V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a trip to my dealer yesterday I decided that this Forum was the next stop. I find my new FLHT to be somewhat dangerous in one respect, the shorty mirrors. I noticed that all of the touring family the dealer had on hand used the same shorty mirror. Can anybody see directly behind themselves with these? I really am not all that wide, but I can see myself and /or the lanes on either side just not a vehicle behind me. In checking his inventory of custom parts there are a few different types available but mainly in how ornate they are, otherwise there seem to be two choices shorty or long. I believe that a stalk one to two inches longer would provide all of the adjustment necessary, but the long version really stick out there. I suppose there are no such things as adapters to lengthen the stock ones. Being something so basic to riding I am probably the only one who fell off the turnip truck, but just how do you all see them cages bearing down on you?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They have 2" extensions for the mirrors, but they are not the answer. The short mirrors work OK on the RoadKing because the bars are wider. I just use the long stem mirrors, and they work fine. Sure they stick out, so what?, at least you can see.

They have those oval so called billet mirrors, but nothing works as well as the long stems.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I use the fairing mouted mirrors--like the look. Haven't really had any problem with visibility issues, before or after I changed to the fairing mounted version. Much of riding is a matter of choice and preference. What works for me, maybe won't work for you. If it works for you, go for it. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More Mirror

As usual, thanks for viewpoints, it appears that long stalks will have to be the way to go. Have not seen the fairing mount type other than one pic in the accessory catalog, and it appears to sit in front of the speaker housings, which would put them too close in to see. Seems to me the shorty was a strange choice for OEM. At least I am somewhat glad that I had not missed something hugely obvious, like they were on backwards. .Now if only I could figure out how to turn the slot for a radio into a usable glove compartment, another thing would be off my lengthy "have to do" list in getting ready for tour to Vegas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A perfect solution

Had the same problem with my 02, but liked to stock look. Although there are extensions available in the older catalogs, and still available, i fond that the chrome long stem mirrors (91904-88) @$22 are identical except for the length. A perfect solution

·
Registered
206 Posts
LOng Stem Only Way For Me...

I couldn't see anything other than my arm in the stock mirrors.

Tried the 2' extensions, didn't work at all.

Went with the long stems -- I like them a lot. I can actually see behind me!

Didn't try the fairing mirrors. They look good, but they are further away, and I felt I wouldn't have as good of vision...

Worth what what you paid for it...

Mitch

('02 FHTCI)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long Stemmed

Was able to check out a better picture of the Fairing Mount Mirrors and for me they will not work at all, being they would mount a little low and forward also my hands would be in the way, darn they look nice. Looked up the recommended 91904-88 and could only find a rightside mirror as a 91904-88A in a convex type, the left match appears to be 91902-88 both at $27. There are also two others about the same, apparently not convex but have no other data.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yo - Bugeater, I had the same problem on my "94 ultra bagger. The mirrors were the first to go. I put the long stems on , and that solved the problem for me. later ~ Hog:cool:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Mirrors

I had similar issues with all of my Ultra's. I finally went to one of the Kuryakyn models. They extend further and are available in both convex and concave. These work great for me. Plus, they are pretty reasonable relative to other aftermarkets and Harleys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Right side

Correct, I only gave you the # for one mirror. (figured if you start there you'd find what you need) Hay i'm not the parts man. Just a solution that worked real well for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my 02FLTR, thought it was just me. Guess I'll have to switch to the long stem also since I can't see a damn thing behind me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mirrors

Ok, have been to the dealer and picked up some mirrors and highway pegs. I can give somewhat of a review now. I definitely should have followed Cathari's advice and went with the #91902-88 and #91904-88A long stem convex mirrors that look just like the stock units at $27 apiece. Instead, I got sucked in by the good looks of the chrome embossed eagle over "Live to Ride" inscription version of the long stems. These are #91874-93T and 91862-93T at $26.95 per, and have a couple problems: they are an inch or two longer than the first pair mentioned, which may be why they vibrate quite a bit, and they are not convex which gives less of a view rearward. Hope this helps anyone interested.
While I'll have to keep my choice of mirrors, the new pegs will have to go back since the chrome peeled from the brackets when they were tightened. There's always something.

·
Registered
415 Posts
pasadenajim said:
I use the fairing mouted mirrors--like the look. Haven't really had any problem with visibility issues, before or after I changed to the fairing mounted version. Much of riding is a matter of choice and preference. What works for me, maybe won't work for you. If it works for you, go for it. :)
As Pasadenajim says....he does!
I put them on my FLHT 2 years ago,and love em. I think you will too...

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts

Originally posted by pasadenajim
I use the fairing mouted mirrors--like the look. Haven't really had any problem with visibility issues, before or after I changed to the fairing mounted version. Much of riding is a matter of choice and preference. What works for me, maybe won't work for you. If it works for you, go for it.

Originally posted by Ralph
As Pasadenajim says....he does!
I put them on my FLHT 2 years ago,and love em. I think you will too...
Really like the look, what's the install process? Is there any cutting involved?

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Find this whole discussion interesting. I have ridden for some 40+ years and have had just about every mirror configuration you can think of and some that you'd NEVER think of. Have had mirrors that you could see nothing behind you to mirrors that you could see real good. Mirrors that vibrated so bad that you'd hypnotize yourself if you looked into the too long. I currently have a set of Mirage on my LowRider and the faring mount mirrors on my UltraGezzer. Can't complain about either configuration.

I think one of the key things with what every mirror configuration you decide on is you have to do a "head check". I don't care which mirrors/configuration you use you have to turn your damn head and check. You don't do the "head check" you might find it up your arss, literately.

My $.02

Ride 'em safe and contiune to pray for our troops !!!
o~\o

·
Registered
70 Posts
HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH MIRRORS,BOUGHT LONG STEMS DIDNT LIKE THE LOOK, BOUGHT EXTENSTINS DIDNT LIKE THE LOOK. BOUGHT THE ANNIVERERSY MIRRORS SHORT STEM TEARDROP SHAPE AND LOVE THEM GOOD SIDE AND REAR VISION LOOK GREAT.

BOB

·
Registered
758 Posts
hogg831,

If you want to go to the fairing mounted mirrors, you have to pull the outer fairing and drill into the inner fairing to mount them. I personally like them due to the wider view, but stay with the stock ones, cause I want all my bikes to be set up the same way for safety's sake.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Mark1 said:
hogg831,

If you want to go to the fairing mounted mirrors, you have to pull the outer fairing and drill into the inner fairing to mount them. I personally like them due to the wider view, but stay with the stock ones, cause I want all my bikes to be set up the same way for safety's sake.
Thanks Mark1

·
Registered
305 Posts
Texan said a mouthfull, folks. Do the head check.

I'm using the Muth Signal Mirrors http://www.kwmuth.com/products/kits/images/vehicles/harleydavidson.jpg and like them a lot, BUT - I accidently broke one of the mirror's glass - no problem I says to myself, I'll just return that mirror to their factory to replace the glass. No way, Muth says, the glass is trade marked - you gotta buy a whole new mirror (over $100).

I'm still fighting with the president of the company over this - and I WILL win.

PS - I have used and really like the long stem HD mirrors also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts