V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2010 Limited in December, 2009. Have 26K miles so far. I am almost 62, 225#, 6'-1". Maybe this will help someone on their accessorizing decisions. I'm not championing this stuff, but if I had to replace my bike, I'd buy all these parts again.

• T- Bags backseat touring bag - TB9100DBB. Got this AFTER installing the H-D adjustable backrest and I like it much better. Obviously only for solo trips.

• H-D pullback touring bars. Eliminated soreness between shoulder blades. $149.95

• Harley Zumo Garmin 660. Had guilt pangs due to price, but it works fine. Like the way it looks inside fairing, but plan on another $40 for mount kit. With a lot of dealers on 20% plan, it becomes a little more bearable. The H-D dealer icon came in very valuable when a buddy broke down in the boondocks of Iowa

• Shorty antennae. Radio reception same, like the clearance when putting on bike cover

• Shorty windshield - ~ 8" from top of shield to fairing. Only $60. Lets me look about 2" over top of shield, sends air above my helmet

• IPhone holder. I made my own and put it on right side. Added a NAPA power outlet to the right side of inner fairing, so I can now charge the phone while riding

• Scala G4 - great for Bluetoothing music from iPhone. Helmet-to-helmet is works fine, but we experience a dropping out problem that requires rebooting one phone. Attempting to work with Scala on this

• Quick release gas cap (H-D) - handy, but mind needs a little tweaking to open easier

• H-D digital oil temp gauge - works OK, a little pricey. Someone needs to design one that sits between speedo and tach in the little V

• H-D rear shock airpump \ gauge. Works flawlessly

• T-Bags Dekker roller bag - fits luggage rack perfectly, easy on and off. My bride uses it for her regular suitcase . . . Be careful with rain cover; I didn't have it secured well enough and the first one blew off. Replacement cost $29!

• V&H Power Duals, Monster Ovals, Drak Air Filter, and FuelPak - no problems with install, runs cooler, appears to have more power, enough noise for me. No decrease in mileage

• H-D Hammock seat. Tried Sundowner and having stock seat modified twice, but this is the best so far

• Kurakyn (I think) Tour Pak organizers - top and wall. Very good

• Cup holder - Kustom Kruiser, I think. Mine's on the left

• J&M 7-1/4" front speakers - not an audiophile, but sound better than stock. $275

·
Registered
42 Posts
09 FLHT, I bought Kromewerks +2 sweepers for $69 and a oem Ultra seat for $250.

Those two mods made a world of difference in riding comfort.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very nice - thanks for the post - I'm new to the HD scene and Touring scene, so its very helpful to see how others do things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One thing that I add for peace of mind is the pager for the security system. If I have to be out of visual contact (or asleep) the pager will alert me if someone messes with my prize.

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
Nice list.. I will check a few of them out.. Here are some of mine...

Performance Machine Contour XL grips.. If you have large hands, get bigger grips, it really helps when you are putting on miles... My hands thanked me...

Properly fitted bars.. I am running LA Choppers 13" Prime Apes... They are wider and taller than the stock bars.. They allow me to sit properly without hunching over... Check out as many bars as you can before deciding, it's an expensive / time consuming change.

Highway pegs. I am using the switchblades that mount under the floorboard, but get what makes YOU feel comfortable.. Having alternative places to put your feet is invaluable.

Tourpak.. Don't now how I went so long without one...

CRUISE CONTROL... Must have for long miles... Right hand / wrist will thank you...

Properly fitted windscreen.. Make sure the wind goes over your head... You'll ride further with less fatigue.. Your neck, ears, eyes and head in general will thank you.

Good insurance.. make sure your policy covers your bike AND all the accessories / modifications you have done. If somebody takes it or Heaven forbid you lay it down, you want it returned to the condition you worked so hard to put it in.

These are what I consider must have changes... I didn't like the Harley rider's adjustable backrest, so I am going to checkout that T-Bag you listed.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I agree with most of additions. I also have some wind deflectors on the batwing, have several windshields-had to try several before ending up with the Klockwerks 6 inch recurve, have a tire pluggin' kit, my favorite tools, an HD backrest,power ports for my Gerbing gloves and vest, heated grips for the cold, and a few more engine mods.

Great post and a nice thread to start to get us all thinking about all of the things we do to personalize our bikes. I had to think about some of the things. Gettin' old....

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
I forgot to mention SUSPENSION...

My God what was I thinking..

I did Progressive Monotubes / 940's and their Touring Link..

The package works great together, there are better ways to skin the suspension cat, but this one worked good for me.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Nice post/list ol' buddy. Tricking out a HD is almost as much fun as the riding. As you know I love to google and study up on things, then try to find the best price out there. And since Ol' Blue was stolen I have the opportunity to trick out another one. Although it tends to get in my pocket a bit. Heck, I once heard that they ought to give you the bike since they know you are going to buy lots of stuff to trick it out.

I just remember what you said about the wife wanting to redecorate a perfectly good house. Tricking out the a perfectly good bike is no different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love the thread.

