V-Twin Forum banner

Tour Pak relocator kit

9K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  zeke1883 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the Kuryakyn relocator kit for an '05 Ultra or Classic tour pak?

What have you liked or disliked?

Any other options for relocating the '05 FLHTCU tour pak???

#2 ·
I installed a Corbin seat on my '02 E-Glide this summer & the rider position was 1" farther back, which meant the wife lost an inch so installed the kit.
With the Tour-Pak 2" farther back she gained some room/
Don't regret it at all, although a little pricey for a few pieces of chrome. Didn't affect handling at all & it's nicely done, fits all the stock mounting holes perfectly.

#6 · (Edited)
franksam said:
Has anyone used the Kuryakyn relocator kit for an '05 Ultra or Classic tour pak?

What have you liked or disliked?

Any other options for relocating the '05 FLHTCU tour pak???
Over on the FLHRSEI.org site, there are a few threads that list another product made by a retired indivudual (I will try to find the link with the pictures.) He does not have a web site but the product is first rate. Just installed one on my 06. Provides 1.25" or 2.50" additional clearance. I believe around $90 including the shipping. Take a look at it before you do the Kuryakyn. Others have commented this is much better and costs less.
Try this link: you may have to page down to get to the picture. George Anderson is the individual who sells them... If you talk to him, ask him what he did for a living before he retired. Tell him which model you have. If you have a 06 CUSE it requires different bolts.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1131928627

#8 ·
I got an 03.

Has anyone just redrilled the holes in the bottom up 3/4' inch. I can't find it now but I know I read this once. I'm curious how this holds up (cracks etc.)

I just need to gain a little to use my backrest and the passenger mounted tourbag. Thing pushs up on my backrest now and I'm too cheap to dump the $200 for the kuryakyn just for a couple tours a year. Haven't considered the detach system either cause I never take the pizza box off. Don't want to waste the time/effort and find I don't gain anything either. Suggestions???? appreciate any ideas on a plate or other gizmo.

Thanks

#9 ·
NCR52 said:
Over on the FLHRSEI.org site, there are a few threads that list another product made by a retired indivudual (I will try to find the link with the pictures.) He does not have a web site but the product is first rate. Just installed one on my 06. Provides 1.25" or 2.50" additional clearance. I believe around $90 including the shipping. Take a look at it before you do the Kuryakyn. Others have commented this is much better and costs less.
Try this link: you may have to page down to get to the picture. George Anderson is the individual who sells them... If you talk to him, ask him what he did for a living before he retired. Tell him which model you have. If you have a 06 CUSE it requires different bolts.

Now that's what I'm talking about! I've had an idea like that for a while now in my head. I think I'll give him a call. Curious how much it raises the tour pack up? Looks like maybe 3/4"?

#10 · (Edited)
Mister Breeze said:
I got an 03.

I just need to gain a little to use my backrest and the passenger mounted tourbag. Thing pushs up on my backrest now and I'm too cheap to dump the $200 for the kuryakyn just for a couple tours a year. Haven't considered the detach system either cause I never take the pizza box off. Don't want to waste the time/effort and find I don't gain anything either. Suggestions???? appreciate any ideas on a plate or other gizmo.

Thanks

Tried to send you a PM with some information. Can't send it to you...your box exceeds storage limit.

I found a relocator for much cheaper than the $200. Yeah, I considered a drill job...but decided to go the easy route. Had a plate created on my '02 Standard with the detachable unit, but the '05 is set up just a bit differently.

Send me a PM if you want details of the purchase.

OH NO !!!!! Just checked out the link in a post above....and I spoke with George 309-762-6291. Priced right...delivery immediately...great guy...guess I'll have a Kuryakyn tour pak extender for sale!!!!

#11 ·
Well I got my bracket from George in three days. Put it on last night and it seems that it will do the trick for me. Seems like a fair price and the guy was a pleasure to do business with. Not really sure why the bolt holes on the left side of the bracket(when mounted) are slightly of center ......but it works:thanks:

#12 ·
Mister Breeze said:
Well I got my bracket from George in three days. Put it on last night and it seems that it will do the trick for me. Seems like a fair price and the guy was a pleasure to do business with. Not really sure why the bolt holes on the left side of the bracket(when mounted) are slightly of center ......but it works:thanks:
I had trouble with the last bolt on the front right side. Had to back off the other 3 a little bit (did not have them in very much) but finally got all four to where I was sure I was not cross treaded.
All downhill from there.:clap: I am surprised the stock set up is not set up with more room to start.
George is a very nice guy to work with. And the product was good quality.

