided to take the fixed side plates off and remove the sissy bar, since my new saddle is a solo

WHAT A PITA !!!!!!

In order to remove the side plates of an 2000 fxr4 you have to remove the top bolt for the shocks, and you have to completely remove the bolts holding the turn signals and drag the wire back out of the fender and then slip the plate over the wire.

Getting the bolts out for the shocks, and then back in, while the tire is still mounted is a PITA !!! There's no room in there.!!!

I put a 140 metzeler tire in the rear, (metzeler in front too) and man is it tight back there ........... but it looks cool !!
Not to mention how much better the metzeler's are than were the stock dunlops. I've been happy ever since I went to them.

I'll post new pictures next week after the new saddle is on.

I had to buy the hinge and latch hardware for the seat. I looked all over the place trying to find it on the cheap.... no luck..... got it at the stealer for 125 clams !! add that to the cost of the seat and it is getting to the upper limit :)

oh well, what is comfort and looks all about anyways LOL

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
fxr4mikey said:
Y2K - you're right, it's a challenge to get all your gear on a sporty...... but I like it :)

I can put my tent inside of yours LOL
Heh heh,we traveled with a small tent for a while and the ground got harder every year.
Our tent is a 9'X9' Coleman 6' tall and has quick connectors so it goes up in 2 minutes (nice in foul weather!) we also have a queen size pillowtop air mattress and electric air pump that plugs into the bike,it airs up in about 2 minutes.
Then we carry two sleeping bags,one goes on top of the mattress unzipped and the other we use as a blanket,very comfy.:yes:
Oh and lets not forget the Coleman camping pillows,they are nice soft flannel and pop out of drawstring storage bags that take up very little space but are about 2/3rds the size of a normal pillow when deployed.
We even have a mini Coleman battery powered lantern that hangs from the tent roof.
One tip I'll share for anyone thinking about getting into tenting that hasn't done it.
Treat your tent prior to heading out with seam sealer and a high quality spray on rain shield like Scotchgard outdoor.
It sucks having your tent leak in a big storm!
Another tip for packing is https://www.spacebag.com/travelbag/902315/ these are great space savers!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Y2K - you're right !

Heh heh,we traveled with a small tent for a while and the ground got harder every year.
It's still getting harder !! Just in case you hadn't checked it in the last year or so :)

Our tent is a 9'X9' Coleman 6' tall and has quick connectors so it goes up in 2 minutes (nice in foul weather!)
We have a bigger tent like that which we use when we take the pickup, which hasn't been for years :)

we also have a queen size pillowtop air mattress and electric air pump that plugs into the bike,it airs up in about 2 minutes.
SWEET !!!!!!!!!
I use a self inflating sleeping pad. MUCH better than the old foam one that I used to use. It packs in a very small space and keeps me off the ground. :)

Then we carry two sleeping bags,one goes on top of the mattress unzipped and the other we use as a blanket,very comfy.
YUP, that's how we do it when the wife and I camp together.
Unless it's really cold, then we get into our own bag cause it's warmer, or so it seems. Now that we're 60 we don't seem to cuddle as much as we used to when we were in our 20's .... just one more of them things about getting older I guess.

Oh and lets not forget the Coleman camping pillows,they are nice soft flannel and pop out of drawstring storage bags that take up very little space but are about 2/3rds the size of a normal pillow when deployed.
Now that I could use for sure. I usually use some of my packed gear for a pillow. It's not the best that's for sure but saves a small amount of space when packing.

We even have a mini Coleman battery powered lantern that hangs from the tent roof.
Now that beat's the hell out of the headlamp that I put on my head !!!!!!!

One tip I'll share for anyone thinking about getting into tenting that hasn't done it. Treat your tent prior to heading out with seam sealer and a high quality spray on rain shield like Scotchgard outdoor. It sucks having your tent leak in a big storm!
I double that advise !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
fxr4mikey said:
1) sissy bar - I thought this too, but thought that it would look strange behind a solo saddle.

If you are touring bags will be on the fender so it won't even be noticed

1a) to get around that silly look, I was thinking that maybe I'd spring for the passenger pillion and only put it on with the wife wants to ride, or I'm off on a trip.

That's what I did, Mustang solo with passenger pilon.

1b) If I did that, then I could also put on a quick detach luggage rack for a second bag behind the sissy bar

Do it, you won't regret it.

3) I'd still like to get rid of that chrome strip on the dash

I replaced mine with a leather strip that has a pouch on it, it looks great and is very useful.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
more than half bummed out

fxr4mikey]my new mustang saddle will be here Monday or Tuesday
The new saddle came today. I put it on, it fits, mostly.
It doesn't fit clean and neat up by the tank. It leaves a pretty big space between the front of the saddle and the bottom of the tank. Also from the back it doesn't look good at all, to me anyways. I did get a fender bib too, and I put that on, it looks much better with the bib.

Riding the saddle. So far I have only went down the street and back. Tomorrow I'll get some miles on it.

I'm bummed about about this too :(
Reason is, the mustang sits higher than the stock saddle, and is wider in the nose too. So I went from being flat footed while stopped to be tipy toe ..... which I DO NOT LIKE.

The ride on the saddle feels good, it has a nice feel to it and of course is much wider and more supporting than the stock.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo, I'll ride it as much as possible in the next few days, and then decide if I'm gonna send it back.

I had to buy the hinge and latch hardware for the seat. I looked all over the place trying to find it on the cheap.... no luck..... got it at the stealer for 125 clams !! add that to the cost of the seat and it is getting to the upper limit :)
Not to mention that I have 125 calms in the seat hardware that I had to get from the local stealer just to get the seat on .... more bumming out

I'll take pics tomorrow and post

another good plan shot in the (!)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I bought a Lazy Rider bag and love it. I can now remove my saddle bags and have a rear back rest plus storage. It locks and will come off in a 60 seconds.
I will place a sizy bar bag rearward for extra junk. Keeps the bike clean.
Windshield, floorboards and forward rest, it is an all day bike now. And still handles great.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ruger44 said:
I bought a Lazy Rider bag and love it. I can now remove my saddle bags and have a rear back rest plus storage. It locks and will come off in a 60 seconds.
I will place a sizy bar bag rearward for extra junk. Keeps the bike clean.
Windshield, floorboards and forward rest, it is an all day bike now. And still handles great.
Thanks for the lead, I'll check out that bag for sure !!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I know there are a lot of choices, soft bags, hard sided bags and the likes. I think I prefer the idea of throw over saddle bags, soft sided. Where would I carry the tent ?would I have to relocate the rear turn signals to do this ?
All ideas and suggestions are welcomed,

fxr4mikey.....

As for saddle bags here is a link to what I did with my 1999 FXR2 for touring, notice what I have is "quick release" as these bags come off in a couple of minutes....

(When you go to the link pay special attention to make sure you read "all" of the posts...after the initial 5 photos you will see a script that says <first when clicking on this it will take you to the very first posts in order of progression if you fail to do this you will miss some additional photos that are posted, it should make sense when you go click below):

http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/evo1340.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1123373&LastModified=4675623513766851951

If one were to decide to use this set up with an FXR3 or an FXR4 it would require some "drilling" of the side pannels as one of the "pins" to fasten the saddlebag to is secured to the frame under the "coverage" area of the plastic side pannels. The FXR2 does not have this issue as you will see that the side pannels on these bikes have less coverage due to their smaller size. If one decides not to drill their "original" side covers....one could always purchase a second set of side covers to then drill them while not harming the original ones....I am not saying this would be cost effective, but merely a "plausable" option.

Perhaps this may help you or someone else in the future....

Regards,

"ClassicRider"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts