V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone agrees that the license plate mount on the Road King is terrible. Has anyone mounted the plate below the light bar? What kit did you use? Did you change the taillight lens? Do you have pictures?
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
I put the Lay Down plate from HD on my 1998 RKC. Now, about that big ugly bill board of a plate for the Electra Glides?
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
H-D sells a kit to do that, while a little pricey it does come with a lot of stuff. They give you the short bullt style turn signals and the lic place mounts directly underneath it. It is real sharp looking. It comes stock on the 05 s/e electraglides. The P/N is 53702-04 247.95 I also agree with Geezer glide that the laydown plate is sleek looking....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Here's what I did with mine. Used the bracket from Softbrake.com. The turn signal bar came with my bike. I now have lights where the old license plate bar was cut off. I post recent pictures if someone wants to see them.
 

·
FNG
Joined
·
320 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
Here's what I did with mine. Used the bracket from Softbrake.com. The turn signal bar came with my bike. I now have lights where the old license plate bar was cut off. I post recent pictures if someone wants to see them.
please post some more pics. This is a winter project that I have planned for my FLHRS.

thanks
d.
 

·
doof member
Joined
·
719 Posts
dmize,

I just realized where you are. I bought the same black vivid rk custom (04) from Lake Erie Harley. I'm right up the road in Westlake. Are you a HOG member in Elyria?

Budking:duh?:
 

·
Another Great Day to Ride
Joined
·
963 Posts
Here are a few options for you:

This one mounts it behind the bag. I just bought this and will install it as soon as I get by bike back from the shop:

Fireman Joes.

Here is the HD Kit that was mentioned before. This is stock on the FLHX:

Bullet Rear Turn Signal Bar and License Plate Relocation Kit.


Here is one that in essence does the same thing as the HD kit:

Stainless Steel License Plate Relocating Bracket.

Here is one from Ness. This one loses the turn signal bar altogether:

Drag Specialties Billet License Plate Mount.

There are also some alternatives to plugging the holes that removing the license plate bar will leave.

Autogem Shotgun Lights.

or

License Plate/Grab Bar Eliminator.
(Scroll down on this one a little and you'll also see the various end caps they offer).


Here is a good example of one bike for you:

From Mocc's Place

He's also using the AutoGems Shotgun lights...

Hope that helps!

E :cool:
 

·
FNG
Joined
·
320 Posts
BUDKING said:
dmize,

I just realized where you are. I bought the same black vivid rk custom (04) from Lake Erie Harley. I'm right up the road in Westlake. Are you a HOG member in Elyria?

Budking:duh?:
wow...thats cool. I just got my bike in sept. from up at Roeders in Sandusky. I havent joined the Elyria HOG yet, I just got my HOG packet in the mail. Are you in that chapter? Looks like we both bought the fastest color HD makes hahaha

its nice see someone local on the forums...

----edit---

Dam E... thanks a ton for the links. I'm really diggin that one where it relocates it by the bag. I love the look on the customs when they hang from the rear axel area, and with a bagger thats the closest I'll get I would imagine... thanks again...

d.
 

·
Another Great Day to Ride
Joined
·
963 Posts
dmize said:
Dam E... thanks a ton for the links. I'm really diggin that one where it relocates it by the bag. I love the look on the customs when they hang from the rear axel area, and with a bagger thats the closest I'll get I would imagine... thanks again...

d.
I bought that bracket from Fireman Joe's and it's a pretty nice, solid piece. A little more than I would have liked to have paid, but, I'm happy with it. I also bought an LED License plate light from Radiantz. This set-up should give the fender a much cleaner look after it's all said and done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Removed the stock POS bar from the rear fender struts. Grabbed some spare 3/16" plate in the garage and made the license plate bracket in about 15 minutes. Painted it w/ rustoleum gloss black and it bolts up using the same mounting points as the turn signal bar uses to connect to the rear fender. Then 20 bucks for a laydown rear lens with the clear light on the bottom and it's done.
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Nice ideas for sure. I was hoping to get something that looked nicer than the stock Electra Glide Classic bill board license plate bracket. Nothing out there that I can find that will also hold up my tour pack. I'm not going to put on quick release setup just so I can put on a pretty license plate bracket.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
dmize said:
please post some more pics. This is a winter project that I have planned for my FLHRS.

thanks
d.

Here ya go. The first few are of how it is now. The last two are different angle before I had the license plate bar cut off and lights installed. I really like the rear profile of my bike now. Everything has a flow to it.:thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
ernster500 said:
What lights did you use there, hdmarsh?

Unfortunatly I can really say. I have a buddy who is a wrench at my dealer. I did the license plate relacation and I wasn't sure about the bar. I'd thought about the "tailgunners" from J&P. He said he knew of some little lights that would work. He picked them up from a truckstop between Madison and Chicago where he's from for $10 and they just fit right into the bar that he had cut off and he wired them into the lighting circuit.

But, essentialy, they are just the "tailgunners" for a lot less.
 

·
FNG
Joined
·
320 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
Unfortunatly I can really say. I have a buddy who is a wrench at my dealer. I did the license plate relacation and I wasn't sure about the bar. I'd thought about the "tailgunners" from J&P. He said he knew of some little lights that would work. He picked them up from a truckstop between Madison and Chicago where he's from for $10 and they just fit right into the bar that he had cut off and he wired them into the lighting circuit.

But, essentialy, they are just the "tailgunners" for a lot less.

I'll have to look when I get home... but doesnt the grab bar bolt off? or did you literally have to "cut" it off?

d.
 

·
Another Great Day to Ride
Joined
·
963 Posts
dmize said:
I'll have to look when I get home... but doesnt the grab bar bolt off? or did you literally have to "cut" it off?

d.
It does simply unbolt. But, when you take it off, there are "holes" left where the bar once was. If you don't fill the holes with something, it kind of gives it an unfinished look...


E
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top