On another site, a member indicated that someone from HD (CEO???) was looking at the rack on his bike at a local grand opening of a new dealership back East. He was very impressed and wanted to contact George.

Glad everything worked out ok for you.

#13 ·
George's rack

Whoops, how's that for a post title???

Received the tour pak relocator rack from George in two days. He's a great guy to work with. The same day, the Kuryakyn kit arrived...ordered it before I heard about George's.....Kuryakyn was more expensive and took longer to arrive.

I'll be putting George's relocator rack on the bike this week. Then I'll have a brand new Kuryakyn kit for sale. I got it for a great price...so I'll be posting it in the Classifieds later.

#16 ·
NCR52 said:

I've had George's kit on my Ultra since last year, and it's great. Very solid mount, easy to install, and the 2 1/2" is great for the wife.

George is great to deal with, and includes everything need for the install.

You can't go wrong with this kit, and it's 1/2 the cost of the Kuryakyn kit.....and allot easier to install.

Steve

#17 ·
how far back

pajoe said:
Currently my tourpak is about 2 inches from the edge of the seat, does this relocater move it back further yet? If so are you adding any extra padding for the passenger?
Either kit moves the seat back further...Kuryakyn is about 2''; George's has settings for 1 1/4 or 2 1/2. It is great for passengers when you're using the riders backrest. No extra padding required, it makes the ride much more comfortable for the rider. (Of course, here is where an offhanded comment about extra padding could be made at the expense of some passengers....BUT...that would be really bad form :duh?: ) My daughter is 5' and 100 lbs, and she loves the relocated tour pak. Well worth the cost and effort for your passenger.

#18 ·
franksam said:
Either kit moves the seat back further...Kuryakyn is about 2''; George's has settings for 1 1/4 or 2 1/2. It is great for passengers when you're using the riders backrest. No extra padding required, it makes the ride much more comfortable for the rider. (Of course, here is where an offhanded comment about extra padding could be made at the expense of some passengers....BUT...that would be really bad form :duh?: ) My daughter is 5' and 100 lbs, and she loves the relocated tour pak. Well worth the cost and effort for your passenger.
Thanks, if mine is already at 2" I would get nothing more from the Kuryakyn ; and 1/2 inch from using Georges, that is providing they had ones for mine - most are for '98 or newer Ultras. My concern is if I move mine back any further, the passenger sliding back against the backrest will actually be off the back of the seat. I am using the Mustang two up touring seat, which is about as big as I can get for mine. it can't be moved back any further or it won't cover the wires ect on the tank. I am thinking of making an adapter plate from mine, similar to the aluminum plates they use in router tables, this would allow me to set it any distance I want - I did need an idea on how far the rest are being moved back.

#20 ·
mike mercier said:
Does George's relocation unit make the tour-pak at all removable, in other words can it serve a multiple function: slide the tourpak back for two-up and let you detach it for scooting around town.

Only if you want to remove 5 screws from the bottom of the tour-pac everytime you want to take it off. It's the same process as if you wanted to remove the tour-pac from the stock setup......5 screws is all that holds it in place.

Steve

#22 ·
Mister Breeze said:
Just ordered one from George at 9:30a. Sez he's gonna ship it out today and put the check in the mail. The price is $130US, delivered. Hope I get it on Friday, cuz I'm heading out on Sat. to Colorado, then on tho Utah and Arizona.
He doesn't have a computer and one of his buds just set him up a website, but he can't view it. He was curious as to what other people have to say concerning his 'set-back' plate. I told him all the reviews I've read are nothing but positive. One thing. The MoCo has switched the bolt holes on some models. He had me look to see if I have 5 bolts protruding thru the mounting tubes, one in back and two on each side. If not, his product won't work.

#23 ·
I've had George's plate installed for a couple of weeks. Excellent all the way around.

1st 2-up trip with the wife last weekend. MUCH improved; she doesn't feel so wedged in and I am not sitting on the tank anymore. The wife is not exactly a whispy little thing (nicest way I can put it) so the extra room was a God-send.

With George's plate, the Tour Pak is raised up about 1/2 an inch as well since the TP sits on top of the plate. I thought this might be an issue or look odd but it actually works better. Looks great and now the TP backrest sits a little higher on the passenger's back giving better support. Since I'm switching to a Corbin Dual tour seat and it seems to put the passenger a tad higher this is all the better.

#26 ·
pajoe said:
Currently my tourpak is about 2 inches from the edge of the seat, does this relocater move it back further yet? If so are you adding any extra padding for the passenger?
The whole idea is for more room for the over 140lb club. if you put more padding, you defeat the purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.