A few of my favorites have been:

• Harley air deflectors for the RG - reduces buffeting
  • Ohlins #3-3 shocks - huge improvement
  • Metzler 880s - roll into and out of corners really well
  • Sancho's Wings for the RG - really cuts the updraft down
  • Soft lowers - great in the rain so you don't have to wear the damn booties
  • HID headlights (55W/5000 lumen version) - you'll never go back
  • A good horn - Harley's compact air horn has great deep tone, Bad Boy rocks too
  • Luggage Rack - forget the off the shelfs, buy the detachable luggage rack mount and put a big piece of diamond plate aluminum on with eye screws for tie-downs.
  • Rider adjustable backrest - don't like ridin' without it now

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
I forgot to mention SUSPENSION...

My God what was I thinking..

I did Progressive Monotubes / 940's and their Touring Link..

The package works great together, there are better ways to skin the suspension cat, but this one worked good for me.
You also forgot your stereo upgrades.

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
You also forgot your stereo upgrades.
Yeah.. The stereo upgrade is nice. But it isn't one of the high priority things.. If I had it to do all over again I would do it in this order:

1) Stage I - Exhaust / intake / TTS or Thundermax
2) Suspension -> Rear shock / Front shocks / Stabilizer
3) Bars / Grips / Cruise Control
4) Seat
5) Tourpak
6) Lowers
7) Stereo
8) Engine upgrades, currently 107" TW-408-44 Baisley Heads etc.
9) Aesthetics, wheels / fender / chrome / etc. etc.

BTW - Currently running JVC KD-AVX77, Arc Audio KS125.4, J&M 7.25" speakers... Will be installing Fat Baggers iPad fairing inner after it's been out a little while, use the amp I have and switch out to Focal speakers in the fairing / lowers... :)

Then it's time to paint this bike and call it done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's a pic of the rack I made. Much better and capable of handling luggage than anything I ever found. This thing is sturdy, easy to use, and can handle about any bike luggage made.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'll add my two cents though they're coming from a newbie with a 2011 Street Glide so be warned. My favorite upgrades are listed below in no particular order:
1) The J&M’s ROKKEr Series 7.25” Speaker Kit off Custom Dynamics. It's an incredible speaker kit complete with some dynomat-like padding and outstanding speakers. I highly recommend it and honestly while I run it off the Arc Mini...you really don't need an amp with these beauties.
2) The Harley LED headlight and passing lamps. Yes, they're costly but for me it's a safety feature at night. I can see so much better with them at night.
3) The Custom Dynamics LEDs for my turn signals with smoked lenses.
4) My 7" light grey Freedom Shield. Much improved over stock for just $100 and customer service was top notch
5) The Boom Audio iPod® Interface. Once again, it's expensive but this upgrade allowed my to keep my iPod in my saddle bag and control everything through the stereo and using my handle bar stereo controls. How cool is that?

And no one asked this but I bought the Boom Audio interface and Harley LEDs through Foster Harley online. I got a very good deal on them (well below MSRP) and will keep coming back to them for any Harley item at a great discount. Just be sure to have your part numbers handy.

So there's my two cents. I plan to do a Stage 1 upgrade this season so all my upgrades so far have been non-performance ones. I hope this helps.

Clay

·
WFO
817 Posts
Yeah.. The stereo upgrade is nice. But it isn't one of the high priority things.. If I had it to do all over again I would do it in this order:

1) Stage I - Exhaust / intake / TTS or Thundermax
2) Suspension -> Rear shock / Front shocks / Stabilizer
3) Bars / Grips / Cruise Control
4) Seat
5) Tourpak
6) Lowers
7) Stereo
8) Engine upgrades, currently 107" TW-408-44 Baisley Heads etc.
9) Aesthetics, wheels / fender / chrome / etc. etc.

BTW - Currently running JVC KD-AVX77, Arc Audio KS125.4, J&M 7.25" speakers... Will be installing Fat Baggers iPad fairing inner after it's been out a little while, use the amp I have and switch out to Focal speakers in the fairing / lowers... :)

Then it's time to paint this bike and call it done.
You don't think the big ol iPad in the middle of the dash will be a distraction?

Considered it but not sure i would make the mover. Must say it looked pretty kewl in their White Limted Razorback

·
WFO
817 Posts
1.) C&C sporttour seat modified for additional 1 inch back 1/2" lower
2.) Bars homemade version of MonkeyBars 13" 36" width.
3.) Progressive mono tubes/940
4.) Renegade Wheels 18/140 front 200/18 rear Metzler tires
5.) 103 kit 10.5 comp reworked head woods cam tts D&D
6.) Rack for short hauls/KingTourpack for longhauls
7.) SonyDSXs-100 deck/biketronics install kit,titan Amp Biketronics 6.5 Speakers
8.) Klockwerks Shield i run either 3" or 6.5"
9.) Retro rubber grips from Harley work well with big hands
10.) Cyclevisons Taillight
11.) Lose all the Harley Emblems powdercoat bike Black. Black is faster.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts