V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Superglide which I recently purchased. I love it, but it is usually in the 30's-40's here this time of year and no matter how much I bundle up I still seem to freeze my butt off when riding. I can make a short 5 minute ride no problem, but I live 30 miles from town and that ride is almost unbearable. Maybe I am just a wimp. Anyway to my question. I was at the dealer the other day looking at an Ultra Classic and with deflectors it looks like you would not catch much wind. It looks like your hands, legs, body, everything is shielded, at least a lot more than on my bike. Does this help as much as it looks it would? I want to ride as much as I can, but I have to dress up as an eskimo to get anywhere.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The fairing, lowers, and wind deflectors do help quite a bit, but you still get wind and cold. Not as much as your bike, but its a motorcycle. A neck scarf/muffler does help some too. Some riders where snowmobile suits or similar. If you really want to be toasty, heated grips, gloves, seat, vest, chaps, etc will work, but at a price.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The big touring rig is all the difference, for the most part your whole body is protected from the wind. I had a Dyna low rider. I put a windshield. It was helpful but that size bike is a little breezy. I don't know how much money you have but you could put on a windshield, get yourself some good cold weather gear. jacket pants..gore-tex. ..and an electric vest...this works pretty darned good. I use the electric vest riding the Ducati, if your core is warm it just makes for a better day. Being cold on a bike sucks..and it's dangerous as a person can be preoccupied with being cold and not the task at hand..riding. I'd look hard at getting an electric vest no matter what you ride.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Well a touring bike is a big help, the times that I've ridden a bike that didn't have a fairing or lowers it was so much more colder that I had a bad case of Turttle Dick.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have a Superglide as well and can ride all day in the 30's provided I have a windshield and electric gloves and jacket liner. Without the electrics, it is just too cold.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I've had several bikes and the Ultra I have now has greatly extended the riding season for me. I don't have any heated gear and try to wear the thinsulate stuff.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Yes it does help, but a Dodge helps more!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Not sure of your rideing exp., so this may not be neccesary - but even if you bundle up alot, but don't wear the right type of clothes that have the correct closures around the cuffs and neck, etc. you will still be cold. For me, close up the neckline, gloves that fit OVER my sleeves, goes a long way to being comfortable. Also, I have found that fleece is great. Since I ride both a softail custom and an fxr, both with small windsheilds, I have had to deal with the cold often. I used to try two jackets, or a bulky sweatshirt underneath, but none of that works for me like a fleece sweatshirt under my leather and a long sleeve shirt under that. Not nearly as bulky and has been much warmer I found. Good luck :wavey:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
With my Ultra I'll ride to work (30 miles one way) down into the low/mid 30s and stay reasonably warm without heated gear. To stay as warm on my FXSTI I have to cut it off at about 50 degrees. So yeah, all the fairing w/lowers really helps to block the wind. You still get cold since it is in the 30s but not nearly as much as you would without the wind protection.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a windshield and hand wind deflectors (National Cycle) on my FXD. I wear the rest of what is needed to keep warm. A heated liner is essential, in my view. A full rain suit helps tp keep out wind and/or dampness. I have ridden down to 34 deg. Below that I'm afraid of ice, not temp.

So you can add a $1000 in clothes and accessories or buy an EG for lots of $$. You'll still need most of the clothing if you ride below 50, so the real cost difference is a windshield and heated liner.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have a windshield. The main part that gets cold is my hands, and legs. The electrics looks like it might be the way to go. Certainly cheaper than a new bike. I have never seen a bike with the electrics. I assume you wire up some type of plug on the bike and then plug the gloves, etc into it? Seems like there could be a rats nest of wires going everywhere.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Underarmor leggings over jeans, long sleeve turtle neck T-shirt, fleece hoody, jacket, handkerchief around neck, knit cap under my beenie helmet, face mask made of wetsuit material, gloves and goggles if it's really cold. I ride real comfy into the high 30's if it's dry and if it's sunny, I'll ride all day! If it's raining or wet....
....well, I'm taking a shorter ride!
When I had my fxsts, no way I'd ride in weather that cold high 40's were about as cold as I could go...
No lowers but I'm getting some of those soft ones!

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
msocko3 said:
Well a touring bike is a big help, the times that I've ridden a bike that didn't have a fairing or lowers it was so much more colder that I had a bad case of Turttle Dick.
:roflback:

I litterally laughed out loud on this one. Thanks for making my day. HAHA

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here's what I wear and I have ridden to work (30-35 miles) with the temp at 15 degrees.

- Fleece jacket, Down vest and a snowmobile jacket.
- Jeans, Cabela Polartec 200 fleece pants and a pair of chaps
- Cabela silk glove liners and Cabela GORE-TEX® Pinnacle Gloves
- Two pair of socks and a pair of 20 year old Dunham work boots or Chipewa Harness boots in warmer weather.
- 10 year old AGV Full face Helmet with scratched visor (can't find replacements anymore) and silk Balclava. I wear a half helmet when the temps warm up.

If you don't mind spending the money get a pair of electric gloves and jacket liner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
bdog1234 said:
Thanks for the replies. I have a windshield. The main part that gets cold is my hands, and legs. The electrics looks like it might be the way to go. Certainly cheaper than a new bike. I have never seen a bike with the electrics. I assume you wire up some type of plug on the bike and then plug the gloves, etc into it? Seems like there could be a rats nest of wires going everywhere.
No rat's nest...just 1 plugIn

Works great.

:whistle:

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
I ride down to zero on my Road King. Here is my list from the top down.

Balaclava
Full face helmet with a fogcity insert
Poly under shirt, cotton turtleneck, Warmnsafe electric jacket liner, Leather jacket.
Gerbings electric gloves
Poly longjohns, LL Bean Thinsulate lined jeans, chaps, Two bandanas to tie off the legs so wind doesn't blow up.
Poly socks under Wool socks with thinsulate lined work boots.
I ride an hour on the slab each way to work year round snow permitting.
I'm going to upgrade to Gerbings electric pants and socks for next year. I'm sure I could go below zero with it.

But then again my friends think there is something seriously wrong with me. I have about 700 miles on the bike for this year already while living in NH.

The hard part is keeping the salt at bay. I prefer to ride below freezing because salt is less of an issue without water.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
You definitely don't need an ultra to keep warm nor do you need a windsheild. However, you will need gear. I always dress in layers when I ride and it is cold out. Good thermal, followed by jeans, followed by windbreaker on legs, and I am good there for TN ridding. UP top, thermal, sweatshirt, wind breaker, and Leather Jacket. For face I use a balacalva. For Gloves, I put liners on then the outside pair of gloves. Thats no electric involved and I am plenty warm. I have considered getting the heated gear since it would involve wearing less, but for the money involved in getting all that gear I can buy alot of parts. So, until it gets to the point that I think it warrants paying that much for a full electric gear setup, I think I can get by.

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
Glad I live in town. I rode today taking care of a few errands. Gotta love those traffic lights.:xhere:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts